Adding Electrics To Small Quad

I'm currently in the market for a small 50cc quadbike for my 6 year old son.

I've found a few that are missing engines or have seized engines and have made enquiries.

Once I've found a suitable unit I'd love to install lights and 52mm gauges such as a rev counter, speedometer and a head temp gauge. I may even fit an electric starter if I can find a suitable bolt on unit so it's easy for my son to start... although that may also be a good idea why I won't fit an electric starter.

These quads have no 'electrics' as such and are probably about as complicated as a push along mower. They all seem to use cheap Chinese unbranded 50cc engines like THIS.

How would I go about adding a 12v charging system to this? I'm assuming there will be some bolt on method out there for use on road legal scooters etc but I'm coming up short with Google.

Question 2...

On these small engines, do the coils ground themselves through the mounting bolts or via the switch that it used to turn the engine on and off? If they do ground themselves via the bolts, what would be the easiest way of getting a tach signal from the engine?

Last edited:
I dumpster dove a 50cc chinese ATV that had a 12v system, lights, and electric start.

I expect anything you find will have interlocks that ground the coil out, and plenty of opportunities to pick up a tach signal.

The tach would want a clean 12v source, unless it's a "tiny tach" made for OPE with its own button battery.

You may find a stator wire that gives off pulsed 12-ish volts, for battery charging, so you'll want to retrofit a battery to take the ripple out.

Back