Whats the big deal about Costco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mozzarella cheese:
$4.69 for a 2 lb. block. Anywhere else in town it's double!

Gasoline:
Always at least 10 cents cheaper than the lowest price junky gasoline in town, but Kirkland is Top Tier gasoline with 5 times the government mandated detergent level.

I did the math one day. Just the gasoline alone is enough to pay for the $50 yearly membership + an extra $20 in savings. I save $70 a year buying gasoline at Costco.

I recently bought a pair of glasses that worked out really good on saving some money. Tried the bait and switch with Stanton Optical and learned a valuable lesson.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
B

Yes, if you spend hours shopping around from store to store I'm sure you can feel like you save some $$ over Costco. Of course that is not taking into account your time and cost of running from place to place.

Costco has a lot of what my family needs for bulk items in one place. Their employees are some of the friendliest of any place I shop, probably because they get paid a living wage and benefits instead of minimum wage and food stamps. Despite the volume of people coming in and out, check out never takes more than 10 minutes. Gas is Top Tier and yet cheaper than anyone else by $0.10 a gallon. And to top it off, I like their hot dogs.

But hey, if you don't agree then just don't shop there...

I go to Costco occasionally and do have a membership there. I usually shop the sale items as they are often 25-30% off. No rebate just instant savings. These are hard to beat but a frugal shopper might do it. Their gas is rated top tier and I do get it their when I am nearby. I do find the my engine runs fine but the gas seems to burn faster in all 3 of my vehicles than other brands. Shell also burns faster so I wonder if there is a connection between those 2.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Not my cup of tea either.

I do not like having excess of anything on hand. Just shop for what I need and restock as needed. I don't like frozen anything nor freezing meat(nasty!).

Yep, me too. I go to Publix Supermarket and take advantage of BOGO free deals, + my coupons and then get an Exxon $50 gas card for $40 (with coupon).

Never was a member of Costoc, Sam's or BJ's.

Before you shop at Costco, you better know you're prices. Not too many deals to be had at Costco if you factor in membership fee.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
I recently bought a pair of glasses that worked out really good on saving some money. Tried the bait and switch with Stanton Optical and learned a valuable lesson.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
B

Eyewear savings alone will pay for the membership. Then factor in the savings for more than one person and prescription sunglasses.

I personally really like it because everything the carry is quality.

If you don't get a per qty deal, you pay the same price but the quality is 30% better.

Like meat... Their meat is very solid, but you don't get that good of a deal on it.

I think it is only good if you are a large family.

I stopped going because I don't need that much stuff I am currently living alone, wife and kid gone.

Their spices, black shirts, meat, batteries... It is all great, but once you purchase the bulk stuff you need you don't end up going again for a long time.

My wife writes the her shopping list and I do all the shopping.

Some say Publix is expensive but if you shop the deals... they are less expensive than Walmart.

When you talk about quality and value for money, look no further than their Tuscan olive oil. Not a bulk buy item at all either.

There are other examples. Kirkland French Champagne and Kirkland Prosecco are both outstanding.

I guess I'm one of those that "lives" the Costco "lifestyle" don't know how to put that in better words. Tires on all my trucks are bought at Costco and I can bring it there for it's regular tire rotations. Most of our appliances and electronics are from there too. Buy most of our food there. Fill up our gas tanks there. Heck it's walking distance to where I work so I buy lunch at the food court there too and occasionally go into the store and pickup supplies and random stuff. Can't beat the $1.50 hot dogs!

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Originally Posted By: Evanson
Yep. It's nice to be able to give business to a company that treats it's employees well.

^^^THIS ^^^

Screw Walmart and Shams club

X Infinity!!!
cheers3.gif

Costco works for our family. But I agree, you have to shop sometimes for the deals. Not everything is a bargain. But the quality of food and meats is better than Sams.
Plus it's the only place in my area that I can find - Palmetto Cheese -" The Pimento Cheese with Soul "
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
One thing I saved hundreds of dollars on at Costco was my glasses. I don't think you can get them much cheaper anywhere else.

Walmart or online.

I have to say, Lens Crafters was reasonable, especially considering they make them then and there!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Costco works for me. If you don't like there stores and their system don't go.

Gasoline alone is worth the price of admission.

Don't have that in this area.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back