Which HPL oil for my F150

Ive finally decided to try HPL oil in my truck and extend my oil changes a bit. 3.7 Cyclone currently sitting at 233k miles, super small leak from the valve covers at the VVT solenoid grommets, no level drop on dipstick. Id like to stick with 10W30, been using it awhile, not sure if I should go with the No VII 10W30 or the diesel CK-4 10W30. Id like to go 7-8k between changes.

I currently have Amsoil 75W140 in the rear end with 30k on that fluid. Ill change it in another 40k at 273k unless its good to go longer. I rarely tow anything. I was considering HPL 75W140. Are their gear oils good?

Are the above mentioned oils API certified, and if not, does it actually really matter?

Just be aware the Diesel 10w30 is not CK-4 it is FA-4 I'd vote for the PCMO 10w30. Yes the gear oils are excellent and proven over and over in tortured applications.

It's HIGHLY likely that you simply don't need anything but their PCEO; it's been proven to run 20k miles in severe conditions and still provide excellent wear protection, outstanding TBN retention, and fantastic cleaning. You don't need the no-VII lube or anything above the PCEO, as the Vulcan engines are extremely easy on oil.

In fact, you don't need HPL at all if 7-8k mile OCIs is your plan... but if you want to try HPL, I'm going to state that you might as well start at their lowest offering to save money. Seriously, HPLs lowest offering (the PCEO) is FAR superior to most other lubes out there. There's not reason to go above that level for anything less than 15k mile OCIs. I know it's the BITOG way to overdo anything worth doing, but take my word for it (I used HPL as well), you're not going to need anything past their PCEO.

I also strongly recommend that you change the filter at 1/2 the OCI intervals for the first two changes. The HPL oils have a lot of cleaning agents in them and they will load your filter up. Cut the filter open and you'll be amazed what's coming out of the engine.

Not to diss OP or his F150 3.7, but this would be a much more interesting question if he had a fuel-diluting Gen1 3.5 Ecoboost. FD is one reason I hesitate to buy into the 15k+ interval hawked by HPL fans. Not that the HPL isn’t better/best, in fact I believe it is, but a high quality UOA might still condemn the oil LONG before 15k if 4-5% fuel were present. No?

Ive finally decided to try HPL oil in my truck and extend my oil changes a bit. 3.7 Cyclone currently sitting at 233k miles, super small leak from the valve covers at the VVT solenoid grommets, no level drop on dipstick. Id like to stick with 10W30, been using it awhile, not sure if I should go with the No VII 10W30 or the diesel CK-4 10W30. Id like to go 7-8k between changes.

I currently have Amsoil 75W140 in the rear end with 30k on that fluid. Ill change it in another 40k at 273k unless its good to go longer. I rarely tow anything. I was considering HPL 75W140. Are their gear oils good?

Are the above mentioned oils API certified, and if not, does it actually really matter?
HPL no VII 5w30 I’d say.

Search my thread on 75w90 gear oils, I know it’s not the -140 like you’re proposing but it will give you an idea. TL;DR: yes, their gear oils are excellent. I’ve got 75w110 on deck for my ‘19 F150 once I get around to it.

Either of the oils you spoke of will serve you well. They will easily go your intended OCI. No, they’re not technically certified, but HPL uses additive packs that are formulated and meet the requirements, but their base oils are much better. It doesn’t make financial sense to HPL to pay for dexos licensing since they already use a d1G3 add pack.

Back