What's the special thing about VW 502.00 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JAG, Yes you are certainly correct and I realized it after I wrote the post that SM was not even available in that year.

moribundman, sorry if I offended you; you seem so upset. I only stated that I did not have the manual with me so I was recalling what I had read. I don't think I asked or implied that anyone should look it up for me. Calm down and take your Zanex everything is OK. However, my point was that the manual for that year did not state any VW specs such as must meet 502 etc so your contention that M1 didn't meet requirements is precisely the question. So who cares as you so kindly puked out---I care!

Quote:

...my point was that the manual for that year did not state any VW specs such as must meet 502 etc...

I don't understand how that could be possible. My '00 VW GTI manual clearly lists all the spec's the oil must meet. You're saying a 2002 Audi manual doesn't list the oil requirements. That's just hard for me to imagine.
confused.gif
Oh well, stranger things have happened......especially with VW/Audi.

Yes, wavinwayne, I agree, it is hard to imagine, and I could be wrong as my memory may not be serving me in this case. But I read these sections of manuals very carefully and repeatedly so I am pretty sure I am pretty accurate in my recollection--I will check it for sure when I get home. That being said, what would be some recommendations for the 2.7 biturbo. Thanks.

Quote:

You're saying a 2002 Audi manual doesn't list the oil requirements. That's just hard for me to imagine.
confused.gif
Oh well, stranger things have happened......especially with VW/Audi.

Yup, that is actually quite possible or it lists it as API SJ or VW 502. It's quite ambiguous. It was only sometime in 2003/4, when the sludge issue came to surface, that Audi started mailing letters to Audi owners with a memo listing more specific oil specs and specific oil brands/models to use.

Quote:

moribundman, sorry if I offended you; you seem so upset. I only stated that I did not have the manual with me so I was recalling what I had read. I don't think I asked or implied that anyone should look it up for me. Calm down and take your Zanex everything is OK. However, my point was that the manual for that year did not state any VW specs such as must meet 502 etc so your contention that M1 didn't meet requirements is precisely the question. So who cares as you so kindly puked out---I care!

OldSChool, tell Mori to "take it with a grain of salt." He likes that!
wink.gif
cheers.gif
LOL

Thanks Quattro Pete for the "qualified" vindication. Yes, that is my recollection that the 02 manual for the S4 only indicates the API S-something and the "sunburst" symbol. I never got any memo listing acceptable oil specs/brands. Perhaps the 2.7 did not produce the sludge problem maybe because of the relatively large sump capacity(7+qts)??? I think my main concern is preventing turbo bearing deposits. Again, I am pretty sure that manual made little or no mention of syn oils and certainly did not recommend them at that time. In fact during the warrantee period I brought my own syn oil to the dealer at the 10K intervals and did my own changes in between @5k. The dealer would have routinely used dino.

Quote:

In fact during the warrantee period I brought my own syn oil to the dealer at the 10K intervals and did my own changes in between @5k. The dealer would have routinely used dino.

Yeah, I used to do the exact same thing in my 1.8t.

Quote:

Naw, I just yell around for effect and drama.
tongue.gif

You got a 2002 and should have looked into that manual in 2002. If there was anything unclear about oil requirements, you should have contacted Audi and asked them back in 2002.

Nobody, especially the dealer, will inform you of Audi oil bulletins. Getting the relevant information is up to you -- the information is out there and not all that hard to find!

And here is what the US manual of a model year 2000 S4 says:

my02_S4manual.jpg

picture courtesy of "S4gasm" from Audiworld

Last edited:
According to that manual, GC would be disallowed, as 0w-30 is not an "approved" visc. Funny this manual says factory-fill is 0w-30, and GC is the ONLY 0w-30 meeting VW specs. Contradictions like this seem to arise when AoA "translates" and therefore some "interpretation" is desirable.

engineoil.jpg

Again, I assert there is nothing "special" about VW 502 oils when 503.01 & 229.3 oils are sitting right on the shelf next to them. Some of the best oils so not even carry Euro specs like 502, like Delvac-1 and Mobil 1 T&SUV, but could far exceed the spec.

The VW 503.01 spec offers no advantage unless your car is equipped for Long Life Service.

VW 502.00 oils can meet (by now maybe must meet) also VW 505.01.

VW 504/507 offers no advantage over VW 502.00 unless the emissions system requires a low SAPS oil.

MB 229.3 is a MB spec and irrelevant for VAG.

I never said that there weren't oils as good or better than a VW 502 oil.

moribundman, you seem to have a pension for the dramatic, interesting I guess???? But thanks for the page from a manual, however it is not what the 2002 manual says, as I recall. And yes, I have looked at the 02 manual--you would have known that if you read my post(s) carefully, and I had no question at that time--why should I. It gave no warning but rather was very general. Since I was doing extra oil changes and haveing the dealer use my own oil why would they not tell me I was not using the proper oil so as to cover their a$$ in case of an engine or related failor?? Why would I be looking for information, which you say is easy to find if I had no reason to question? It is only latter that I am finding out about these issues, thus my query. Why you feel the need to try to abuse is also interesting. At least in between your sarcasim you do seem to offer some information and for that I thank you. The rest is unattractive however. I do happen to have the car in question with me today and when I get a chance I will go to the parking lot and retreive the manual and see if I have been deluting myself or if what I have been remembering is correct. I will tell you either way.

The Amsoil Series 2000, 0w-30 has exceeded the VW 502.00 spec since it was first released. I have over ten years of experience with it in VW/Audi engines and it works perfectly.

VWOA recommends 5w-30 but not 0w-30, only because they are concerned about shearing and/or oil consumption with the lighter basestocks. I have not found that to be an issue with the S2000.

Oldschool,

As a practical matter, ALL SAE 0w-30's are full synthetics, so your engine came with synthetic from the factory, as did my 2002 Audi TT w/ the 225 Hp motor....

TD

Thanks for your input. I stand somewhat corrected as I have the 02 manual in hand and on 198 it states essentially what Auto-Union has posted. It gives the A2/3 requirment but not VW specs. So, I guess since I am using GC I am generally in the right ballpark as it meets A3 and 502.00 among others. Can you or other give additions oils that are acceptable and are readily available off the shelf.
Thanks for your indulgence.

Quote:

As a practical matter, ALL SAE 0w-30's are full synthetics, so your engine came with synthetic from the factory, as did my 2002 Audi TT w/ the 225 Hp motor....

I've seen 0w30 in Canadian Tire which is listed as a synthetic blend. It's their Formula 1 branded oil (which is supplied by Shell now, but used to be supplied by Imperial Oil, so this could be old stock from those days)

Quote:

moribundman, you seem to have a pension for the dramatic, interesting I guess????

I believe you mean to write I have a penchant for the dramatic.
wink.gif
I guess so.

Quote:

But thanks for the page from a manual, however it is not what the 2002 manual says, as I recall. And yes, I have looked at the 02 manual--you would have known that if you read my post(s) carefully, and I had no question at that time--why should I. It gave no warning but rather was very general.

Well, US Audi manuals can't be trusted. It was like that when I bought my A4 in '96, and while I hope the manuals are now more concise, I'd still double-check.

Quote:

Since I was doing extra oil changes and haveing the dealer use my own oil why would they not tell me I was not using the proper oil so as to cover their a$$ in case of an engine or related failor??

You are asking the wrong person. Ask the dealer. Why did my dealer want to use 20W-50 dino oil? I did ask them and they said because that's what they were using. I also brought my own oil and never went back to the dealer once the warranty had expired.

Quote:

Why would I be looking for information, which you say is easy to find if I had no reason to question?

I did question my vague manual, which turned out to be the right thing to do. Why do people do the things they do?

Quote:

It is only latter that I am finding out about these issues, thus my query. Why you feel the need to try to abuse is also interesting.

Abuse? Where and how?

Quote:

At least in between your sarcasim you do seem to offer some information and for that I thank you. The rest is unattractive however.

Sarcasm is all that keeps me going.

Quote:

I do happen to have the car in question with me today and when I get a chance I will go to the parking lot and retreive the manual and see if I have been deluting myself or if what I have been remembering is correct. I will tell you either way.

You don't have to look it up for me. I already do know what oil you should be using, regardless of what your US manual is saying. You really ought to call AoA and get the dope straight from the horse's mouth. Of course, the horse may turn out to be a real dope.
laugh.gif

"The VW 503.01 spec offers no advantage unless your car is equipped for Long Life Service"

....or you decide to run the oil longer than you would with an A3/502 oil.
smirk.gif

How is an MB spec "irrelavent" when trying to discern the quality or "special-ness" of speced oils? Is 502 "special" in the era of $2 SM oils and oil brands carrying miles-specific formulations like Mobil Clean 7500 or M1 EP 15,000? Funny thing about that 7500 number, that's the OCI my "502/A3 vintage" Audi calls for. That Mobil oil is a cheap semi-blend. "Special?" Not really.

As for the AMSoil issue, although it is a great oil, with HT/HS at 3.4 it's a bit shy of what's needed for A3/502 and I seriously doubt it went through the actual VW sequence. It would be on the "Approved" list if it did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back