what is good VW 502 approved OIL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

So VW is up to 507.00 now? I'd like to see a list of all the current VW oil specs and just what these various specs, i.e., 502.00, 504.00, 506.01, etc., mean.
whistle.gif

Are you too lazy to even take one look at the scan of the official Audi oil bulletin that I have posted once again in this thread?
mad.gif

I could post the VW oil bulletin again, too, but why should I?

I could also explain what the different specs mean and which are still relevant, but I already have done that in the past, too.
mad.gif

Quote:

I found the answer. - If you stay in the UK. but this should help none the less.

VW 504 00 covers the following VW-specifications for petrol-engine cars:

VW 501 01
VW 502 00
VW 503 00
Vw 503 01

VW 507 00 covers the following VW-specifications for diesel-engine cars:

VW 505 00
VW 505 01
VW 506 00
VW 506 01

You failed to list the exceptions, which are not covered by VW 504/507:

The R5 and the V10 TDI PD with or without DPF must use VW 506.01 oil.
The PD 3 and 4 cylinder engines without DPF must use VW 505.01 oil.

Quote:

Quote:

So VW is up to 507.00 now? I'd like to see a list of all the current VW oil specs and just what these various specs, i.e., 502.00, 504.00, 506.01, etc., mean.
whistle.gif

Are you too lazy to even take one look at the scan of the official Audi oil bulletin that I have posted once again in this thread?
mad.gif

I could post the VW oil bulletin again, too, but why should I?

I could also explain what the different specs mean and which are still relevant, but I already have done that in the past, too.
mad.gif

I'm such a bad boy.
spankme.gif

Can you get Saab Synthetic 0w-30 in South Africa? A longshot, but in absennce of Mobil 0w-40 or a specific oil, it's ~useable~.

Quote:

Can you get Saab Synthetic 0w-30 in South Africa? A longshot, but in absennce of Mobil 0w-40 or a specific oil, it's ~useable~.

Thank you will have a look if I dont come right with the list above.
On our localk forum we have been complaining about power loss after our first services on our cars. It appears VW has been refilling with a VW505 oil many cars have had a 20Kw loss in power. We have been speculating about a new map being loaded on all the cars but I think there is a good chance that they are using a inferior oil.
( who said corporate greed is only alive and well in the USA )

Quote:

Mori, I never said that fuel dilution was limited to US models. What I said was, "... for our European brothers, the FSI stratified mode (lean burn) is enabled, thus reducing fuel influx into the oil." Lean burn mode changes the fuel dilution transport balance in the engine. Since a higher percentage of fuel is burned, less fuel is available for influx into the oil through ring blow by and cylinder wash down. But the vaporization rate of fuel in the oil remains the same. Thus, the net average fuel dilution of the oil is reduced.

Which Audi FSIs that are currently produced still use lean-burn? None of them to my knowledge. It was removed from the 2.0t awhile ago . . . IIRC ending with the AXX engine code.

Dave

Quote:

Mori, what has happened is that all of the new VW/AUdi engines have gone to chain driven camshafts and aluminum block and cylinder walls. The older engine were iron blocks or iron sleeved with timing belts...
...IMO, the 502 spec, and all VW/Audi specs are perfectly fine for older engines with belt driven camshafts and iron cylinders. For modern VW/Audi engines, the oils have not caught up.

I just lost a VR6 engine to timing chain failure, hence my interest in oil. The VR6 has an iron block but has timing chains. I assumed the failure was purely mechanical. Is it possible that OCI of 10K with M1 0W40 contributed to premature wear of the chain?

Will running M1 0w40 or GC on 5K OCI be enough to prevent this in the future, or would the 5W40 RLI be beneficial? I also have a 1998 ML320 that I would like to run to 300K; current mileage is 172K.

Also, I was amazed at the amount of brown varnish inside the engine. I'd run M1 on 10K intervals in the past, with other vehicles, and they were much cleaner at 200K than this one is at 164K. However it was the 15W50, not 0W40.

Just curious - How do you think a new '07 Rabbit (2.5 liter 5cyl) would perform on dino Pennzoil 5W30 with 4k OCIs with "normal" driving? Would it last 10 yrs and go 150K? It's a hypothetical so please forget the warranty requirements.

Quote:

Just curious - How do you think a new '07 Rabbit (2.5 liter 5cyl) would perform on dino Pennzoil 5W30 with 4k OCIs with "normal" driving? Would it last 10 yrs and go 150K? It's a hypothetical so please forget the warranty requirements.

I don't believe dino oil belongs in this engine and I have no interest in speculating regarding the effects of using dino oil in it.

Quote:

Is it possible that OCI of 10K with M1 0W40 contributed to premature wear of the chain?

Yes, timing chains are rough on oil.

Quote:

Will running M1 0w40 or GC on 5K OCI be enough to prevent this in the future, or would the 5W40 RLI be beneficial? I also have a 1998 ML320 that I would like to run to 300K; current mileage is 172K.

Personally, I'd use the 5W40 RLI Biosyn and use UOAs with Terry Dyson to tune the OCI and keep your engines in top shape. Terry has done some work on tweaking the oil will Bill Garmier of RLI, based on our results in multiple engines and testing of the 40W HD. The 5W-40 formula is being modified for even better performance.

Since I have no stash of oil, and absolutely no interest in doing another engine swap in the near future, I am inclined to try the RLI 5W40. Though my daily commute is mostly freeway, the VW sees 6000+ rpm every day.

Amsoil European Formula 5W-40 hands down. It is an exceptional oil.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Has anyone used the motul specific vw 502 00 oil? Is it worth the price?

what is your reasoning behind the fact that it is an exceptional oil????

Ive not seen enough data yet.

Thanks,

JMH

Results in the RS4 Direct Injection engine looked extremely good when compared to 502 oils. But the owner of that car switched to RLI for a bit better performance.

I would take RI's advice and use Amsoil 5w40/RLI 5w40.

I'm curious but has anyone seen any data at all on how well Redline 5w-40 does in any of these fuel dilution monsters? I'd like to see how a POE base oil with a lot of AW additives would do in a car that calls for a 502 approved oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back