What brake pads do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've consistantly used Raybesto's Professional Grade (PG), Raybestos Advanced Technology, AutoZone Duralast Gold and cMax pads all with no issues and good results.

I like OEM for the street. In a sporty car I might change out to something with a bit more bite, and if I'm taking it to the track OEM rarely does the job. With track pads I've had great results with Carbotech.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've come to hate ceramics. They have lower braking torque and in some situations, are downright problematic. Such as towing and performance vehicles.

Auto parts store ceramics are the worst pads available today.

I prefer quality, semi-metallics. I'd rather have brake dust, than poor performance.

Yeah, you're right. Carbon ceramic brakes, such junk.

OEM which i believe is semi - metallic for my 2001 acura integra

Ive used a lot of ceramic pads and they dont hold heat very well and start to imprint themselves on the rotor when too hot.

Last edited:
I like hawk and i have had good results with performance friction carbon metallic. The pfc pads do need a little heat and don't work well in the winter when cold.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
I've had good experiences w/ EBC over the years.

I put EBC on my rear tire on a YZF600R years ago and it actually felt like the rear could do more braking. I mean, how could a brake pad cause a tire to have more traction. It was neat. Good stuff, i think the UK makes them

I don't wear them out that much, so my comparison testing is quite limited.

Caprice I installed Bendix Ultimate about a year ago, and when warm, were a massive improvement over what was on the car (65,000 miles, they may have been OEM, maybe not).

http://www.bendix.com.au/content/bendix-brakes-ultimate-0

Slightly unpredictable when cold, some days on my commute they take a lot of pedal pressure to get results, others just fine.

But once even slightly warm, after 1 stop, they are great.

Nissan's are good...OEM pads, 125,000km, and maybe just over half worn.

I've always enjoyed OEM Brembo pads but have not been happy with any other brand yet. EBC Reds are a waste of money, I was not satisfied with the bite on two different vehicles, and the dusting was instant. Auto Zone premium semi-metallics are junk and dust heavily. WearEver Gold and Platinum's don't dust but burn up alarmingly fast (15,000 miles or so) but the bite is good.

I have been using EBC brakes on my motorcycles for a long time, and have started using EBC on my cars over the past 7 years, too.

I have used Green Stuff on my '07 Altima, Red Stuff on my wife's '01 PT Cruiser and '08 Chrysler Crossfire, and Yellow Stuff on my '11 Mazda RX-8.

The Red Stuff is really really noisy for a long time, but has a lighter color dust than all the other brakes, so it's less obnoxious than having your pretty wheels covered in dark dust.
Once they are fully bedded in, they are good and quiet, and I don't feel that there is a decrease in braking performance.

The Yellow Stuff pads, however, don't bite as well when cold, so you have to make sure if you have a car that activates the rear brake pads as the parking brakes, you really pull up hard on the parking brake when you park on a slight hill, and make sure it's in gear, otherwise it will move. In this case, you are better off using Red of Green stuff as the rear brake pads for cold weather use.

BC.

I use Napa Safety Stop pads personally. Priced decent and wear nicely. At the shop we use O'Reilly's Brake Best Semi-Metallic, Napa Safety Stop, and Napa Tru Stop pads.

I thought I liked Wagner Thermo Quiet but they've started squeaking on my grandma's Trailblazer after about 8k miles (still look brand new). I might take them in and get them warrantied out.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I've come to hate ceramics. They have lower braking torque and in some situations, are downright problematic. Such as towing and performance vehicles.

Auto parts store ceramics are the worst pads available today.

I prefer quality, semi-metallics. I'd rather have brake dust, than poor performance.

Yeah, you're right. Carbon ceramic brakes, such junk.

Hahahaha, I absolutely love Carbotech pads that you may be talking about. Especially the XP-12's. They simply agree with my 400HP S2000.

However, they are noisy and most people really can't use such a pad. If I could go back and edit my post, I would.

So, let's leave it at this. Often typically available ceramic pads have lower braking torque than a quality, typical semi-metallic. This can be problematic in some applications.

It's not easy for the consumer to determine which ceramics are excellent performers and which are not. In other words, there is a high probability that aftermarket ceramic pads will not have the braking torque of many non ceramic OEM pads. Making them a poor choice if actual performance is required.

Once a ceramic pad contains metallic compounds, it then becomes a form of semi-metallic pad. Often with the very same corrosive brake dust issues.

Once a ceramic pad contains metallic compounds, it then becomes a form of semi-metallic pad. Often with the very same corrosive brake dust issues.

This. Brake pads are like ice cream, quite a few different 'flavors' to choose from.

I know many SRT8 owners who, dismayed at the dusting from the stock Jurid pads, tried ceramics from posi quiet and others. If the weather was wet and cold the braking difference was unnerving, downright scary for some.

Most any brake pad will generate sufficient torque to lock the wheels and engage ABS but the friction characteristics vary wildly....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back