Why don't transmission pans have drain plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot! I put too much sugar in my coffee. Should I use Auto RX? Should I buy a new coffee? Or should I spill and add coffee until its just right? Now my milk:coffee ratio is screwed up.

Drain plugs aren't used because automakers saved themselves $.25 at most. Toss in added profit for the dealer network(pan must be removed) and it seems that engineering includes all methods of screwing the consumer out of money. Toss in other plugless or sealed sumps and it gets annoying.

Some of the Ford factory service/repair manuals have a normal flush mentality to ATF removal.
Disconnect exit cooler line, attach long hose and aim in bucket, start vehicle and run until dry(2nd person needed), topoff and repeat until exit ATF is spotless. The so-called split flow worry is eliminated since ATF pan is pumped almost dry.
This will flush the torque converter.
This method has been used for years and is not a shadetree procedure. It is what the high profit flush machines base their simplicity on. With this method, there is dirty/clean ATF mixing only in the TC. Some of the ATF flushing machines that do not drain the pan 1st, mix dirty/clean ATF in the pan and then feed that mix to the TC. They are less than perfect. Technician competence is also needed.

Remove pan if you are only detailed enough to care for the filter/screen/magnets/adjustments etc. And, allowing the transmission to pump the pan dry will help eliminate the ATF shower.

Removing ATF from the filler tube is not an ATF service.
Vehicles with drain plugs make '1/3-1/2' ATF changes easier and should be performed more often.
Pan filters/screens backflush after shutting vehicle off. They dump what they just caught(gravity and lack of ADBV) and is one reason why some automakers use drain plugs and is why screen type filter replacement isn't required frequently.
If the filter/screen clogs, you have bigger problems than with the fluid or filter.

With the B&M drain plug kit you drop he pan, drill a small hole and instal the plug with hand tools. I have used the method of disconnecting the ATF cooler returnm line and using the trany to pump out the fluid. Works quite well. It's also easy to shove a 2nd drain pan under teh car while you are changing your oil and allow the ATF to drain. Easier also.

To all the people complaining about balancing a pan full of transmission fluid: have you tried loosening the pan bolts one end at a time?

I have a rather large oil drain pan, and loosen all the pan bolts, and remove the bolts at one end of the pan. The weight of the fluid will push that side open, draining 99% of the fluid out. Very little mess.

Yep,i dropped my tranny pan today.After loosening the bolts enough to stuff a small hose inside, and pump out the fluid with a hand drill-pump. The last quart was no problem or mess.
Ron
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back