What Is Your Favorite Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever namebrand is on clearance!
Simple as that.
Most cars can't tell the difference between oils as long as you use the correct wt.

Alright, so we all know that there is no best oil. But, we also know that it's fine to have favorite oils for certain vehicles, because some oils perform differently in different vehicles.

I will list my own, and my parents vehicles, and the oils I favor for them.*

*Just because these may be my more favored oils does not mean I will only run that oil in that vehicle; I might run other oils for the sake of price, and the sake of just trying something else.

1. My [daily] 2001 Ford F-150 5.4L V8:
Conventional: PYB 5w-30 - with Motorcraft FL820S
Blend: N/A (Haven't used a blend)
Full Syn: RP HMX 5w-30 - with RP filter

2. Mom's [old daily] 1996 Ford Explorer 4.0L OHV V6:
Conventional: PHM 5w-30 - with Motorcraft FL1A
Blend: Castrol GTX HM 5w-30 - with Purolator Synthetic PSL30001
Full Syn: N/A (Haven't used a full syn)

3. Mom's [new daily] 2005 Lincoln Aviator 4.6L V8:
Conventional: N/A (Haven't used a conventional)
Full Syn: Mag 1 0w-20 - with Wix 51372 (or Motorcraft FL820S)

4. Dad's [daily] 1998 Buick LeSabre 3.8L V6:
Conventional: SuperTech HM 5w-30 - with ACDelco PF47
Blend: VML NextGen Semi-Syn 5w-30 - with Wix 51040
Full Syn: N/A (Haven't used a full syn)

5. Our [summer/show-car] 1989 Chevy Camaro RS 305 TBI V8:
Conventional: PYB 5w-30 and/or Havoline 5w-30 - with ACDelco PF454 (or Purolator L15313)
Full Syn: (Haven't used a full syn)

And, for the quad, motorcycles, and mowers:

1. My 2002 Yamaha V-Star 650 & Dad's 2001 Yamaha V-Star 1100:
Conventional/Blend*: Mag 1 4T 10w-40 - with Wix 24935
*Not sure what this oil qualifies as.
Full Syn: Rotella T6 5w-40 with K&N KN-145

2. My 2004[?] Yamaha Raptor 350:
C/B: Mag 1 4T 10w-40 - with K&N KN-142
Full Syn: Klotz Techniplate 4-Stroke 10w-40 - same KN-142

3. Our old Cub Cadet (no clue what model) small tractor - 3-cyl Mitsubishi diesel:
Conventional: Rotella 15w-40 or Delo 15w-40 - with Wix 51334
Full Syn: Rotella T6 5w-40 - same Wix 51334

*4. (Newest additions) Dixie Chopper B&S 27.0 HP & Husqvarna (Zero Turn) B&S 16.5 HP:
*Have not changed oil in these yet, because we just got them this summer, and both just had oil changes before we bought them.
When the time comes, I plan on using any 5w-30 oil I have stocked up, as both take 5w-30.
I have already bought the filters for them. They both came with the tiny NAPA 7035 filter. However, there is room for a 3.3 inch filter on both. They use the standard B&S 3/4 inch threads. I bought a Microgard MGL51348 (made by Wix/NAPA) and a Fram Ultra XG3614 to use for these mowers. I'll probably use the Ultra on the Dixie, as it has a bigger engine, and will be used at our large property out of town; and the Microgard on the Husqvarna, as it has a smaller engine, and will be used in town on a smaller piece of property.

Yes, I know. This is a lot of information for such a simple thread. But I like to be excessive.
wink.gif

~ Triton

Well.... This is interesting. Ok heres my list.
#1 Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum
#2 Castrol w titanium gold bottle
#3 Havoline
#4 PYB
#5 Valvoline

I have used all of these a good number of different times. Really a tie between the top two. Both have worked very very well in my cars. The PYB has done great in our 98 Camry. Awesome stuff. In reality... Really any main line product off the shelf is fine. I am looking forward to running Formula Shell conventional in the Camry. Just to see how it does. Also going to run some QSGB in it too.
Being honest I really like finding good deals with these being on sale
smile.gif

1. Redline Oil
2. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
3. Quaker State Ultimate D
4. Liquimoly 4200 Top Tec
5. Pennzoil Platinum

All in flavours of 5w30. I will give honourable mention to Motul 300v 5w30 but I cant stand the thought of using a napa proselect filter on this oil or redline where I change oil every two weeks. Been running qsud 5w30 with mos2, tomorrow its back to pennzoil ultra and mos..gotta keep my rear main seal seep leak in check. Will have 150,000mi on 12 hyundai SOON...Took a pic on my phone as car avg on 44mpg on 91 E 0 fuel. Guess the higher octane helped in this heat wave

Originally Posted By: Marco620
1. Redline Oil
2. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
3. Quaker State Ultimate D
4. Liquimoly 4200 Top Tec
5. Pennzoil Platinum

All in flavours of 5w30. I will give honourable mention to Motul 300v 5w30 but I cant stand the thought of using a napa proselect filter on this oil or redline where I change oil every two weeks. Been running qsud 5w30 with mos2, tomorrow its back to pennzoil ultra and mos..gotta keep my rear main seal seep leak in check. Will have 150,000mi on 12 hyundai SOON...Took a pic on my phone as car avg on 44mpg on 91 E 0 fuel. Guess the higher octane helped in this heat wave

Why do you change your oil every 2 weeks? You drive alot of miles?

I'm more of a price and special deals type of guy. This time around due to rebates it's Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil Super High Mileage. I dislike Valvoline MaxLife. So here it goes
1. PUP
2. Havoline dino and syn line
3. PYB and their High Mileage line
4. Mobil Super and their High Mileage line
5. Napa Synthetic

Honorable mentions to SuperTech Synthetic, Quaker State Defy, and Castrol GTX

Trop Artic
Kendall
Schaeffer
Amsoil
Royal Purple
Havoline

The only oils you'll ever find in my garage.

thumbsup2.gif

1) Pennzoil Platinum
2) Valvoline MaxLife SynBlend
3) Valvoline SynPower

Can't really pick favorites though. I am still trying brands although I'll stick to Platinum in my '12 F-250 & Taurus.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Marco620
I change oil every two weeks.

You got me beat on that one.

He's an oil connoisseur.

Somebody has to try them and report back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back