Generator suggestions?

Good post, you certainly are experienced. For the typical person though, like me, I would be leary of propane IF I didnt have a 120Lb tank because we dont get power outages and the generator would sit for years unused. Until the once or POSSIBLY twice every ten years hurricane smacks the area. Being it would be so rarely used I would only buy one and I know it would be running more than 50% load so that tank can be dead in 12 or less hours. Again, I have a 120lb tank though.
Agree, I run Magnetic plugs in everything I own. :)
I just run a chainsaw/chopsaw off mine once in a while to give it exercise other than just starting and warm up …

I just run a chainsaw/chopsaw off mine once in a while to give it exercise other than just starting and warm up …
Yes, in our community I see a lot of homeowners have whole house Generac units. (not happening in our house, to us the cost is crazy for something barely used) but the units themselves start up every month for a certain period of time. Good suggestion for individual units in the way you use them.

Yes, in our community I see a lot of homeowners have whole house Generac units. (not happening in our house, to us the cost is crazy for something barely used) but the units themselves start up every month for a certain period of time. Good suggestion for individual units in the way you use them.
My “home unit” is out of service and we are now reliable enough that the portable units are great …
It takes physical damage bcs we are on the last grid standing …
(hospital, FD, line provider, Walmart)

Good post, you certainly are experienced!
For the typical person though, like me, I would be leary of propane IF I didnt have a 120Lb tank because we dont get power outages and the generator would sit for years unused. Until the once or POSSIBLY twice every ten years hurricane smacks the area, then it could be a while for power to be restored.

Being it would be so rarely used I would only buy one and I know it would be running more than 50% load so that tank can be dead in 12 or less hours. Again, I have a 120lb tank though. IT wouldnt be possible to buy and store 20lb tanks, though I have one for the grill, but in my HOA community regulations are tight.

Agree, I run Magnetic plugs in everything I own. :)
120lb or gallon? 120lb is tiny.. like 6 bbq sized ones.

120 gallon is common above ground size which holds 96gal propane or about 420lb.
(some houses will have 2)

Last edited:
Don't forget about the lithium battery powered 120v packs out there now. We use one at night to watch tv, run fans and lights. Don't have to have the gas one running outside and worry about theft. It charges up in an hour. Ours is made by Jackery, has been good, but they are getting popular. Just plug stuff into it right in the house.

120lb or gallon? 120lb is tiny.. like 6 bbq sized ones.

120 gallon is common above ground dize which holds 96gal propane or about 420lb.
(some houses will have 2)
CRUD, I did it again, we are new to propane, new home, first time in my long life (so far) I didnt have NG.
You are correct, its 120 Gallon/ 420Lb

Last thing on earth that I wanted initially was propane, at the time I would have preferred all electric home. Now living with it for the last nine months I am thrilled with it regarding the gas cook top, gas hot water and gas fireplace. I also learned the propane packs a lot more BTU then NG
I actually recently learned that from looking at generator specs! Power output from NG generators is pathetic compared to Propane and Gasoline.

The guy said he's going to the masters in the first post.
Oh okay I didn't notice that but he said he's "coming to the masters" not going. So he's referring to people on here as the masters, but I assume you knew that too and were just making a joke that went over my head, since I'm not a golf fan. Lol.

Oh okay I didn't notice that but he said he's "coming to the masters" not going. So he's referring to people on here as the masters, but I assume you knew that too and were just making a joke that went over my head, since I'm not a golf fan. Lol.
IMG_1960.jpeg

I was thinking some sort of tailgater party at the masters golf match or something...

No idea 🤣🤣

CRUD, I did it again, we are new to propane, new home, first time in my long life (so far) I didnt have NG.
You are correct, its 120 Gallon/ 420Lb

Last thing on earth that I wanted initially was propane, at the time I would have preferred all electric home. Now living with it for the last nine months I am thrilled with it regarding the gas cook top, gas hot water and gas fireplace. I also learned the propane packs a lot more BTU then NG
I actually recently learned that from looking at generator specs! Power output from NG generators is pathetic compared to Propane and Gasoline.
About the same for propane and NG. About 75% of gasoline.
It's why they run a larger engine on those vs what would be needed with gasoline.

Back