What's Everybody Hiding From?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97f150
Originally Posted By: pezzy669
Like said above - hiding from the sun.

All of my cars have had the windows tinted to the legal maximum (minimum?) before I even drive them off the lot. Does not do much good when the car is baking in the sun for 9 hours while I am at work but it does help with keeping it cool while driving and running the a/c.

Someone above said with modern a/c tint is unnecessary. Yeah....no. My Mazda 3 needs all the help it can get to cool down and keep the interior cool.

The a/c does nothing to cool off a car that has been sitting in the sun all day. Not for the first 5-10 minutes anyway. Nice not having as much of a blast of hot air when you open the door, or burning yourself on the hard plastic or seat belt buckle.

My Coupe de Ville (black over maroon, no tint) will go from 150+ (parked in the sun in Birmingham, AL) to 80 in less than 5 minutes with the A/C running...might need to have your A/C checked. I wouldn't mind light tint, but it's not legal here on a car.

Note that on a truck (or van, SUV, PT Cruiser, Magnum), you can tint everything behind the front door windows as dark as you want. My Cherokee, like most, has factory tint (though not that dark).

Just an observation - the people that I encounter on the road with blacked-out window tint also tend to be absolute scumbags with the way they drive. Cutting off, cutting into line, you name it - it happens more often than not from a person with the blackout tint. Probably because they don't want to be seen when other drivers are yelling at them.

I know for a fact side windows so darkly tinted that you can't see the driver are illegal....I don't know how these people are getting away with it...

Originally Posted By: lexus114
It`s happening around here a lot lately too. Actually for the last 10 years or so. I like a light tint, still does what others have mentioned re; keeping interior from fading etc. But this limo tint stuff is ridiculous. And it`s illegal in PA to have the side windows (even with driver)to be tinted. So how they are getting away with it is beyond me?

I did not know that this thread is about window film. Most excellent.

To answer your question, in my experience they get the car inspected with it off and then immediately go to the auto parts store and buy either 20% VLT or 5% VLT window film, then spray and squeege away.

I think that someone would get pulled over for this car, as the tint does look unnatural..

very-dark-window-tint.jpg

though not necessarily this one, as I can see inside. I like the tint of the Grey BMW more than the Dodge as well.

IMG_1852.jpg

Carbon-35.jpg

IIRC you can be stopped and ticketed but it is a fine only. Some towns are all over this and some simply dont care

Originally Posted By: grampi
I know for a fact side windows so darkly tinted that you can't see the driver are illegal....I don't know how these people are getting away with it...

They walk into the nearest Walmart or other auto parts store, buy the 5% VLT stuff with quality marked BEST and spray it on with some Black Magic tint application kit consisting of window spray and a squeege. And they have never been stopped about it, and if they have they pay the fine and roll the dice that they will not see that second police officer that ticketed them a second time.

The strangest example of this that I recently saw here in north Idaho (where the sun only shows up for 6 months per year) was a dilapidated flat bed delivery truck with super dark window tint. Local police don't seem to care. But 30 miles from here, the Spokane, WA police have tint meters for enforcing tint laws.

I have 5% tint on all the windows on my Silverado except the windshield. I am not a drug dealer or user. I have it because I want it. I also like my privacy. Is there something wrong with that?

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
mg2384rs.jpg

20% sides, 35% rear...Keeps out summerFlorida heat...and it separates Kitacamry from the thousands of other Cams here

Kitacamry looks like every other Camry I see from Homestead to Jacksonville.

Here in south Texas,tint is a MUST. Here`s mine,it`s probably 10 years old now and it starting to peel in some places. Rear window and rear side windows are limo. When I have it redone,I want it limo`d all the way around. Will tint shops do that,or do you have to find someone who`s willing to do it? Reason I want limo all the way around,is because the south Texas sun is REALLY hard on your interior.

2iagcp0.jpg

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

20% sides, 35% rear...Keeps out summerFlorida heat...and it separates Kitacamry from the thousands of other Cams here

Kitacamry looks like every other Camry I see from Homestead to Jacksonville.

There aren't many tinted Camrys here in my area.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
No tint allowed in NY except with medical clearance. That does not stop folks from tinting, though. Most folks go with light tints to cut the glare, although some do go darker and get busted for it.

As a person who writes tint summons, and testifies in traffic court from time to time, tint IS allowed in NYS....6 inch strip on the windshield, 70% on the front and rear sides, and as dark as you want on the back window.

For reference, this is 35% sides and 20% back on a regular cab truck. I had this truck when I lived in NC, and 35% was the legal minimum on the front sides. With trucks though, any window behind the front sides could be tinted as dark as you want or completely covered. I figured 20% was good.

IMG_0147.jpg

Started out with tinting the windows when I lived in Texas. Got used to it. My reasoning is 50/50.. sun protection and privacy. I'm pretty sure most drivers don't care to see my disgusting habits...

Originally Posted By: Donald
Have you cleaned your glasses lately? Maybe its just dirty glasses.

You just made me spew coffee all over the place! ha ha ha! I believe tinting is illegal in Michigan.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Originally Posted By: Donald
Have you cleaned your glasses lately? Maybe its just dirty glasses.

You just made me spew coffee all over the place! ha ha ha! I believe tinting is illegal in Michigan.

If you can't see the driver, yes.

But there are so many cars/trucks blacked out, you could not pull them over....

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I have 5% tint on all the windows on my Silverado except the windshield. I am not a drug dealer or user. I have it because I want it. I also like my privacy. Is there something wrong with that?

If people from outside your vehicle can't see through your side windows, then it's illegal...

If people from outside your vehicle can't see through your side windows, then it's illegal...
Well, if thats the case, then the police around here don't care as I have had cops sitting right beside me at interesctions and they never pulled me over.

If you are in a car with inadequate a/c without tint you feel like you are burning up unless it is at night or a cloudy day down here in the jungle..I was in a 2010 Mazda 3 a couple of weeks ago with temps in the 80's without tint and felt that way.

Just about every car in Miami has tint..Even the bulk of the Leo cars have tint even though the Leos have to pay for it for their take home car.

I have 18% all around but might go darker next time around..The darker the tint the better it seems to hold up..Back in 2005 I did my car with 18% and my friend did his car [at the same place] with around 25%..Mine is still good to go and his got all blurry 3 years ago and had to be redone.

For most cars you can run your a/c on low the entire summer with decent tint.

Since the 80's I only know of one person who got stopped for dark tint in Miami..He had 3% all around and large 3% strip [way below the ase line] on top of the winsheild..He never changed the tint and never got another ticket for it again.

My car came with very dark, reflective tint. Not typically legal on cars. Does match the car nicely though...

I don't like it. I sometimes end up putting the windows down at night, just to see at intersections.

Well, if thats the case, then the police around here don't care as I have had cops sitting right beside me at interesctions and they never pulled me over.

That doesn't suprise me...it's not uncommon to see cops yacking on cell phones while they're driving, which is also illegal here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back