Ceramic Brake Recommendation/Preference?

Just put centric premium rotors and Bosch quiet cast pads on my VW.

Immediately got rid of the brake squeal I had for 30k miles.

We’ll see how they hold up.

I just installed Akebono Euro Ceramic front and rear pads on my Audi SQ5 this weekend. Also changed out the rotors. The stock pads were semi-metallic and they dusted like crazy! The Akebono ceramic pads doesn't bite as hard compared to the stock semi-metallic, however, it provides a more linear braking profile. It also is much quieter than the stock pads. I am happy with the performance so far!

PXL_20240330_224708956.jpg

I just installed Akebono Euro Ceramic front and rear pads on my Audi SQ5 this weekend. Also changed out the rotors. The stock pads were semi-metallic and they dusted like crazy! The Akebono ceramic pads doesn't bite as hard compared to the stock semi-metallic, however, it provides a more linear braking profile. It also is much quieter than the stock pads. I am happy with the performance so far!

View attachment 211916
I have never understood the fascination with a liner brake feel. Most drivers want a sharp initial bite if they need to quickly slow down.

Manufactuer order of preference for me from.
Powerstop, Akebono, OEM, Wagners, Bosch, Centric. Duralast

I really like the Powerstop geomet rotors.

Tried different raybestos lines several times and always developed one of the following: pulsating, dusting, squealing, severe rusting of backing plates. They grabbed like crazy, but too many downsides IMHO and always replaced them early due to said issues. I also experience rusting in their coated rotors

Cuz not every tracks there car and drives over 100 mph like edy. I would prefer to have a more comfortable drive and not clean my wheels every week

I have school 100 yards away from home and want brakes at full potential there. Track? Whatever.
I have never felt that I wasn’t going to be able to stop in time. I’ve had to slam on brakes a few times and they have plenty of power. You make it seem like ceramics are dangerous or something.

I can imagine at 20 mph in front of school it would be just fine.

You seem to dislike ceramic pads, and make it your mission to hate on them. Do semi metallics have more stopping power? Sure. Much better than ceramic? No.

I have never felt that I wasn’t going to be able to stop in time. I’ve had to slam on brakes a few times and they have plenty of power. You make it seem like ceramics are dangerous or something.

I can imagine at 20 mph in front of school it would be just fine.

You seem to dislike ceramic pads, and make it your mission to hate on them. Do semi metallics have more stopping power? Sure. Much better than ceramic? No.
I had Akebono once, took them off after 3,000 miles. EVeryone can put whatever they want on their car. They can choose whatever they want in slew of opinions. I think they are absolute garbage.

I don't like a sharp initial bite. I want to shave off a few mph around a corner without anyone noticing, not lockup the inside wheels because I have ultra ultra grip pads.

And better brakes don't make you stop faster. On a chevy with palm sized rotors and ceramic pads you can still activate abs anytime you want, you just have to push hard enough.

One of my aunt's minivans has some grippy semi metallic pads. The first time I drove it i locked up the wheels without feeling any resistance through the brake pedal. I got used to just pushing the pedal a certain distance instead of a certain force but I didn't like it. Minivans seem to have a lot of brake boost.

Element3 is coming OFF my wife’s CRV. I’ve redone both front wheels now, and not only is there still a small squeal on braking, one wheel will squeal upon acceleration for 50 yards or so from a stop. Going to try the akebono ASP. She really likes the stopping power of the element3 so I figured we’d try the ASPs rather than the ACT, which I’d expect to be very similar to oem, if not the actual oem part.

Element3 we put on my son’s 4Runner have developed minor pulsation… 3 months after install.

@GMBoy mentioned that element3 is no longer made by the original manufacturer. I’m definitely not recommending them.

I’ve never liked the feel of the akebono proACT, except on one particular gen1 mdx with raybestos AdvancedTechnology slotted rotors …. that combo on that car was the best I’ve had in our driveway - but generally the proACT feels wooden and numb to me. Hoping the ASP is a little more of a driver’s pad.

ASP are closer to OE feel, but more noisy, especially in the morning. I think the rotor finish has something to do with it though, these pads just aren’t aggressive enough to wear down a crappy rotor finish over time.

Element3 is coming OFF my wife’s CRV. I’ve redone both front wheels now, and not only is there still a small squeal on braking, one wheel will squeal upon acceleration for 50 yards or so from a stop. Going to try the akebono ASP. She really likes the stopping power of the element3 so I figured we’d try the ASPs rather than the ACT, which I’d expect to be very similar to oem, if not the actual oem part.

Element3 we put on my son’s 4Runner have developed minor pulsation… 3 months after install.

@GMBoy mentioned that element3 is no longer made by the original manufacturer. I’m definitely not recommending them.

I’ve never liked the feel of the akebono proACT, except on one particular gen1 mdx with raybestos AdvancedTechnology slotted rotors …. that combo on that car was the best I’ve had in our driveway - but generally the proACT feels wooden and numb to me. Hoping the ASP is a little more of a driver’s pad.
Disappointing to hear that about the Element 3s; I have them on my car and really like them

I don't like a sharp initial bite. I want to shave off a few mph around a corner without anyone noticing, not lockup the inside wheels because I have ultra ultra grip pads.

And better brakes don't make you stop faster. On a chevy with palm sized rotors and ceramic pads you can still activate abs anytime you want, you just have to push hard enough.

One of my aunt's minivans has some grippy semi metallic pads. The first time I drove it i locked up the wheels without feeling any resistance through the brake pedal. I got used to just pushing the pedal a certain distance instead of a certain force but I didn't like it. Minivans seem to have a lot of brake boost.
ummm, yes they do.
There is a huge discrepancy in stopping distances between various cars.
Also, generally, minivans, etc., brakes are decent in stopping, once or maybe twice; after that, it is downhill! They overheat very fast.

ummm, yes they do.
There is a huge discrepancy in stopping distances between various cars.
Also, generally, minivans, etc., brakes are decent in stopping, once or maybe twice; after that, it is downhill! They overheat very fast.
Once you've locked up the tires, it doesn't matter how much harder your brakes can grab. Extended braking (like track or hills) there's a difference, but one time emergency braking there isn't

Once you've locked up the tires, it doesn't matter how much harder your brakes can grab. Extended braking (like track or hills) there's a difference, but one time emergency braking there isn't
You can find numerous test between vehicles.
Brake performance is a calculation between brake size, tire size, etc. Differences in first stop can be 40+ft between vehicles. You cannot put small brakes on sticky, big tires and get the same results as the same brakes on the Porsche 911 or BMW 340. You will still be bale to lock the brakes.

I have recently used the power stop oe kit on my rogue with excellent results and did the rears on my wife’s Sentra with Bosch blues and O’Reilly rotors. So far everything going smoothly.

You can find numerous test between vehicles.
Brake performance is a calculation between brake size, tire size, etc. Differences in first stop can be 40+ft between vehicles. You cannot put small brakes on sticky, big tires and get the same results as the same brakes on the Porsche 911 or BMW 340. You will still be bale to lock the brakes.
Vehicles with the same tires?

Do you have a link?

Back