What brake pads do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Once a ceramic pad contains metallic compounds, it then becomes a form of semi-metallic pad. Often with the very same corrosive brake dust issues.

This. Brake pads are like ice cream, quite a few different 'flavors' to choose from.

I know many SRT8 owners who, dismayed at the dusting from the stock Jurid pads, tried ceramics from posi quiet and others. If the weather was wet and cold the braking difference was unnerving, downright scary for some.

Most any brake pad will generate sufficient torque to lock the wheels and engage ABS but the friction characteristics vary wildly....

Sounds like my stock BMW pads, they dusted like a champ but worked very well.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

It's not easy for the consumer to determine which ceramics are excellent performers and which are not.

The FSMI ratings are supposed to help; even though all my recent brake pads have the two letter FSMI code, trying to get a vendor to cough up that code is nearly impossible. You pretty much have to find one at a store and look at it yourself.

I ended up purchasing WearEver Gold Ceramics from Advance Auto Parts. Main reason I chose them is the lifetime warranty and price point($46). I was surprise to see the fronts are manufactured in Mexico and rears were manufactured in USA. I am glad they weren't made in China or Taiwan.

Rear:

Front:

Both front and rear:

With flash:

Thanks for the pics, porksoda. Those have the "FF" FSMI code, which means they're pretty good pads. For $46 you got a good deal. I avoid the EE, EF, and FE pads.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The pfc pads do need a little heat and don't work well in the winter when cold.

The Hawk HP+ and above will behave the same way.

I purchased the Golds the other day but I decided to return them to get the Wearever Platinum Ceramic pads. I did a bit of research and for the $6 more each set I might as well spend the extra $12 total for the better pads. Here are some pictures of them that I took.
I am gonna try to install them in a few days if the weather gets any better.
Thanks for looking!

Front:

Front & Rear:

With Flash:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back