Who's Running Oversize oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are Americans and we will [censored] any language we want. I before e except after c and the 584 other instances where that is not true.

It is no wonder I flunked English class.

I had an 84 caprice classic with a 305 that I ran the larger truck sized ph5 on instead of the ph30. I never understood why Chevy used a smaller filter on the cars.

My wife's car specs a larger filter than the factory filter or the same exact vehicle 2 years older. They used to use a pf48 and now the use a pf63. Gm even back speced all the older model years to the pf63. I have heard lots of speculation as to why.

I am going to use the larger pf63 on my truck which only called for the pf48 once I get my large stash of short filters used up. I have enough to get me to 200000 miles at 5000 mile Oci. I am only at 60k now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Was his windscreen dirty? How 'bout them tire hubs? Were they al-u-mini-um? Do you believe you can "run" an oil filter?

you mount your tyres on hubs?! my tyres go on my wheels..
my hubs are pressed into bearings supported by the steering knuckle, have a splined ID for the splined OD of the CV joint, and are 4x100 pattern.

Aluminium is recognised by the periodic table of elements (The issue there is Americans being too lazy to use every letter in the word...like "colour", for example.)

If an "oil filter" is a colloquial name given to a race, then yes, you can run it.
If you're talking about a spin on or element type filter to be used for filtering motor oil, you don't "run" it, you "use" it.

I vote "American" be classified as its own language, you sure don't speak English!

Stone the crows, mate! Taking a PF 47 off of a 4.3 is bloody pants! Just put a PF-52 on, and Bob's your uncle. Sodding brill!

I have used PF52 equivalents on our PF47 applications for years without issue, however they all have plenty of room, no clearance issues. I'd not do it if there was the slightest clearance issue.

I am also running an oversize on my Jeep right now. I found it interesting that the Fram rep that often posts here also admitted he frequently oversizes, even though Fram (and all filter makers) tell you not to do it.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Because they're from America where half of what they say is grammatically incorrect.

Three-quarters of Britons are saying it wrong

Any nation which calls an automobile part a "bonnet" .....

bonnet.jpg

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Has anyone upsized a Subaru WRX/STI? Pipe is close but could go longer and slightly wider. Subie filter is scary tiny. (Yeah I know)

Yes, it is tiny scary to support the insanely high oil pump volume output on those engines.

Originally Posted By: Olas

If an "oil filter" is a colloquial name given to a race, then yes, you can run it.

All oil filters are in a race to be the #1 seller in the rat race.
grin.gif

My car takes any filter that is the same dimension size as the Fram PH3614.

I once ran an actual PH8A and it did fine. It was an Orange Can.

I have a big filter stash, but none right now are bigger than my Pure One, which is the equivalent of a PH3600. There are several Bosch Distance+ filters there, and even a Fram Extended Guard, XG3600 which is the Ultra's predecessor. All of the filter stash examples save two are of the better to high end filter types.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Because they're from America where half of what they say is grammatically incorrect.

Three-quarters of Britons are saying it wrong

Any nation which calls an automobile part a "bonnet" .....

bonnet.jpg

...or a "boot"
lol.gif
(J/K Olas
wink.gif
)

I run an EaO 64, when the manual calls for an Eao32 sized filter (in Amsoil's numbers, I forgot what the numbers are in everything else, i.e.; Wix, M1, Bosch, etc.).

Originally Posted By: richport29
Can anyone confirm a Fram XG3980 can be used in place of a XG3387a?

Yes I can. The XG3387A is equivalent to the AC Delco PF47 and the XG3980 is equivalent to the AC Delco PF52. Both can be used on a GM 3800 V6, although is you're driving a Pontiac Grand Prix, some people have said the lower control arm will strike the longer filter.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: richport29
Can anyone confirm a Fram XG3980 can be used in place of a XG3387a?

Yes I can. The XG3387A is equivalent to the AC Delco PF47 and the XG3980 is equivalent to the AC Delco PF52. Both can be used on a GM 3800 V6, although is you're driving a Pontiac Grand Prix, some people have said the lower control arm will strike the longer filter.

That's exactly what I'm driving, 02 Grand Prix GT:)
I'll stick with the shorter filter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back