White Cans of Death - torn pleat, ADBV failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I used them many many times with zero issues. But evidently some people did have some sort of issues or problems. Bottom left me is they came back with a really great product that turned the "tide" of public opinion back in their favor.

The Napa ProSelect and Silver (and Oreilly MG) are good replacements for this entry level filter. Run both with confidence.

There is simply no excuse for such a bad filter. Even the old supertechs at under $3 were a premium filter compared to these.

We stopped using purolater months ago now using jobber wix on the engines we build. The fram ultra seems like a nice filter also i am using one now on a friends escape 3.0 i will cut it open when she is done with it and post my findings

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Send oil filter to Purolator for their opinion what happened.

They will deny any problem with it. I have sent two filters back and they denied there was anything wrong. Don't waste your time.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I would highly recommend the Purolator Classic, excellent tough durable media, highly reliable and excellent filtration for the money. Can be had at walmart for all of $3.26 in my area.

As long as it doesn't tear.

Fortunately there have been zero legitimate tears reported so rest easy friend.

Trolling.gif
33.gif

Last edited:
I posted a Purolator Classic with a small tear in it a while back. I had two left in my stash. One will be coming off in the next few weeks for my normal OCI and it will be dissected. I also plan on taking my Dremel to the last un-used one just for fun. This is the last nail in the coffin for me when it comes to Purolator. I did get a Bosch Premium from AZ with the Magnatec oil change special last week for my wife's Frontier since they didn't carry the Delco PF63 I needed. I understand they are made by Purolator. Will I be safe for a 5K OCI with it or am I playing with fire here?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I posted a Purolator Classic with a small tear in it a while back. I had two left in my stash. One will be coming off in the next few weeks for my normal OCI and it will be dissected. I also plan on taking my Dremel to the last un-used one just for fun. This is the last nail in the coffin for me when it comes to Purolator. I did get a Bosch Premium from AZ with the Magnatec oil change special last week for my wife's Frontier since they didn't carry the Delco PF63 I needed. I understand they are made by Purolator. Will I be safe for a 5K OCI with it or am I playing with fire here?

Whether you do or not, please be sure to cut and post after use.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: Sierra048

Whether you do or not, please be sure to cut and post after use.

I definitely will. Not sure about pictures. I can't remember how I did it before. Also, the pictures that I did post disappeared within a few days of posting them. My memory for something like this is lacking. I had to ask for help here in order to do it before. Think they sent me to picture bucket or something.

Last edited:
OP I have made this point in the past, but I think it is worth bringing up again. These filters are just fine for short economy lines. Pushing them to the 5k mile range is just not what they are designed to do. Period. If you want a 5k mile oil filter, step up to the pure one (should be good to 5k) or to a Puro synthetic (should be good to about the 10k+ mile range.) Purolators are good filters, but you have to use the right tool for the job!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
OP I have made this point in the past, but I think it is worth bringing up again. These filters are just fine for short
economy lines. Pushing them to the 5k mile range is just not what they are designed to do. Period. If you want a 5k mile oil filter, step up to the pure one (should be good to 5k) or to a Puro synthetic (should be good to about the 10k+ mile range.) Purolators are good filters, but you have to use the right tool for the job!

The logic is flawed, as most of the reported tears were on PureOnes with around 5K or even less miles on them.

I will agree that if you want to use a Purolator without worry of failure, then go for the synthetic version.

Using a purolator white can for more than 3k is like drinking milk past its exporation date. It may be ok...but why risk it? Using a pureone up to 5k is just what I would recommend from my personal experience. After 5k I have noticed that the media gets too wavy for my taste.

Using a purolator white can for more than 3k is like drinking milk past its exporation date. It may be ok...but why risk it? Using a pureone up to 5k is just what I would recommend from my personal experience. After 5k I have noticed that the media gets too wavy for my taste.

Only problem is Pure Ones at < 5k have torn as well.

I have a Pure One on my wife's now which I will change next month.it will have 6k on it by then.
I will be putting on an Ultra.
I think the Classic was good for 5k and the PureOne used to be good for 10k but now I'm not so sure.
My problem is that I have 3 purolators in my garage and I don't know what to do with them.I guess I could find someone with a clunker and give em away.
That's what I get for having a stash of filters.

I wouldn't over react.

Use up the filters you have. Buy something new next time.

While everyone is torn up about the tears, there are no problems being reported.

It remains a big non-issue except among the FRAM loving cheerleaders on BITOG.

In spite of a small tear or two, plenty of filtration is still going on in the affected Purolators.

In fact, the only report of high insolubles on a UOA I have seen lately was someone using a FRAM Ultra.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3687129/valvoline_synpower_0W20_7,162_#Post3687129

This makes no sense the filters are rated to meet your oem oci spec if it be 3000 7500 or 10,000. According to purolator the p1 and clasic are rated to 3000 or as said above. This is not the same filters purolator used to make they obviously have issues and I hope they mitigate it. Until then you Are playing Russian roulette with them saying that you should shorten your oci because they lowered their standards is poor judgment. I don't need to put my hand in front of a rattle snake just to see if it will bite I'd rather just avoid them altogether.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
In fact, the only report of high insolubles on a UOA I have seen lately was someone using a FRAM Ultra.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3687129/valvoline_synpower_0W20_7,162_#Post3687129

I ran one for double that mileage and the insolubles were 0.2. What does it prove? Nothing--no more than that one UOA does. You have to have trending to make an analysis on any aspect of a UOA. I opine there is more going on in that engine than the filter choice. Look at the MCs in my UOA stream--with conventional oil the insolubles were much higher than synthetic. Is the filters fault the insolubles rose with conventional and dropped with synthetic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: tratman2000

This makes no sense the filters are rated to meet your oem oci spec if it be 3000 7500 or 10,000. According to purolator the p1 and clasic are rated to 3000 or as said above. This is not the same filters purolator used to make they obviously have issues and I hope they mitigate it. Until then you Are playing Russian roulette with them saying that you should shorten your oci because they lowered their standards is poor judgment. I don't need to put my hand in front of a rattle snake just to see if it will bite I'd rather just avoid them altogether.

Exactly. This isn't an application issue. This is a quality control issue. I would't use these filters if they were free.

While everyone is torn up about the tears, there are no problems being reported.

Hummm ... what's the first post in this thread about?

People liking Fram filters (or any other brand beside Purolators) has really nothing to do with people realizing and focusing on the problem with Purolators. The problem is a problem, no matter what other brands are available to use instead.

So if people like Wix or M1 or Amsoil instead of Purolators because they tear, then are they WIX/M1/Amsoil cheerleaders? Biased viewpoint - just sayin'.

I wouldn't over react.

Use up the filters you have. Buy something new next time.

In spite of a small tear or two, plenty of filtration is still going on in the affected Purolators.

Wrong. Some of us have higher standards on quality control. It has nothing to do with brand bias.
Reminds me of the same people that refused to see the risks with ecores. That is brand bias. Refusing to accept the reality in front of your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back