Whats the big deal about Costco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I looked at the gas and it was $.08 a gallon more than chevron gas near home.

Over here, Chevron is 30 cents more per gallon than Costco.

Chevron is the most expensive gasoline in town.

And don't forget their refund policy . It's beyond belief. They will take back anything and don't need a reason.

One small item I like is the chicken parts in the prepared food section. I use the chicken for lots of different meals and it's great.

Another section that has prices that Walmart can't beat is the fresh fruit section and the coolers with fruit juice and the almond milk.

One other section is the raw oatmeal, chia, flax seed and other health food items. It's a shock to see how much more the "health food" stores charge for the exact same items.

And last are the vitamins and supplements. They are cheaper than on the Internet and of course their's no shipping or waiting.

My membership was covered on the first day I went shopping and I received triple the amount back at the end of the year with a gift card.

I think that no matter what the prices are, someone is going to claim that they are too high and that they do better else where. That's life.

I went there with a friend once to see what the appeal was. I only ended up buying a bottle of seasoning salt since I buy groceries for just one or two people. I don't need the gigantic portions. I did get their cafe food though, which was inexpensive and good.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I personally really like it because everything the carry is quality.

If you don't get a per qty deal, you pay the same price but the quality is 30% better.

Like meat... Their meat is very solid, but you don't get that good of a deal on it.

I think it is only good if you are a large family.

I stopped going because I don't need that much stuff I am currently living alone, wife and kid gone.

Their spices, black shirts, meat, batteries... It is all great, but once you purchase the bulk stuff you need you don't end up going again for a long time.

I agree. I have always thought that Costco and Sams Club have the best meat of any store - at least in my area.

I always buy my tires there - I have yet to see ANYONE beat the out the door price on the same tire.

In my area Costco gasoline is usually at least .10 a gallon cheaper than everyone else - right now Costco is 2.99, the Chevron 1/4 mile away from them is down to 3.39. I like Chevron gas but not .40 a gallon more.

That being said there are some things that are not worth buying in bulk or have a very limited selection. For those items I shop at our local Winco. But not even Winco can beat either club on eggs, milk, cheese, bread, meat, and most produce.

When I was shopping for a new 60" LED last fall (waiting for Pop to come in and say I shouldn't be wasting my money on a new tv - LOL) I saved about 200.00 over the nearest competitor. Not only were they cheaper but they added an extra year of warranty for no charge.

I can see how for some people membership stores aren't worth it. I still have 2 kids who are attending college living at home, so it works for us.

I didn't used to get it either. Besides some electronics and some other items that are occasionally well priced not everything is necessarily the cheapest there. This is no different at Walmart they don't necessarily have the best prices either.

I was swayed when we were shopping for tires for my wife's car and no matter where I shopped and how I finagled it Costco came out to be absolutely the best price. Then our friends needed tires for their CRV and four is that good Michelins it was a similar situation. Then our friends needed two twin mattresses and for a nice mattress set again it came out cheaper to buy the Costco ones. They ended up getting a membership in order to get those.

We did the risk-free executive membership when we first signed up to get the tires. We only buy stuff that we realize is cheaper than at the grocery store and we don't necessarily always shop there very often maybe once a month. When our local Costco finally put in the gas station I also signed up for the American Express which gets me an extra discount. Of course the Pentagon Federal credit union credit card that I have gives me 5% back on gas, but Costco has cheaper prices then the local stations and they won't take it.

So overall at this point when you consider the cash back to we've gone we really have saved a ton if you're not going to buy a set of tires or something big it may not really be worth it because for small stuff and even food I think if you just savvy and watch the sales at the supermarket you can do about as good. Their battery prices do look good but the sizes are limited.

I wonder if the oilfield something that's a California regulation?

I bet they have to charge the oil fee because they don't have the ability to collect used oil. I'd be surprised if a Costco has a used oil tank. Most auto parts stores and Wal-Marts will.

I don't understand warehouse clubs.

Sam's had a free weekend, no surcharge. They advertised it on the radio, but the clerks inside hadn't heard of it. I searched high and low but only got giant 12oz jugs of vanilla extract and a gallon of dish soap.

BJs was okay for cheap boneless chicken thighs and stuff like 2 lb sacks of dried cranberries. I then discovered Market Basket supermarkets have similar if not better pricing.

I was a member of BJs once ten years ago and they sent me a mailer WITH MY NAME AND ADDRESS ON IT promising a free 60 day trial. Customer service demanded my drivers license and banned me from the promised trial, as it was for new members only. Even though, blah blah blah, name on the thing.

All the shoppers at BJs stare at their own shoes. It's the weirdest thing.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I didn't used to get it either. Besides some electronics and some other items that are occasionally well priced not everything is necessarily the cheapest there. This is no different at Walmart they don't necessarily have the best prices either.

I was swayed when we were shopping for tires for my wife's car and no matter where I shopped and how I finagled it Costco came out to be absolutely the best price. Then our friends needed tires for their CRV and four is that good Michelins it was a similar situation.

Around here, they are NEVER the cheapest on tires...if for no other reason than I can take their price to Town Fair and get it matched!

I have whatever Sam's Club membership lets me go in with the Business customers. Costs me $5 more/month, but then they are usually serving some breakfast items.

I figure the "free" breakfast and missing out on the Tubbersons getting the 55 gallon barrel of cheetoz is worth the extra fin each month.

I keep five cars in tires and have five people in my home. I think I save enough in paper products to pay for the membership before you get around to the awesome deal for tire install, rotation, flat repair and road hazard coverage.

Not sure we would keep it after all the kids are on their own or not. It may not make fiscal sense after they move out.

oilBabe may get a membership through her school district. If she does, we'll keep it.

BTW you don't need a membership to buy booze or prescriptions, most places. Law says they have to be open to the public.

never understood, why do I have to pay to shop there????? Just open the doors like every other store....stupid concept.

Just another way for them to squeeze money out of customers.
(some customers will ignore the "fees" they paid and think they are getting more of a bargin than they really are.)

My wife has one of those Sams Club things, but I don't have enough power to make her quit using it. LOL (I don't think we save much money and I don't like having to "show my card" before I can even get in the door!)

That to me is like having to "show my money" before I can even get in their door!

Last edited:
Yeah, let your wife keep here membership at Sams.

Maybe they ask to see membership card so that non members don't have 2 shopping carts of items only to get rejected at the register?

I got a sam's club membership last year. It was $45, but my job has a $10 discount. I got $10 gift card for joining. Be sure to check groupon or living social, one time I saw an offer for 30 dollar gift card and $10 coupon for free food for joining late last year.

I did it for my tires in my 09 cobalt. I even ordered online and had it shipped to sam's club for free for install. It was the cheapest tires and install I could get. discount tire here pushes TPMS replacement every time you buy a set of tires and their damage waiver certificates.

When the local Cosco came to town, their recruiters came into my mom's business trying to get her to sign up with the membership. She mentioned how busy she was at the moment and asked them if she was charging them to shop at her store. They had nothing else to say.

As far as what they sell, occasionally my local Sam's has good oil deals. (6 quart case of M1 for $19.xx for example.) Cosco not so much. I am not one for processed foods.. especially bulk processed foods and I dont need a 5 lb box of Goldfish so everything else really doesn't interest me.

Costco = used to be value, now aimed shoppers who want to talk to their girl friends at the book club about the organic bees wax they got for Costco.
Costco reminds of fight club, where the guys make and designer soap, Costco WILL carry these soaps, and a typical Costco shopper will spend hours at yoga talking about this soap she/he found at Costco.

Average Costco buyer makes $7xK a year
Average sams club shopper makes $38k a year

So Costco wants to the fufu fluff cental

Example you might ask:
Costco has Oragnic Animal cracker for $9 a jar.
While Sams club carries regular animal crackers at $4.99

unfortunately I have an exec membership at Costco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back