Austin....so over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working at a restaurant was something of an an entry level job by default when no non-restaurant jobs were available. Now that people can choose what they want to do, it turns out, many of them didn't want to sling hash. It's a structural problem, particularly if you can't make your own sandwiches.
Jobs keep changing over the years. People used to work on farms and there were no shortage of farmhand jobs. Then later it turns into factory works, then waiting tables and washing dishes in restaurants, and now the latest is gig economy like uber and doordash. I think it is really an entitlement when the world changes and you refuse to accept it and demand someone else give you what you used to have.

I too want $5 lunch with soup and sandwiches with coffee refill in a sit down restaurant. These days the labor cost (because of cost of living) is so high that legal minimum wage is no longer relevant. Keep raising those limit or paying more doesn't matter as restaurants keep closing and customers keep ordering takeouts in self service places without tips.

Not sure if there's a real way to solve that problem, when some people will always be higher income than the others and economy changes will always be there. Imagine people not eating out when they work from home so they can put a chunk of meat in instant pot or sous vide, and not hiring nannies to pick up kids after school because they can just take a 15 min break to pick them up themselves.

I am in SF pretty regularly and have never had the homeless impede my tasks for the day. Not sure what to tell you...
Like I said, I haven’t been there in a long time and what I experienced was real, drug pushers selling drugs outside the entrance of a large park in San Francisco with families and kids playing soccer in the fields.

Maybe that is the norm for some people, but I grew up in one of the safest places in the country on Long Island, and never saw anything like that so while others may be able to ignore it, I was taken back and concerned.

So to explain more, this is today’s news.
I guess there’s different areas that you must be talking about to what I experienced and what I read here?
I mean, this type of stuff is in the news every day almost. I know it’s not exaggerated I see news reports and miles of tent cities outside of places like Beverly Hills San Francisco. I mean what am I missing here?

Is it just that people there got used to it and they think this is the way the entire country is?

Last edited:
Cultural norms definitely vary from location to location. Behavior that might get you ostracized in one place may be tolerated, if not encouraged, in another.
Agree, people get "used" to "stuff" until it gets to the point of no return is the problem. It is fact, people are fleeing to other areas and out of state. Another fact that I see in the news high end stores shutting down even near the Beverly Hills area. Reason given is theft and urban decay (drugs, quality of life crimes) due to lack of enforcement.

Agree, people get "used" to "stuff" until it gets to the point of no return is the problem. It is fact, people are fleeing to other areas and out of state. Another fact that I see in the news high end stores shutting down even near the Beverly Hills area. Reason given is theft and urban decay (drugs, quality of life crimes) due to lack of enforcement.

6th Street was awesome 30+ years ago, when I first went there. Now, it’s very different. I don’t like it nearly as much. Was there 15 years ago and it was still great.

Was there last year and…it was packed with Hipsters, Panhandlers, and jerks - very, very different vibe than the Austin I knew.
I am 71 years old and grew up in Millbrae Calif. then bought my first house in 1976 and left the Bay area in 2000. the bay area was a great if not the greatest place to live until in became over crowded and the people that over crowded it change the politics to the point it was not a nice place to live anymore.

Seems like the general consensus is that the quality of life in the U.S. is eroding, even though our standard of living is generally up.

Living in the country is no guarantee of bliss either. Having just returned from a two week driving vacation to Florida, I had a discussion with my adult son about living location choices. It seems that most areas we talked about had "yea, but........." pros and cons. I.E., Michigan is still relatively affordable regarding home ownership, etc.. But, we have the cloudy, wet weather, effects of winter (rust, bad roads, etc.). Even with the wealth of choices we have, most of us are affected by career and family ties. I suppose a person should choose to make the best of the situation at hand. Otherwise, one leads a life of disappointment and always wanting for something more/different - that greener grass on the other side of the fence.

One poster above mentioned that he would never visit Chicago again. My wife and I spent a few days there last summer and totally enjoyed exploring the tourist sights (miracle mile, museums, Navy Pier, zoo, restaurants). Go figure. We took Amtrak to get there, and I was especially impressed with the Chicago bus system and their ability to handle my wife's scooter chair access.

Reactions: Pew
Seems like the general consensus is that the quality of life in the U.S. is eroding, even though our standard of living is generally up.

Living in the country is no guarantee of bliss either. Having just returned from a two week driving vacation to Florida, I had a discussion with my adult son about living location choices. It seems that most areas we talked about had "yea, but........." pros and cons. I.E., Michigan is still relatively affordable regarding home ownership, etc.. But, we have the cloudy, wet weather, effects of winter (rust, bad roads, etc.). Even with the wealth of choices we have, most of us are affected by career and family ties. I suppose a person should choose to make the best of the situation at hand. Otherwise, one leads a life of disappointment and always wanting for something more/different - that greener grass on the other side of the fence.

One poster above mentioned that he would never visit Chicago again. My wife and I spent a few days there last summer and totally enjoyed exploring the tourist sights (miracle mile, museums, Navy Pier, zoo, restaurants). Go figure. We took Amtrak to get there, and I was especially impressed with the Chicago bus system and their ability to handle my wife's scooter chair access.

I think a lot of the trash talking is done by people that have never been to the cities they're trashing.

I've read a few article/studies that find cities in the 50-100k size tend to have the best quality of life, with short commutes, nearly all big city services, a sense of community, usually cheaper housing relative to income, fewer "big city" problems.
I'd say a little bigger than that would be ideal, because I grew up in a city of about 40K plus another city of 27K less than 10 miles away, and other settlements outside the city limits of both. Nowadays the population is listed on Wikipedia as 59K and the MSA is 95K. There's not much in the way of culture and shopping generally requried a trip to a larger city. The other limiting factor in an area such as I descibed is the jobs available, there were basically only three large employers in my hometown: the university, HP and the hospital district.

For me I'd say 100-500K with an MSA of no more than 1M would be more ideal with available culutre, services and shopping. When I first moved to Austin in 1992 the city limit sign said 342K and change. But anyway.

Like I said, I haven’t been there in a long time and what I experienced was real, drug pushers selling drugs outside the entrance of a large park in San Francisco with families and kids playing soccer in the fields.

Maybe that is the norm for some people, but I grew up in one of the safest places in the country on Long Island, and never saw anything like that so while others may be able to ignore it, I was taken back and concerned.

So to explain more, this is today’s news.
I guess there’s different areas that you must be talking about to what I experienced and what I read here?
I mean, this type of stuff is in the news every day almost. I know it’s not exaggerated I see news reports and miles of tent cities outside of places like Beverly Hills San Francisco. I mean what am I missing here?

Is it just that people there got used to it and they think this is the way the entire country is?

Unfortunately the source you cited is probably the least credible one could find. I was there a year ago-walked from one end to town to the other. From the wharf down to Union Plaza. Didn't experience any of this. The source you cited has had an agenda against the city for at least the last three years.

Unfortunately the source you cited is probably the least credible one could find. I was there a year ago-walked from one end to town to the other. From the wharf down to Union Plaza. Didn't experience any of this. The source you cited has had an agenda against the city for at least the last three years.
So you are saying the business owners are lying when they talk to the media?
Where you in the same area as they are?

Besides the people who commented in the article your are criticizing are the ones in this article lying too?

Im just asking because the facts seem real. Haven't just in the last year a number of high end stores also close up siting homelessness, drugs and shoplifting?

Is this your preferred source?

"According to data provided to CNN by market research firm Coresight, nearly 40 retail stores have closed in Union Square’s zip code since 2020, while dozens more have closed in the surrounding area."

So you are saying the business owners are lying when they talk to the media?
Where you in the same area as they are?

Besides the people who commented in the article your are criticizing are the ones in this article lying too?

Im just asking because the facts seem real. Haven't just in the last year a number of high end stores also close up siting homelessness, drugs and shoplifting?

Is this your preferred source?

"According to data provided to CNN by market research firm Coresight, nearly 40 retail stores have closed in Union Square’s zip code since 2020, while dozens more have closed in the surrounding area."
I can't answer for the stores being closed. One FACT as well is the work from home has had tremendous affects on downtown restaurants/retail everywhere. Many times-the lunch trade in eating establishments pays the rent. All of a sudden post pandemic you have workers now working from home-or only coming in a couple days of week-the lunch crowd has plummeted.
As I said-I have walked the entire length of San Francisco-it isn't nearly as bad as FAUX News makes it.
I don't sit in a studio in New York and pontificate-I'm actually walking the streets.

Last edited:
I can't answer for the stores being closed. One FACT as well is the work from home has had tremendous affects on downtown restaurants/retail everywhere. Many times-the lunch trade in eating establishments pays the rent. All of a sudden post pandemic you have workers now working from home-or only coming in a couple days of week-the lunch crowd has plummeted.
As I said-I have walked the entire length of San Francisco-it isn't nearly as bad as FAUX News makes it.
I don't sit in a studio in New York and pontificate-I'm actually walking the streets.
Im just reading the reports for the store owners, nothing more. You did see the CNN link too right?

We've got people here downplaying the increased crime in Prince William County, Virginia. I have no idea what rock they live under.
Even though we dont agree on everything I like the honesty in your posts. I do the same. As I replied above. I dont discount the source of the news, just listen to and hear what the store owners are saying, including some of the most affluent chain stores in the USA. I think the rock they live under is to knock the source instead of listening to the people in the source.

Even though we dont agree on everything I like the honesty in your posts. I do the same. As I replied above. I dont discount the source of the news, just listen to and hear what the store owners are saying, including some of the most affluent chain stores in the USA. I think the rock they live under is to knock the source instead of listening to the people in the source.

I was with a friend of mine at the Lowe's on 234/Sudley Rd in Manassas, VA several months ago... We witnessed a guy walk out (read: shoplift) a bunch of power tools, and then casually stroll through the parking lot like he knows he isn't going to get caught.

Never saw that before. Not here. It wasn't reported in the daily police incident reports. They don't report everything in those. I think I mentioned that the Wal-Mart and Best Buy have police cars parked in front. Haven't been to either store when they weren't, for a while now. I don't recall when that started.

Don't need to read the paper or watch "faux news". It's right there for one to see, if they want to notice.

EDIT: I heard from my county supervisor that Prince William County Police has a lot of vacancies and is finding it hard to recruit new officers. Additionally, I have not seen as much police activity on the roads near my house as I used to. I'd see someone pulled over at least a couple times a week, haven't seen that in a couple of years now.

I was with a friend of mine at the Lowe's on 234/Sudley Rd in Manassas, VA several months ago... We witnessed a guy walk out (read: shoplift) a bunch of power tools, and then casually stroll through the parking lot like he knows he isn't going to get caught.

Never saw that before. Not here. It wasn't reported in the daily police incident reports. They don't report everything in those. I think I mentioned that the Wal-Mart and Best Buy have police cars parked in front. Haven't been to either store when they weren't, for a while now. I don't recall when that started.

Don't need to read the paper or watch "faux news". It's right there for one to see, if they want to notice.

EDIT: I heard from my county supervisor that Prince William County Police has a lot of vacancies and is finding it hard to recruit new officers. Additionally, I have not seen as much police activity on the roads near my house as I used to. I'd see someone pulled over at least a couple times a week, haven't seen that in a couple of years now.
This is a problem nationally. Under the current climate-who in their right mind would want to be a Police Officer these days? There are exceptions of course. I live in a relatively small suburb. Basically pretty quiet. Our Police Department is fully staffed. Of course they left neighboring Police Departments....

This is a problem nationally. Under the current climate-who in their right mind would want to be a Police Officer these days? There are exceptions of course. I live in a relatively small suburb. Basically pretty quiet. Our Police Department is fully staffed. Of course they left neighboring Police Departments....
Yeah, that exception is Nassau County Long Island, a ten year police office average pay is around $135,000 a year.
Here is one reason however the cost of living and taxes are in the stratosphere.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 3.42.26 PM.png

Source;
Keep in mind this is base pay mentioned

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back