what brand of tools to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav

Some brands that have done me right in the last 35 yrs.

Ratchets. Hazet, Stahlwille, Snap-on, Wright, Armstrong, Proto.
Sockets. Snap-On, Hazet, Dowidat, old Craftsman, Proto.
Pliers and cutter. Knipex, Klein.
Wrenches. Hazet, Snap-on. Both great quality i just love the feel and thinness of the Hazets.
Screwdrivers. Wiha, Witte, Hazet, old SK, some old Stanley.
Torque Wrenches. Stahlwille, CDI.
Air tools IR and CP, spray guns = SATA.
Micrometer and calipers. Starrett.
VOM. Old Fluke (many new are Chinese)

I see no Cornwell on that list.
frown.gif

I have never seen or owned a Cornwell tool so i have no opinion on them, even their trucks are somewhat scarce in these parts.
I listed only brands i own and have worked with every day, some others on the list i forgot are..
Wera, Vise Grip (old non Chinese) Channellock, Vaughn, Gear Wrench ratcheting box wrenches, Gedore, Klann and a few others.

I want to try Cornwell if i get the chance to buy some.

You may be able to get a good set with everything you need at a low cost and, as others have said, move up to Snap On or whatever as the need arises. For example, perhaps by a nice set of Craftsmans sockets and drives and screwdrivers, then the less used stuff get at Harbor Frieght. As start making money, you can replace tools that you use most with the more expensive ones while the lesser tools are there when you need them. That is how I started out and a lot of the cheaper tools I still have work great while my main gear (sockets, drivers, etc) were upgraded as I went on.

I want to try Cornwell if i get the chance to buy some.

I highly recommend their extra-long combination wrenches and their pear
head ratchets with the super comfortable contoured polished chrome handle.
55.gif

There is an old saying: "A poor workman blames his tools". Conversely, a good workman can do a good job with lesser tools. First, learn to be a good mechanic. Use whatever tools you can afford. Make some money and buy better tools. That will help you become an even better mechanic.

Originally Posted By: cchase
In my experience, cheap tools let you down at the worst possible time.

Yes. This has been my experience as well. Whilst a quality tool will last through things you shouldn't be putting it through.

Thanks i will check out the long wrenches as i have been looking for a set.
Smooth chrome on the ratchets is nothing for me i prefer a plastic handle like the Hazet or the new Snap-On quick release or a knurled finish.
I have nerve damage in my right hand from a bad MC accident that makes it difficult for me to judge how firm a grip i have on anything.
The smooth ratchets slip right out of my hand sometimes when i don't concentrate on how tight i grip them.

I have nerve damage in my right hand from a bad MC accident that makes it difficult for me to judge how firm a grip i have on anything.

I have nerve damage in my left hand and I found out that I can't squeeze wheelbarrow
handles as hard as I'd like to. I may just duct tape my hand to the handle next time.

what about napa brand tools? i have a few and they have held up extremly well, cost is low and you can warrenty them at any napa store.

I also just started auto school this fall. I figure, since im gonna be using them to pay my bills and feed my kids, ill buy nothing but the best. and with 50-60% discounts on Snap on and Mac tools, thats all i will buy. if something does come up, and i cant make it through school, or choose a different career path, theres no way i will lose when i go to sell them, considering the discount i bought them with.

I have performance tool 45 Piece Stubby Socket Set. It work great for me. I know it is cheap brand, but got it as a gift. I have no problem removing oil drain plug, transmission fluid drain plug..

I personally like craftsman. I don't have money to buy those..

As long as the Craftsman tool says "Warrantied for Life" with no fine print on the label that was with the tool when you buy it . According to law they MUST honor that warranty, whether you are a professional or a shade tree.

Most of my friends are techs and many use Craftsman and also the best quality they have which is on par with Snap Op called the
Craftsman Pro series. They have taken items back with their shop uniforms on and never had an issue with free replacements or repairs.

I'm a diesel tech for a living and have just about all the major brand of tools. Like some suggested before, start small and work your way up. I would start with some craftsman wrenches and then take them for home use when you could afford some snap-on or other truck brand ones. Don't let all caught up in the hype of all the tool truck stuff and think you need everything. Most of those starter kits have a bunch of random filler junk. I also don't have much spare time and don't want to spend it running to sears to warranty stuff. That's what I like about the tool trucks. They come to me and never give me grief when I break something. I could def. see things vary with how decent of a tool guy you have.

Also, just give it time to see if this is the trade you want to do for the rest of your life. It really takes a toll on your body. I work long work weeks and have zero passion to work on my cars anymore. I used to love to putz around with my fun cars, but now it just sucks. Just trying to find time to drop the oil and look the car over is rare.

Quote:
I used to love to putz around with my fun cars, but now it just sucks.

I feel your pain!

Working on your own stuff doesn't make any money:D. Then your at work on the weekends, and you've been there all week already. Not where I really wanna be.

Someday I'll have a big garage to screw around in.

I hear you guys in the trade.

Although I was not a line technician (only PDI during my college years) I know how hard the business is. I think the problem lies in the way the system works, it does NOT promote taking the time to do things correctly, instead it does the opposite.

The car service industry cries about not being able to get enough qualified techs to work in the business, well this is because the way the business works discourages the best potential people from going into it, not to mention all the horror stories from experienced guys talking to others that might be interested in the field, I could have become a master tech if I wanted but I didn't like the way the business worked.

I agree the auto industry esp. at dealers can really ruin it for mechanics. It can take a while to find that right place for you. The pressure to get the work out the door and flag hours gets old. You gotta have tricks up your sleeve to cut time and make out on a job. I'm a really particular person when it comes to my work, but have to keep my production up.

The shop I work in now is only myself and another guy about 4 years younger than me. He's the head of the shop and a good guy. That really helps out having a decent boss. I'm glad I went the heavy duty/diesel route because car technology is crazy haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back