What to run in a Yamaha Zuma 125 Scoot

I purchased a '23 Yamaha Zuma over a month ago and completed the 600 mile engine break-in. I'm now trying to land on an oil to use. I will run Pennzoil conventional 10w40 out to about 2k miles and then switch to full synthetic to satisfy that elusive engine break-in some refer to since it won't hurt anything.

Owner's manual calls for SAE 10w40 type SJ or greater, JASO MA or MB. But, this scooter has a dry clutch CVT, so no need for MA-(x) rated oils as the clutch and final drive don't share the engine oil. When looking for JASO MB rated oils, they are normally labeled conventional and are $15-20/quart (Maxima, Honda, Motul, Yamalube). The one exception is a 10w40 full synthetic by Lucas lubrication, but I am not too keen on their products and feel safer to avoid (just personal preference).

I began to look at automobile engine oils as this scooter is more inline with automobile oil needs than is motorcycles. I landed on wanting an HTHS of at least 3.5 for our passenger vehicles, but with the scooter spinning 7-8k rpm at cruising speeds, I wondered what HTHS should be sought after? Obviously it's not doing Ducati revolutions, but it's way higher than the average engine speed of my Toyotas.

One oil that stuck out to me because I can get a 6 quart case for under $60 is Royal Purple's HPS in 10w40. It is a high ZDDP oil and normally for older vehicles (flat tappet) and performance cars. I'm not sure what the the valve design of the Zuma is, but I doubt it has roller rockers, so possibly the higher anti-wear additives of RP HPS would be of benefit, as would the slippery friction modifiers not found in as great abundance in oils tailored to motorcycles.

I normally don't consider Royal Purple products along with Lucas as I see them marketing to the likes of Ricky Bobby. I'm more partial to the secular seriousness of the Dutch and more often than not give my money to Shell. But that obviously is a dumb generalization and doesn't speak to the quality of the oils. Many might say, "well if that's the case just pick up some synthetic Rotella." But again, my thought process presently is Rotella is motorcyle rated, so I could get something more "slippery" for the little gas sipping scoot.

The one negative that I read about concerning RP is it's high sulpher count and I guess that is bad for non-ferrous alloy corrosion? Both the piston and cylinder wall of the Zuma is aluminum. I wish I was smart enough to disseminate some/all of the information on this site and we could avoid my long-winded post altogether, but here I am, bowing before the BITOG gods asking for guidance. Thank you for any advice and I look forward to the discussion!

Here's a link to the product sheet for Royal Purple's HPS:

Last edited:
You're lucky, you don't need anything exotic for your scooter. If you had a 1000cc Superbike you might want to step up the game a bit. Check out this valvetrain from a BMW S1000RR at redline:

An engine will break in with any kind of base oil . Use what oil rating your owners manual recommends. Changing the oil regularly with a quality oil from one of the major oil companies will do more to prolong the life on the engine than any particular oil

You're lucky, you don't need anything exotic for your scooter. If you had a 1000cc Superbike you might want to step up the game a bit. Check out this valvetrain from a BMW S1000RR at redline:

Notice the blow by gasses and the oil mist . Common to every internal combustion engine for those that think volatility is important for other than the oil thickening in service.

Rotella 15w40 or T6 5w40 will work great. If you prefer a motorcycle oil, my favorites the past few years have been Valvoline Motorcycle 10w40 (both the blue bottle and gray bottle synthetic) and Honda GN4 10w40. All are widely available and great oils.

I used to run RP HPS 5-30 in my drag bike, but I changed it every race.
For your application, Rotella 15-40 will work great and it is dirt cheap.

can you post a picture of your scooter? I always appreciate it when I can visualize what we are talking about. I try to post pics when I can, so people can associate the vehicle and my post.

I just went and looked it up since I was wondering also. OP, how do you like the scooter by now?
64de2e8af5a0f379d217b47e.jpg
64e374c4e63479774b273e06.jpg

can you post a picture of your scooter? I always appreciate it when I can visualize what we are talking about. I try to post pics when I can, so people can associate the vehicle and my post.
Here's a pic I grabbed this morning:

Attachments

• tempImage2lknGs.jpg
    tempImage2lknGs.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 21
I just went and looked it up since I was wondering also. OP, how do you like the scooter by now?

I like it very much. It has been one of my favorite vehicle purchases, silly I know. Everybody in the neighborhood runs around in golf carts, but you can't go outside the neighborhood streets on those, so felt that this would offer a little more functionality. It saves short-tripping the cars and is more fun in doing so. It is not overwhelming for the wife so she can use it when she gets her motorcycle endorsement.

I knew I wanted a flat floor for the cargo capacity and convenience it offers that no motorcycle or maxi scooter can match (even the Vespas aren’t truly flat-floored). It also has good under seat storage as well. That matched with a soft cooler shouldered over me and resting as a rear pillion, I can make a very respectable grocery run with ice cream included.

It cruises effortlessly at 45-50 mph so my commute to work is done easily on any roads other than the highway. I have topped it out at 64 mph. The engine is surprisingly modern with 4 valves per the cylinder, liquid-cooled, and has variable valve actuation. At around 6k rpm, you hear an audible click and feel a “surge” in the torque band. I have been getting a consistent 100 mpg which is not bad for a twist and go and is far better than our Tundra.

Of course, I take a bunch of flak at work and teenagers heckle me, but 8-year olds and environmentalists think it legit haha. The downside is it has given me the motorcycle bug, but the juice ain’t worth the squeeze to get on the highways in this metroplex. Looking more at some destination travel bikes like a Tenere 700 or Tuareg 660.

Thank you everyone for your input on oil for this scooter. I settled on a jug of Rotella T6 15w40 and it has worked well. Just changed it recently at a 1k interval (Yamaha recommends 1800 mile changes) and didn’t notice any amount of oil loss. For now, I’ll plan to run this weight year round. If it‘s too cold for this oil to start in, this Texan will just figure it’s too cold to ride in. And if we have another summer like this last, I might step up to a 20w-50.

Last edited:
Back