Dealership Chain won't do Anything if over 10yr/200k

Much has happened in the marine industry. If your boat is over ten years old they dont want or need your business and do not want to work on it or attempt repairs. Even if it looks like new and has ultra low hours. I think it's just another step in our throwaway society.
EVs are going to take this up to another level of throwaway.

I'm totally with you on boats. It's a very real problem.
When I ran a boat manufacturer we serviced every boat every sold under the company name (that came to our shop) - all the way back to the 60's, it was hard and sometimes we needed the customer to help with parts but we never turned away our own clients.

On EV's that was and is a real concern, but I can still get service on a first gen model S.

I never expected GM to set such a low bar of intervals.
One could say it isnt GM, but that dealer, but you cant work directly with GM so you are stuck with the dealers.

Longevity of parts and assurance of long term service and care WAS part of the appeal of ice.

If that goes out the window then so does a major reason for buying Ice.

Last edited:
I’m surprised they wouldn’t do the inspection and give people the laundry list of repairs.
I needed a new clutch on my old Accent. The estimate was over $4500 at a national chain mostly because they wanted to replace everything they had to take off with new. I ended up doing it myself and had to replace the motor mounts and ball joints, but still under $400 for parts with all new clutch and slave.

With worthless aftermarket warranties.

Some push those, other sell the genuine GM warranty thats worth the money.

Im used to seeing 20 years worth of parts and service on trucks, and hope this one dealer is an anomaly.

I'm totally with you on boats. It's a very real problem.
When I ran a boat manufacturer we serviced every boat every sold under the company name (that came to our shop) - all the way back to the 60's, it was hard and sometimes we needed the customer to help with parts but we never turned away our own clients.

On EV's that was and is a real concern, but I can still get service on a first gen model S.

I never expected GM to set such a low bar set of intervals.
One could say it isnt GM, but that dealer, but you cant work directly with GM so you are stuck with the dealers.

Longevity of parts and assurance of long term service and care WAS part of the appeal of ice.

If that goes out the window then so does a major reason for buying Ice.
My BIL just got out of the boat servicing and sales that was three generations old. You wouldn't believe the old parts they had in stock for all the brand names. Tried to get me to sell them on eBay. Ha that would have been a never ending question and answer deal.

My BIL just got out of the boat servicing and sales that was three generations old. You wouldn't believe the old parts they had in stock for all the brand names. Tried to get me to sell them on eBay. Ha that would have been a never ending question and answer deal.

There was a guy here in So cal did the same - got off a warehouse full of parts. He was a great service center - place was a lil messy but he got you back on the water.

I won’t visit Firestone or quick tire shops anymore since they only appear to do a “check” to skew the alignment rack and send you on your way.
Can you actually adjust camber on that rig - ie it has cam bolts on the control arms or some other way. Most places are toe and go now anyway?

With worthless aftermarket warranties.
Toyota OEM extended warranty goes up to 10/125,000. It covers more even than the powertrain warranty depending on what level you buy - for example some will cover the touch screen, etc.

Can you actually adjust camber on that rig - ie it has cam bolts on the control arms or some other way. Most places are toe and go now anyway?
Yes. The upper control arm bolts have cam bolts and a plate that rides on a pin on the shackle.

1706722482372.jpeg

1706722510439.jpeg

Back