What's the special thing about VW 502.00 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the "back and forth" maybe I missed it but your last post stated that you know what the correct oil, in your opinion, should be. Could you give it to me again?

Clark, stop flaunting the term "special" when replying to what I said. I am not the one who used the term "special" to begin with; it was the topic starter.

Regarding your first concern: the oil spec must match the service interval. If you choose to use an oil that's capable of longer drain than necessary, be my guest. If you go for longer drain intervals than the manufacturer suggests, you should of course use the proper oil spec.

The MB spec is irrelevant because we are not talking about MB engines. Why don't you ask Audi why they don't use MB oil specs?

Based on exactly what are you convinced that low SAPS oil is superior even in vehicles that do not require a medium/low SAPS (ACEA C3/API SM) oil?

Quote:

With all the "back and forth" maybe I missed it but your last post stated that you know what the correct oil, in your opinion, should be. Could you give it to me again?

I thought I already posted ... oh never mind.

The German oil bulletin says in regard to backwards compatible oil specs:
- Audi S4 without LongLife Service: VW 504.00, VW 505.01, VW 502.00
- Audi S4 with LongLife Service: VW 504.00, VW 503.01

The US Oil Bulletin says to use VW 502.00.

You can use any of these oil specs. Often one oil will meet more than one of these specs. For example M1 0W-40 and Castrol Syntec 0W-30 meet VW 502.00 and VW 503.01. Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 meets VW 502.00 and VW 505.01.

I hear you and understand 100%. I'll extend my crazy assertions to include low-saps oils being more desirable in general.
For simplicity, take the product line from a Euro brand like Motul, the newer 0w product will be the MB 229.3/5 or VW 503.01 oil and the 5w-40 VW 502 will be of older formulation. With nothing more to go on than the fact 229.3 and 503.01 are long-life specs given to newer oils with better physical characteristics, I feel I'm on safe ground suggesting they might be more "special" than 502 oils which might be equaled by the lowly synth-blend.

Quote:

I don't think that VW 502 oils are really that special. Some groups 3 oils have the VW 502 approval so its not limited to full synthetic oils group 4. I believe that ACEA A3 oils will do fine in most normal non turbo VW gas engines. If you used say a 10W-30 or 10W-40 conventional oil in a VW 2.0L engine it would work fine. Just because it doesn't carry the VW 502 approval doesn't necessarily mean it can't meet that. For example it is likely Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 should qualify.

vw said at the time that it came out with the 502 spec that it did NOT know of any oil that would meet the 502 spec but synthetic.
usa2.gif
ufo.gif

Amsoil has purposefully chosen NOT to get on these European OEM Approved lists, since doing so locks you into the formulation with regards to basestock and additive suppliers (read the fine print). This limits Amsoils' ability to negotiate better prices with their suppliers and to upgrade their formulations as they see fit.

If Amsoil is recommending their product for VW 502.00 applications, it means that particular additive chemistry HAS completed the required engine testing (performed by the additive supplier).

TD

vw said at the time that it came out with the 502 spec that it did NOT know of any oil that would meet the 502 spec but synthetic.

VW 502.00 and its predecessor VW 500.00, and also VW 505.00 and VW 503.01 had to be synthetic oil (Group III/HC and up). However, I do now see TS (semi-synthetic) oils that are approved for VW 500.00 (which is defunct by now, but still spec listed) and for VW 505.00. I am not aware of any semi-synthetic oil that's approved for VW 502.00 or VW 503.01, but advances in oil chemistry may have made this possible.

"If Amsoil is recommending their product for VW 502.00 applications, it means that particular additive chemistry HAS completed the required engine testing performed by the additive supplier"

Can I have that in writing?

Does Mobil's miles-specific formulas now make mfg/API/ACEA specs obsolete? Say a new car with the appropriate formula, like Clean 7500, it's essentially covered by Mobil's warranty?

AU,

The methodology that Amsoil uses to formulate their lubes has been discussed before, but it's worth repeating....

1) They select an additive package that has already passed all the relevant API and/or ACEA engine sequence tests.

2) They work closely with their additive supplier to further enhance this chemistry. Generally the goal is to improve the extended drain and extreme temp performance of the chemistry.

3) They substitute a well characterized, PAO/Ester basestock for the petroleum or synthetic basestock used as the Reference Lube ("RL"), in the engine sequence tests.

4) They substitute a high quality, shear stable VI modifier for the cheap VI modifier used in the engine tests. Note that the VI modifiers used in the API/SM tests are designed to shear rapidly. This causes the oil to thin out, reducing friction and makes it easier to pass the "Energy Conserving" requirements of the test.

5) They extensively bench and field test the formulation before it is released. For example, Amsoil is currently field testing their new SAE 0w-20 synthetic - look for it to be released within the next 6-12 months.

6) They monitor the performance of their lubricants in the field through the tens of thousands of oil analysis results they collect every year.

Amsoil has used this process for over thirty years and it's a very methodical and conservative approach to oil formulation.

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back