Which BBQ Grille?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I even have to say it? Buy a Weber.

I have a year old Genesis E-310 and it'd only be better if it cooked the food for me.

Seriously though, you don't need to drop big coin on a Genesis. The Spirit, while made in China and not quite as heavy-duty as the Genesis, is still a fine grill that will outperform and outlast the run-of-the-mill units you'll find at the hardware center.

How long do you plan to live where you are?

Short term, 5 years or less. Buy a cheap grill and abandon it. If you are planning to stay long term, buy a nice grill as you won't be moving it any time soon.

Grills are no fun to move.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
The Spirit, while made in China and not quite as heavy-duty as the Genesis, is still a fine grill that will outperform and outlast the run-of-the-mill units you'll find at the hardware center.

Yup. My Spirit is now 4 years old. Still working well.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
How long do you plan to live where you are?

Short term, 5 years or less. Buy a cheap grill and abandon it. If you are planning to stay long term, buy a nice grill as you won't be moving it any time soon.
Grills are no fun to move.

I don't plan moving anytime soon, with all the praise for Weber I think on concentrate there.

Funny thing, some friends of mine just asked me to transport a grill that was getting was thrown out.

What a monster! Just about fit in my van, drip tray was all rotted away, think it was a Grill-Master with searing plate, side burner, etc. Not worth the trouble IMHO.

RH, this thread has resurrected my gas grill interest. Last summer I got tired of searching & sifting info on gas grills, narrowly avoided getting a cheapie from WM & finally got a little charcoal Weber Smokey Joe 14" kettle grill. Works well, but there's still the charcoal to deal with.

After some searching, I've found a used high quality unit that'll wind up costing me < $100 including gasoline to go get it. Will post again after I get it home.

Weber Q's are great, I bought one as a emergency cooker For Sandy and Have used it a lot since then. I have a 200 series.

Only thing is, It will not do indirect cooking very well, as it is a one burner unit.

Other than that, Fantastic!

OK, I brought it home today. Found a nice Weber Q on Craigslist - the original Q model, now sold as the Q200. It had the Weber collapsible/pull-along/roll-around stand, Weber cover, & also a hose connection for regular size(say, 20 lb) propane tanks. The only visible flaws were a couple of paint scuffs, and some paint bubbling on the outside top. There are absolutely no traces of rust on the cast iron grate. It lived in Hawaii for 2 yrs, I wonder if the salt air contributed to the paint bumps on that cast aluminum top! He hooked the adapter hose up to his propane tank for his full-size BBQ & I saw it burn, perfect blue flame all around the burner.

Sellers were a young family- she did 8 yrs Navy, he's still on active duty in the Air Force, with one child ready for Kindergarten & another brand new baby just home from the hospital. At $70 for the whole setup I certainly wasn't going to quibble over price, especially for an active service member with a new baby.

I had to drive about 175 miles total for it- but even with gas I'm still under $100. Bought a 2-pack of 16.x oz propane bottles & one 14 oz skinny propane bottle at WM on the way home. Why the 14 oz? the Q grills originally came with a "bottle bracket" that only fit the 14 oz bottles. I wanted one to use without having to remove/modify/replace the bracket on there.

New prices, btw, run: Q200, $199 ; Cart, $50 ; Cover, $10-$20 depending on where you buy it ; adapter hose, ~$8 up to ridiculous prices.

There's a propane outfit less than 5 miles from home. So tell me- whats the cheapest way to get a 20 lb propane tank?
grin2.gif

Great choice, Youre gonna love it!

As far as Propane tanks, I got lucky on Craigslist and bought 3 of them for $10 each.

Then I just took them to an exchange place and swapped them for 3 full ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back