When is flushing really needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should the system be flushed say every 50,000 miles or so or only if you see rust or deposits in the system?

I would say any car or coolant. Is there really an advantage to flushing just to flush?

Last edited:
Ive been successful keeping after it early and just re-upping the chemistry, one radatior fill at a time, during shorter periods. Super simple and ensures the max protection...

JMH

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Should the system be flushed say every 50,000 miles or so or only if you see rust or deposits in the system?

Flushing rids the system of two things: crud and traces of the old coolant.

Over time the coolant acidifies and leaving some of it behind cuts down on the performance of the new coolant you put in.

Also, if you're changing from one coolant to another, such as DexCool to G-05, the chemistries are different and you want all of the old stuff out before you add the new.

I do a triple flush with distilled water. Empty the system and fill it with distilled water. Run it to operating temperature and drain. Fill it with distilled water. Run it to operating temperature and drain. Fill it with distilled water. Run it to operating temperature and drain. By this time you should be seeing nothing but water.

At that point you can add the quantity of coolant you need to get to the protection level you desire (e.g., the system has a capacity of 8 quarts and you want a 50/50 mix - add 4 quarts of undiluted coolant) and top it off with distilled water.

I used distilled water to avoid adding calcium, chlorine, fluoride, and the other stuff in tap water to the cooling system, where it will just cause problems.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive been successful keeping after it early and just re-upping the chemistry, one radatior fill at a time, during shorter periods. Super simple and ensures the max protection...

JMH

I agree strongly.

Every fall, I just drain the radiator in my vehicles and refill with a 50/50 mix of supertech coolant, and distilled water.

Total cost about 6-7 bucks per year.

My coolant is like brand new and I have never had a coolant related problem.

I flushed the dexcool out of my saturn when I first got it with 30k miles, and it was very chunky. Now with the universal coolant in there it looks great.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

JMH

I agree strongly.

Every fall, I just drain the radiator in my vehicles and refill with a 50/50 mix of supertech coolant, and distilled water.

Total cost about 6-7 bucks per year.

My coolant is like brand new and I have never had a coolant related problem.

I flushed the dexcool out of my saturn when I first got it with 30k miles, and it was very chunky. Now with the universal coolant in there it looks great.

Exactly what I do on both my vehicles. A simple drain/fill every 30K (about every year and half) keeps the coolant looking like new. I also use the Super Tech 50/50 premix stuff which makes the service very inexpensive.

To answer the original question, I would consider a coolant flush if the fluid was totally shot. Even then I would most likely do a quick series of drain/fills to exchange the majority of the old coolant.

Last edited:

This is what I've done with my wife's car since it was new and we've never had a problem. It's much easier to just drain and refill the rad every once in a while than it is to try and flush the system. Then you end up with gallons and gallons of water/coolant that you need to get rid of, but by just draining and refilling a little bit every once in a while you don't have that problem.

This morning I drained and refilled the rad in my Corvette, I got about 6qts out and put 6qts of a fresh 50/50 mix back in. That's only about half the system, but even that small amount made a big difference. I was seeing as high as 255F coolant temps yesterday driving in stop and go traffic with the AC on, in 90 degree temps. Today it's also 90 degrees and doing the same type of stop and go driving with the AC on my coolant temp didn't go above 232F.

I'm gonna do another drain and refill of the rad tomorrow so hopefully that'll drop my peak coolant temps by another 10F or so.

Honda told me my civic has 100k coolant and shouldnt mess with it? From reading a few of the posts just in this thread it seems thats not entirely true. My civic is close to 37k and I guess you all would recommend me draining just the radiator and replacing the coolant? I have to say i was hoping on not touching anything(coolant/plugs) till the 100k mark.

Flushing is always required if you change chemistries or if there is contamination in the system. (rust, crud, oil leak, etc)

Otherwise, it depends on the vehicle. Some vehicle manufacturers want the system to be flushed and filled as part of the maintenance schedule. GM comes to mind. Others do not. You should consult your owner's manual.

Firehawk, you are fine for at least 3-4 years and minimum 60K.

But I do like others and drain the radiator once a year (15K or so) and refill. Super easy and it gives me great peace of mind.

like everyone else said, draining/refilling the radiator once a year or two max and keeping fresh fluid and fresh additives in the car you will never have coolant related problems.

just good (somewhat cheap) preventive maintenance

Sounds like a good idea to just flush the rad. Think I'll start doing that. I use to just do a total flush every other year.

What do you do with your old coolant? I called our sewer service, and they told me that for small quantities for residences, I could just dump it down the toilet. I told them I was doing my pickup, which would be several gallons, and they told me to go for it, so I did.

Haven't had to change any out since then. No auto shops would take it, nor would the local shucks/knechts/napa although they would take used motor oil, but only in 1 gallon milk jugs.

you guys are nuts!

Well maybe its just different designs.

For me all I do is drain radiator, pop off the lower and upper radiator hose, remove the themostat and gasket, and then flush the radiator and block with clean distilled water until both run clear, then install new thermostat and gasket, hoses, and refill the system with the proper coolant.

It takes me maybe an hour at most to do that. Flushing is easy, when you pop out the thermostat so it just runs right through.

I use Preston T-flush, it would take me less than 15 min to do complete flush without remove any hose nor thermostat. I have T-flush in many cars and never had any leak in any car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back