what is good VW 502 approved OIL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
any info about M1 0w-40?? or castrol 5w-40?? full synthetic?

please help me pick a right oil for my 07 VW rabbit.

thank you.

what is TBN?? dont know how to read oil analysis or result.

cheers.gif

Between those two oils, you'd be splitting hairs for your engine. I'd go with the one easier/cheaper to get and drain it every 5k.

Quote:

Re: what is good VW 502 approved OIL??

They are all good. That's the point of having a fairly stringent oil spec. You might notice a difference in oil consumption between various VW 502 oils and you might find one particular oil your engine prefers.

What engine does the Rabbit have? Is it the 2.5 R5?

yes. it is 2.5... ive read few threads about castrol 5w-40 is too thick and 0w-40 M1 is thin.. do i need thick or thin oil?

Synpower 5w-40
Mobil 1 0w-40
Syntec 5w-40

Are all usually easy to come by locally. If you want some more "exotic" oils go with Motul, Elf, which have to ordered.

Amsoil is not 502 00 approved, so dont bother while in warranty.

As for thick vs thin, and 502 00 will do. DOnt pay attention to thick and thin if you coose 502 00.

how about amsoil?? 5w-40 european formula??

i believe they are approved and saw great UOA results..

Amsoil is not on VW's list of approved oils. And for warranty purposes it is very important to stick to the list.

Actualy, you DO NOT have to stick with 502 approved oils for warranty. Only oil change receipts are needed no more than your service manual states. Please don't bother to argue with me on this topic because what I said is true, trust me.

I use german castrol in my Rabbit 2.5. All 2005 and up VW's need synthetic oil. Receipts with oils other than synthetic will void the warranty, however. Again, it does not NEED to meet 502 spec, butyou need oil change receipts with mileage documented. A good idea is to buy oil filters from the dealer and have a service manager document the mileage on your order and sign it.

Quote:

Receipts with oils other than synthetic will void the warranty, however.

So, if you take your VW into the dealer, will they use synthetic in the 2.5L?

Based upon the statement above, if I understand the Magnuson-Moss Act, the dealer would be required to provide the synthetic free of charge during the warranty period. Right?

Quote:

Actualy, you DO NOT have to stick with 502 approved oils for warranty. Only oil change receipts are needed no more than your service manual states. Please don't bother to argue with me on this topic because what I said is true, trust me.

So if I bring in my 1.8T Passat for sludge, and have been using Walmart's best Supertech, VW of NA will give me an engine?

Quote:

Quote:

Based upon the statement above, if I understand the Magnuson-Moss Act, the dealer would be required to provide the synthetic free of charge during the warranty period. Right?

No, VW can certainly require oil to meet a certain specification for warranty purposes. That spec is a VW spec, and in this case is probably 502.00. As long as there are multiple suppliers of oil that meets that specification, they are not in violation of Magnuson-Moss.

742, if you have oil change receipts with mileages that are within the service intervals specified for your engine/vehicle, then YES...VW will repair or replace your engine as long as it is within the powertrain warranty period.

Quote:

Quote:

Why? VW does not provide free maintenance under warranty. Why would they provide you with free oil then?

Quote:

Why? VW does not provide free maintenance under warranty. Why would they provide you with free oil then?

I thought this portion extracted from the consumer protection Magnuson-Moss Act, which I took from a motor oil competitor web site spelled it out, but I reckon I am wrong.

"To be sure, many original equipment manufacturers would like you to believe you can only use their products. However, it ’s a violation of the consumer protections set forth in the Magnuson-Moss Act, unless they ’re willing to provide you those products free of charge."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back