What Can Be Used In A Zippo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used torpedo fuel in mine and haven't been able to find that zippo since it dove in the water and hit the high speed aquisition mode !

rolleyes.gif

Jelly - you should try the library and check out some handbooks. I tried looking online and couldn't find the info. Internet is great but sometimes the hard copy stuff is so much easier. My 63 yo brain can't recall for sure but you could look up some of this is a CRC Chemical handbook or better yet, I think it is Sax's Handbook of Dangerous Industrial Materials...(or something like that?) May be out of print, but it has a good listing of such things as flashpoint, LEL and UEL, vapor pressures, as well as a good description of how to interpret. Using gasoline in a lighter would be downright dangerous as others have said.... You are obviously an inquisitive person, but be careful of making generalizations as naptha and gasoline are in same family. A little knowledge can indeed be dangerous. Gasoline is dangerous material, but because we have been using it so much in our daily lives it doesn't get the respect it deserves, safety wise. I'll get off my soapbox now....

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
XS650,
I've never seen that in 15 years of fire training. Gasoline (at least in down under temperatures) always goes "woof".

The container needs to be filled nearly to the brim, and it souldn't be warm.

I lost a bet to someone in high school on that once.

Kids, don't try this at home.

I did a search on Amazon and the Sax is definitely in print, it is about $1000! It is a huge volume, but sometime in the distant past (1987?) it was about the size of a textbook and much more readable. It was on regular type paper too, while the latest one is on very thin paper to keep the weight down I think? Anyway, if you can find an old copy in the regular textbook size you should check it out.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back