Which oil for a spotless engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any quality conventional at 5k. I am not sure synthetic prevents varnish like some here claim. I think it is more dependent on how the car is driven.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Merk, please take off a valve cover on your Buick and post a picture of what it looks like. I'm dying to know since you tell us all that our extended OCIs are making a filthy engine. I'd like to see what an engine that has been overly-serviced looks like under the valve cover.

I second that request. If we get say 100 will he do it?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why does an engine need to be spotless?

Because I'm the mechanic type and everything has to be clean. I spend 95% of the time cleaning and 5% of the time doing the actual repair.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Pennzoil Platinum changed every 5k miles.

Are you sure 5000 miles is not too long?

I'm talking about ZERO varnish. I'm talking about as clean as an unopened BandAid.
crackmeup2.gif
Oh god Merk you are too funny.

Maxlife at 4 months or 1700 miles, whichever comes first. Do that 4 times.

No short trips unless you let the engine idle long enough to get up to full operating temp.

You have to take into account the application as well..

Here is an engine of mine, pushing 600k+ with no end in sight in livery service. I made a stupid mistake and stripped threads while changing an idler pulley on this Lincoln Towncar 2004 Ultima. So, to change the front cover I had to take off a lot of other things, e.g. wipers, valve covers, etc. One of the brilliant engineering moments that every make and model has going and waiting for you somewhere. No one to blame in my case but myself. 6 hour job. This car has its upholstery/leather replaced twice, but the drive train is all original. Easy application - mostly highway. After the warranty expired, all it sees is M1 0W-40 at double OLM. I have them all logged and documented, most are 16k miles, but there were a few 8k miles. Sorry for the poor pic quality, pictures were not on agenda that day.

I would guess that oils high in ester would serve your purposes, so I would look into Red Line and Motul, if you want no speck of colour at all.

ygNqlfJ.jpg

Feb 8, 2015

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What's wrong with a little varnish?

It's a foreign substance that's not supposed to be there.

Would you buy a new engine with varnish on it?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Redline oil

What OCI ?

Redline = 7000
Mobil 1 = 6000

Go a different route. No one complains about varnish on a diesel motor. So buy a VW TDi. 10k OCI at a min. No worries about varnish at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back