White Cans of Death - torn pleat, ADBV failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Originally Posted By: webfors
I posted a Purolator Classic with a small tear in it a while back. I had two left in my stash. One will be coming off in the next few weeks for my normal OCI and it will be dissected. I also plan on taking my Dremel to the last un-used one just for fun. This is the last nail in the coffin for me when it comes to Purolator. I did get a Bosch Premium from AZ with the Magnatec oil change special last week for my wife's Frontier since they didn't carry the Delco PF63 I needed. I understand they are made by Purolator. Will I be safe for a 5K OCI with it or am I playing with fire here?

Whether you do or not, please be sure to cut and post after use.

I definitely will. Not sure about pictures. I can't remember how I did it before. Also, the pictures that I did post disappeared within a few days of posting them. My memory for something like this is lacking. I had to ask for help here in order to do it before. Think they sent me to picture bucket or something.

Well, I did dissect the aforementioned virgin Puro Classic. While I didn't see any thing wrong with the media, other than the wide pleat spacing at the seam, I was concerned about the anti drain back valve. It was literally stuck to the base plate. It took an unnerving amount of force to break it away. Would the oil pressure be enough to break it away? Since I don't know how to read the manufacturer code, I've included it in this response in hopes someone can tell me when it was manufactured. If construction was recent, I would be worried. F12D20E2

Last edited:
Well, I did dissect the aforementioned virgin Puro Classic. While I didn't see any thing wrong with the media, other than the wide pleat spacing at the seam, I was concerned about the anti drain back valve. It was literally stuck to the base plate. It took an unnerving amount of force to break it away. Would the oil pressure be enough to break it away? Since I don't know how to read the manufacturer code, I've included it in this response in hopes someone can tell me when it was manufactured. If construction was recent, I would be worried. F12D20E2

Yes, the first time the engine was started, the oil flow would force the ADBV off the base plate.

The date code F12D20E2 translates to 12/20/2012.

Despite the tearing being a non mechanical issue, I don't get people still defending the brand.

Get a WIX or Fram and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Despite the tearing being a non mechanical issue, I don't get people still defending the brand.

Get a WIX or Fram and be done with it.

Just a case of folks living in denial. That is all.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Using a purolator white can for more than 3k is like drinking milk past its exporation date. It may be ok...but why risk it? Using a pureone up to 5k is just what I would recommend from my personal experience. After 5k I have noticed that the media gets too wavy for my taste.

This is nonsense. They are engineered to last longer than that.There ia a manufacturing defect and running a Classic for 5000 miles is not the reason they tear.The media on a virgin filter is not right because of the uneven spacing of the pleats. The tears seem to be where the pleats are widely spaced.

Lol if the company says change at 3k miles or 6 months which ever is first or oe specs is like saying use this diaper till it has poop in it or change it by tomorrow unless some other person says go ahead and sit in ur mess a while and let it fill up more how bad could the rash be anyways

They need to clarify their statements on their web page my truck olm is set at 10 k if I take a filter that is rated for (x) and then use it for (y) which is 2-3+ what they rate it at seems like pushing it a little to much especially when the filter is soooo cheap

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
In fact, the only report of high insolubles on a UOA I have seen lately was someone using a FRAM Ultra.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3687129/valvoline_synpower_0W20_7,162_#Post3687129

I ran one for double that mileage and the insolubles were 0.2. What does it prove? Nothing--no more than that one UOA does. You have to have trending to make an analysis on any aspect of a UOA. I opine there is more going on in that engine than the filter choice. Look at the MCs in my UOA stream--with conventional oil the insolubles were much higher than synthetic. Is the filters fault the insolubles rose with conventional and dropped with synthetic?

It proves that the higher insolubles were not captured by the uber filter that is purported to be filtering at some efficiency down into single digit microns.

Also on my advice on the Purolator, I recommended using the filters on hand and then switching to another brand.

That is rational advice, not knee jerk over-reaction.

Selling two or three more Ultras can't be that important to you FRAMpires.

^^^ No it doesn't. You are blaming the oil filter. One example one run. Maybe there was a significant air filter problem ingesting too much dirt, maybe the engine was generating a lot of insolubles that overwhelmed the filter to capacity, etc.

This is why one example is meaningless, especially when it is such an outlier. It is one of the first examples of any oil filter I have seen with that high of insolubles and I think points to a problem with the situation or engine and not the oil filter.

It proves that the higher insolubles were not captured by the uber filter that is purported to be filtering at some efficiency down into single digit microns.
If that is true, then how do you explain the MC filters in my UOA stream with higher insolubles with conventional and lower with synthetic? It was the exact same filter only different oils. BTW - I did not call you any names, so how about dropping the childishness? I am attempting to have a rational conversation on this topic from which we may all learn something not engage in a bunch of mudslinging.

Finally, the first legitimate reported tear for 2015. Congrats BITOG community. Its like a birthday, almost brings a tear to my eye. Too bad it wasn't sent to purolator for a warranty claim before it was opened though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Finally, the first legitimate reported tear for 2015. Congrats BITOG community. Its like a birthday, almost brings a tear to my eye. Too bad it wasn't sent to purolator for a warranty claim before it was opened though.

This filter should have been sent to Purolator to make a claim before cutting it open. It only costs about $10 to send it in plus a couple hours of time.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
This filter should have been sent to Purolator to make a claim before cutting it open. It only costs about $10 to send it in plus a couple hours of time.

How do you know it's a POS unless you cut it open?

Excellent question, in that sense the oil filter is the perfect product with nothing but a satisfaction guarantee.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Excellent question, in that sense the oil filter is the perfect product with nothing but a satisfaction guarantee.

In other words, close your eyes and plug your ears and repeat "there's nothing wrong with these filters, there's nothing wrong with these filters....."

the filter is still good, the filter is still good, the filter is still good....

Car-Fire3.jpg

*ok purolator has no confirmed links to massive vehicle fires, image used for amusement purposes only
wink.gif

Last edited:
Seriously, I am sitting on about 20 Purolator oil filters. I am not concerned enough to throw any of them out. All made before July 2014. Even with a ripped filter, its better than no filter. Like they said how do you know, unless you cut it open, which I will never do, so they all must be good.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
the filter is still good, the filter is still good, the filter is still good....

Car-Fire3.jpg

*ok purolator has no confirmed links to massive vehicle fires, image used for amusement purposes only
wink.gif

I am pretty sure this is because of the Chrysler 3.8. Lol.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Using a purolator white can for more than 3k is like drinking milk past its exporation date. It may be ok...but why risk it? Using a pureone up to 5k is just what I would recommend from my personal experience. After 5k I have noticed that the media gets too wavy for my taste.

This is nonsense. They are engineered to last longer than that.There ia a manufacturing defect and running a Classic for 5000 miles is not the reason they tear.The media on a virgin filter is not right because of the uneven spacing of the pleats. The tears seem to be where the pleats are widely spaced.

Most filters are manufactured that way, very few have evenly spaced pleats all the way around, I'm not sure I ever saw one. The Puralator filter media or gluing technique is sub-standard, end of story.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
If that is true, then how do you explain the MC filters in my UOA stream with higher insolubles with conventional and lower with synthetic? It was the exact same filter only different oils. BTW - I did not call you any names, so how about dropping the childishness? I am attempting to have a rational conversation on this topic from which we may all learn something not engage in a bunch of mudslinging.

My apologies for the FRAMpire label.

It was a thin attempt at humor and was unwarranted.

Still dino or synthetic, if there are insolubles in the oil, it is the oil filter's job to remove them to the limits of its ability.

The capacity of the mighty Ultra certainly couldn't have been eclipsed.

Surely it wasn't operating in bypass after 7,000 miles when it's rated at 15,000 miles and often recommended to 20,000 miles here on BITOG.

So that leaves the fact that insolubles were not being filtered out by the synthetic media or the bypass was faulty and flowing unfiltered oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back