What brand uses Ethanol in Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering.. I know Sunoco does ( and it's evident by my poor mileage )

There is a specific Canadian Tire I go to that seems to give me the best mileage in Scarborough Ontario, that leads me to believe they are one of the few that doesn't use an Ethanol blend.

I notice Sunoco and the likes no longer post if they are using Ethanol or not.. so anyone with insights to know what other company has or doesn't have ethanol in their blend?

CT does not produce its own gas. They sell whatever tankers bring them. I heard that CT gas bars don't even buy from the same vendor.
Although I also prefer CT gas stations, it would be nice to know where the gas comes from. Few years ago I saw Esso tanker at the one closest to me.

MacEwans stations sell lots of Ethanol here, but they also sell regular gas. Unlike Esso, though, they clearly mark which are ther 'ethanol' pumps by making them bright green - all Sunoco gas is 'up to 10% ethanol', so you don't get a choice.

I buy gas from Canadian Tire almost exclusively, b/c I use their flyer cupons and get lots of Canadian tire money with it, which I can then use for oil...
grin.gif

Quote:

MacEwans stations sell lots of Ethanol here, but they also sell regular gas. Unlike Esso, though, they clearly mark which are ther 'ethanol' pumps by making them bright green - all Sunoco gas is 'up to 10% ethanol', so you don't get a choice.

I used to use MacEwans ethanol blended gas, but I couldn'get consistent results, since they'd buy their gas from whoever had the best deal at the time.

Smooth running engine and great mileage one fill, ran horrible and poor mileage the next.

I've been fortunate that my cars have not seen any negative mileage impact using ethanol blended gas.

I'd prefer to get gas without ethanol since my mileage goes down so much during the winter. As far as driveability goes, I've never had my car show any difference between gas stations other than when I had the timing advanced sort of on the edge, I would get slight part throttle 'pinging' from one station but not from another. This is with older carbereted cars.

Pretty soon, all stations in the Toronto area will be blended with Ethanol. It was to be phased in starting at 5% then moving up to 10%. I think they've already started the 5% blending. I'll have to look this up, but I think by the end of 2007 it'll be all 10%.

Shall, Mobil and Caltex were anti ethanol two years ago.

Shell and Caltex now use it (not sure on Mobil and BP).

Funny how Shell and Caltex two years ago "expressed caution", and now it's the higher Octane that is pushed.

Funny how they push ethanol for "the environment", but what good is it to the environment when I need that much more to get me as far with an ethanol blend? (That applies to my carbed cars, the efi cars couldn't care less what the blend is).

Alex.

Because it's "mother nature's fuel"
Makes you feel good until you realise it isn't helping anyone or anything...

Update
Just got back from a road trip to NW Ontario.
Couldn't find any fuel that didn't have Ethanol in it unless it was premium fuel between Kenora and Thunder Bay.

I have noticed poorer mpg this winter (close to 10% less) and assume that it is because of ethanol in my gasoline. I usually fill at Valero in NJ because it is cheaper. Does anybody know if Valero uses ethanol?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Shall, Mobil and Caltex were anti ethanol two years ago.

Shell and Caltex now use it (not sure on Mobil and BP).

Funny how Shell and Caltex two years ago "expressed caution", and now it's the higher Octane that is pushed.

do you know whether pumps in aus have to be marked with E10 if it has ethanol in it?

Alberta (no surprise) apparently still has regular unleaded with no ethanol. I'm assuming as none of the pumps are marked as is the norm in all the other ethanol mandated provinces.I haven't actually tested it.

Top Tier fuel by definition requires at least 8% ethanol if you read the specifications on it. This means in Canada, Shell, Petro-Canada, Sunoco and Chevron use ethanol blended gas.

As well, Husky and Mohawk sell E-10 fuel, all fuel except 91 octane premium in Saskatchewan is E-5 or E-10, and I believe in the Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island all fuel is E-10 as well due to emissions requirements. I am pretty sure Co-Op gas falls into this group as well.

The mileage penalty of ethanol blended fuel is around 4%, so in a 16 gallon tank of Top Tier you would go say, 384 miles instead of 400 miles. To go 400 miles on Top Tier (say 25 mpg on regular gasoline) you would have used 15.3 gallons of gasoline instead of 16 and made up the difference with lower energy but cleaner burning ethanol.

Of course, we don't care because we pay the same price either way, so we want the mileage.

The mileage penalty in winter is higher vapor point gasoline, if it is run in warmer conditions than intended for, combined with denser cold air tends to run a lot richer and with retarded timing, as well as added drivetrain and other losses from things being cold. To run summer gas in winter when it is cold, you would have to run a lot of timing advance and quite lean to get the fuel to burn because the flash point is too high for the conditions.

As far as I can tell, outside of Saskatchewan and the Lower Mainland, Esso gas is not ethanol blended. Manitoba appears to be bringing in law requiring ethanol blended fuel as well.

Last edited:
Everything (pump gas) in Manitoba has at least 5% ethanol except for some premium brands.
It sux...
I've seen nothing that suggests it offers any benefit in a modern pollution controlled vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back