What do you use to lube and protect your hand tools

I usually use 3 In One oil. A few drops on a set of pliers and then working them back and forth and you can see the crud coming out of the joint. Also, there is a youtuber named ScoutCrafter that likes to renew pliers and other tools. He uses a mix of ATF and acetone. That stuff can loosen Excalibur's sword.

Mobil Almo 525 for the air tools every time they're put away. Sta-Lube Moly-Graph in a 3oz tube for the air ratchets, impacts, etc. once a year. Sta-Lube black engine assembly lube for the ratchets whenever they start feeling rough. Other than that, a dip in the solvent tank if they're really grimy at the end of a job but normally just wipe them down with the old standard red shop towel at the end of the day when they go back in the box.

I use Fluid Film on mine. I've never used Ballistol for anything but firearms but I think it would work as well.

nothing?
I have pulled my ratchets apart once since the late 80's when I got them (this was about 4-5 years ago) to apply more grease inside, since I realized they were rebuildable.
They really did not need it, since they all tend to get lubricated working on stuff (especially my 1/2 inch when changing oil).
I took the 2 non rebuildable ratchets I had and dunked the head of them in atf for a few days, then let them drip dry.

I use Fluid Film on mine. I've never used Ballistol for anything but firearms but I think it would work as well.
My rationale for using ballistol is because it is completely non toxic. So even if it doesn’t work quite as well, there are zero concerns regarding skin contact.

Back