Who here has switched from PP to M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that switchers usually go from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum. Not vice versa. Many say that M1 caused their engines to be noisier and pp quieter. Just wondering.

I believe ToyotaNSaturn just put in some M1. He has been using PP for a while. Hopefully he'll chime in, or you can PM him.

I've used both M1 and PP in the same engines, and I really didn't noice any difference in noise.
Both Accords are now on M1, and both have had PP in the past.
To me, it's really a matter of who is offering the best price, maybe with MIR.
Both Accords will run through my 32 qts of M1, and will then go on a PP diet, since I have at least 40 qts of it from last year's MIRs and closeouts.

Now that Pennz Ultra is on the market, I don't know if the plan is to drop Pennz Plat or not. If so, I'll probably switch to Mobil1 Synthetic.

I had to switch to M1 (Ford P71) due to above average oil consumption while on a road trip last summer

I've gone back and forth, and now am running M1 in 2 of the 3 vehicles, and PP in the other. I've perceived no difference in noise in any of the 3 engines, so call me a skeptic of that stuff. I'll be trying Pennzoil Ultra if the price is reasonable, probably in the Jeep first, then the Chevy. The Solstice won't see it until fall at the earliest, because I don't put enough miles on it to do more than 1 oil change a year. (However, I do run it hard, all the time, when I do drive it. :)

I prefer to run M1, mainly to support an American company, but the ultimate deciding factor is the one with the best deal at time.

Originally Posted By: BovineScapegoat
It seems that switchers usually go from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum. Not vice versa. Many say that M1 caused their engines to be noisier and pp quieter. Just wondering.

I made the switch a year ago this past December. What I discovered was a quieter running engine, that was after close to 20 years using M1. I saved a few $$ too.

I've ran both. No noticeable difference is "smoothness or noise". However, my car consumed more oil on PP so I went with M1.

I read here, people having some issues with oil consumption when they made the switch to PP. Those people were told to stick with it for a few OCI's and things would go back to normal. I had no problems at all making the change. The vehicle I switched from M1 to PP used no oil before or after the change.

I've heard some mention this with PP, not all though. My Ranger used zero oil when using PP. My brother has an 07' F150(5.4) and he uses PP. It uses about 1qt per 5K, but it did the same with M1 and Motorcraft, been this way since new.

BTW, my brother has went from M1 to PP, PP to M1. No difference, quiet and same oil consumption rate.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This guy:

Quote:
By the way, I switched back to M1 after trying PP because my car didn't like PP. It drank it 1 qt per 3000 kms. "

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1712405

PP's volatility is quite lousy, so it doesn't surprise me.

That volitility is what bothers me. I've been using M1 5w30 EP for a while now. Ran some PP 5w30 for one OCI, The engine had much less valvetrain noise with the PP, but made my seeping valve seals much more apparent as the puffs of smoke got worse. I recently put a bottle of the Whitehead's stop leak in the car with the 5w30 EP in there now and it's seemed to have almost stopped smoking completely. I like that the PP is much quieter but I don't want to start seeing smoke agaain. I hate these choices but I'm probably going to stick with the M1.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Originally Posted By: The Critic
This guy:

Quote:
By the way, I switched back to M1 after trying PP because my car didn't like PP. It drank it 1 qt per 3000 kms. "

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1712405

PP's volatility is quite lousy, so it doesn't surprise me.

That volitility is what bothers me. I've been using M1 5w30 EP for a while now. Ran some PP 5w30 for one OCI, The engine had much less valvetrain noise with the PP, but made my seeping valve seals much more apparent as the puffs of smoke got worse. I recently put a bottle of the Whitehead's stop leak in the car with the 5w30 EP in there now and it's seemed to have almost stopped smoking completely. I like that the PP is much quieter but I don't want to start seeing smoke agaain. I hate these choices but I'm probably going to stick with the M1.

Try M1 0w40. I'm running it in the Expedition right now. Better cold starts over the Delvac 1 5w40 I was running for sure. We are now running it in two 5.4's and REALLY like it. No consumption at all. Both engines are very quiet. The only thing that made them "loud" was 5w20.

I just started a recent topic about this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1790500

Consumption on Platinum for the little Saturn seems to be about 1 qt ever 2K or so. Time will tell how much M1 0w-20 AFE (SM) will be consumed by this engine.

PP was never consumed on the wife's Vue with the Honda 3.5L V6. Amazing to me. Went 7K on the last OCI with PP and the oil level didn't move. Better engineering, no doubt.

PP 5w30 in my Forester since new until 50k km. I tried M1 0w40 and there was an obvious difference. The M1 quieted down the boxer engine considerably on acceleration. It didn't feel as rev happy or peppy though. The cold start piston slap was also more noticeable, most likely because everything else was a little quieter. Oil consumption was identical at 1/2 quart every 6-7k.

Ran the oci out and switched back to PP 5w30. Why? Because I have lots of it and can't justify spending double for the same oci.

Ive been all over the map. Redline, Amsoil, Mobil One, PP now GC. In about a year and a half ill either get Mobil One HM 5W30 or PPU. This is in the Tacoma.

I have been using PP in the wifes kia sorento for quite a while. Over the weekend though it got an oil change using Mobil clean 5000. I only switched becouse the shelf prices seemed to have really jumped in the last month or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back