Wheel Paint

If you were to paint your wheels semi-gloss black, which brand of paint would you go with?

Last edited:
Yes rattle cans. I heard somewhere that satin and semi-gloss are not the same. People say that satin is closer to flat.

I heard somewhere that satin and semi-gloss are not the same. People say that satin is closer to flat.
Theoretically, semi-gloss is shinier than satin which is shinier than flat but I think it depends on the manufacturer. I bought a supposedly flat spray paint from Napa and it was definitely satin instead of flat. A satin finish will be more delicate than a more hard-wearing semi-gloss finish. Are you doing all wheels or do you have to match an existing finish? Also, consider having to clean the wheels, and a glossier finish is easier in that regard. A thick layer of brake dust patina is another road warrior option. Doesn't matter what finish is under it. ;)

Last edited:
The color is your choice, but put some thought in it. I've seen too many ugly Altimas, Civics, F150's... where the owner went through the trouble to paint their wheels black and make their vehicle uglier than it was before.

Bronze wheels looks better than black IMO on red, blue and black vehicles than black wheels do.

By the way, Sherwin Williams owns VHT, Dupli Color and Kylon.

The classic Corvette Rallye Wheel was painted Argent Silver. You see the wheels painted body color. Why people, why?
1689430747402.jpg

The color is your choice, but put some thought in it. I've seen too many ugly Altimas, Civics, F150's... where the owner went through the trouble to paint their wheels black and make their vehicle uglier than it was before.
I guess I could see that, but wouldn't it matter what the steel wheel is? If it was spoked then silver might work ok (am thinking of my prior Tundra and its steel wheels), but anything else I'm thinking black might look better?

Beauty in the eye of the beholder I guess.

As to brand, does it matter? I mean, if the wheels are rusty then what is the rest of the car like? is it any better, and are you going to be still holding this car a few years from now? I'd probably be tempted with a decent semi gloss and call it done. Probably prefer matte but that's just me--I don't spend much time looking at my car.

- Do you guys think VHT is the better, off the shelf product vs. Dupli Color or others?? Why?
- One of my steel wheels has the OEM silver paint peeling off, leaving black primer underneath. There are traces of rust around the wheel edges. Please outline the prep stages for VHT or any other paint. Primer first?

Thank you.
Bad Wheel.jpg
Good wheel.jpg

VHT is more consistent can to can, and is very similar to dupli color in strength. They are both excellent paints. I’ve had a richer finish, especially concerning the clear, with duplicolor. With VHT, I had to keep the clear warm in hot water as I sprayed it, spraying in the cool morning to try to keep it flowing better before setting up. Duplicolor is harder to find here. Don’t miss a spot sanding, and don’t miss a spot washing down before painting. The results I’ve had have been great to my eye for what it is.

Rust oleum is a softer paint. Wont last. VHT wheel paint and duplicolor wheel paint is far sturdier. Can touch it in an hour, but 7 days to fully cure. I would Not recommend rust oleum or krylon or any other regular enamel paint for this application.

Rust oleum is a softer paint. Wont last. VHT wheel paint and duplicolor wheel paint is far sturdier. Can touch it in an hour, but 7 days to fully cure. I would Not recommend rust oleum or krylon or any other regular enamel paint for this application.
Some people use engine enamel to paint their wheels; what do you think about that?

Some people use engine enamel to paint their wheels; what do you think about that?
i mean, why? I think if there is a paint designed towards the unique case of a wheel, I would not use a paint designed for the different use case of an engine. Especially if I’m going to do the prep work. Spray paint is mediocre enough when compared to professional paints, why intentionally increase your chances of failure by choosing the wrong material for the job? I would need special understanding to willingly do differently.

- Do you guys think VHT is the better, off the shelf product vs. Dupli Color or others?? Why?
- One of my steel wheels has the OEM silver paint peeling off, leaving black primer underneath. There are traces of rust around the wheel edges. Please outline the prep stages for VHT or any other paint. Primer first?

Thank you.
View attachment 167077View attachment 167078
Scrape off the loose paint, lightly sand the whole area to be painted, wipe down with acetone, mask off tire etc., paint away. It will come out good enough and should last. I've done many wheels like that and looks fine for years.

i mean, why? I think if there is a paint designed towards the unique case of a wheel, I would not use a paint designed for the different use case of an engine. Especially if I’m going to do the prep work. Spray paint is mediocre enough when compared to professional paints, why intentionally increase your chances of failure by choosing the wrong material for the job? I would need special understanding to willingly do differently.
The reason why I ask is because there was a guy on YouTube that painted some Volkswagen wheels semi-gloss black using Dupli-Color engine enamel. I thought they turned out pretty good, but you be the judge.

Last edited:
Scrape off the loose paint, lightly sand the whole area to be painted, wipe down with acetone, mask off tire etc., paint away. It will come out good enough and should last. I've done many wheels like that and looks fine for years.
Thank you. These are steel wheels on a 11 year old daily driver and that plays into my decisions. I'm wrestling with doing OCD job vs. good-enuf. I'm not sure if the remaining silver paint is going to also peel off eventually.

I have used some over-the-counter "epoxy" appliance paints that specifically state no primer needed. In my case above where there are tidbits of rust, I'm debating sand/burnish the rust spots and maybe use metal prep phosphoric acid solution? You did not recommend primer. I'm still debating its use.

Also, I found Eastwood 2K wheel paint on clearance for $22 per can. Does this product work with less than perfect prep and primer?

It will be interesting to see if I can force myself to "good enuf" VHT vs. full scale OCD 2K paint job, LOL.

Back