Why aren't more of us using blends?

Oil People: I’m not spending two extra dollars on that name brand oil when I can X brand for less!

Also Oil People: Spends $100 weekly on fuel for a truck but has nothing to tow or haul.
I agree, I find it interesting that many of us here will penny pinch over something like Castrol costing $3 more per jug than Pennzoil, or what have you. In reality you could drive a couple MPH slower on the highway for one week and make up the difference.

If it meets the specs and certs though, then does it really matter?
Because I personally think it’s in the spirit of incorrect advertising. A drop of anything in a product is a blend or worse yet can be called what the drop is. A drop of honey in sugar water is honey and so on…. You buy and use what you like. I do the same.

With the trend toward reducing OCIs compared to years past, combined with the perceived higher quality of synthetic blends these days, why aren't they a more common choice on BITOG? I see tons of people here currently running 5,000 mile intervals, which seems like it would lend itself well to PYB, GTX, etc.

That reminds me, remember back in the day when PYB was a gold standard PCMO?

As a related question, what mileage would you be comfortable running a blend to? 5,000? 6,000?
Perceived higher quality? Seriously?
Back in the day you didn’t have twin scroll turbos, GDI, coolant and oil running at 240f etc, etc.

I have no trouble using blends, but it's too easy to get full synthetic oil on sale or clearance cheaper than the blends. Take the Mobil 5W30 for sale now on Amazon. 6 quarts for 17.03 with Subscribe and Save. A bit cheaper than even Supertech 5W30 Syn blend.

I'm running Castrol GTX HM 10w-40 in my 98 K1500. Rear main oil leak has reduced greatly versus the SuperTech HM 5w-30 that I ran prior. Oil gets changed once every 1 - 2 years, not a DD vehicle.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 12.46.51.jpg

But bro, I can HEEEEEAR that it doesn't like that watery CAFE oil...bro.

Like many others my reason is that the price is just too high. I have some blends in my stash that I will use with confidence..

But I won't be buying any more unless I get an exceptional deal. It's not worth it for $2 less than full syn imo.

Back