Time for new brakes, Saturn Ion Redline

So it is time for new brakes on my 06 Saturn Ion Redline.

When I got the car 7 years ago the p/o put on brand new ceramic pads and new oem rotors. They have been fine, however I would like a bit more bite from the pads, something more aggressive but still on the cleaner side dust wise. I don't mind cleaning my wheels but not every week....

Would semi-metallic pads and high carbon rotors be the way to go? I like to drive spiritedly, might even do a track day on a rare occasion.....

Suggestions please and thank you!

I would think that semi-mets would give you some extra power. High carbon
rotors to me would be a waste of money for your application. Good quality
rotos would be fine.

I would like a bit more bite from the pads, something more aggressive but still on the cleaner side dust wise.
What do you mean, more bite? If you want more stopping power, you need a more aggressive pad compound, but that's going to dust a lot, wear out the rotors faster, make some noise, and not work as well until warmed up. Ideally a bigger brake kit would be the way to go to eliminate those negatives, but that's expensive.

Duralast has an Elite pad which is a step above the gold series and have additional "bite" and very low dust being a ceramic. Pair these with the gold rotors which are black coated and higher carbon content and you will be happy and save a ton of money over the popular brake kits like powerstop etc. Autozone also shows a listing for Brembo brake pads too. They may be an option but I have had several customers rave about the elite pads we have installed.

What do you mean, more bite? If you want more stopping power, you need a more aggressive pad compound, but that's going to dust a lot, wear out the rotors faster, make some noise, and not work as well until warmed up. Ideally a bigger brake kit would be the way to go to eliminate those negatives, but that's expensive.
By 'more bite', I do mean more stopping power. The couple times I had a panic stop situation, it just feels like it could stop harder. Tough to explain. I could get a Brembo front brake kit (calipers, pads + rotors) but then I need new winter wheels and tires....and then I'm well over 1G.....:rolleyes:

So it is time for new brakes on my 06 Saturn Ion Redline.

When I got the car 7 years ago the p/o put on brand new ceramic pads and new oem rotors. They have been fine, however I would like a bit more bite from the pads, something more aggressive but still on the cleaner side dust wise. I don't mind cleaning my wheels but not every week....

Would semi-metallic pads and high carbon rotors be the way to go? I like to drive spiritedly, might even do a track day on a rare occasion.....

Suggestions please and thank you!
That is the way to go. Euro cars came this way from factory. Don't know if they still do. Centric tech support told me the same thing. The high carbon rotors can withstand the abrasive semi mets vs. "normal" rotors

Rockauto stocks brembo uv coated rotors for $49 each and pads for $44.79. I would go that way, and you will probably get it for cheaper than the local parts store.

EBC Ultimax2/Blackstuff pads are what you're looking for :)

Pair them with Powerstop Geomet coated rotors
I followed slactide-bitog's advice Sept., 2019 on my Jeep Patriot (@84K) and next time I will not hesitate to spend just a few more dollars for EBS Ultimax II again. Except, I used the EBS plain coated rotors. Oddly, it took over a thousand miles, but then I got that extra "bite" I was looking for compared to the already good OEM Akebonos. Wear on both the pads and rotors is good. Dust seems minimal (tough to determine with all our precipitation) - I don't notice it being worse. The rotors are holding up better to salt than anything else I've used, but still not perfect. But yes, these are an improvement to the already good OEM setup, rare in my experience.

BITOG OCD job - quick & dirty caliper repaint, tweaked/minimize runout ( https://www.harborfreight.com/clamping-dial-indicator-63656.html )
IMG_4242.JPG

Last edited:
I followed slactide-bitog's advice Sept., 2019 on my Jeep Patriot (@84K) and next time I will not hesitate to spend just a few more dollars for EBS Ultimax II again. Except, I used the EBS plain coated rotors. Oddly, it took over a thousand miles, but then I got that extra "bite" I was looking for compared to the already good OEM Akebonos. Wear on both the pads and rotors is good. Dust seems minimal (tough to determine with all our precipitation) - I don't notice it being worse. The rotors are holding up better to salt than anything else I've used, but still not perfect. But yes, these are an improvement to the already good OEM setup, rare in my experience.

BITOG OCD job - quick & dirty caliper repaint, tweaked/minimize runout ( https://www.harborfreight.com/clamping-dial-indicator-63656.html )
View attachment 209925

Nice :cool:

How many miles have you put on the EBC pads and rotors? :unsure:

Even though you are starting to see some rust, they should still slide off easily when it's time to replace them, and you won't need the hammer :)

Nice :cool:

How many miles have you put on the EBC pads and rotors? :unsure:

Even though you are starting to see some rust, they should still slide off easily when it's time to replace them, and you won't need the hammer :)
At 4 years/winters, the EBC pads/rotors only have about 45K on them now. Based on wear, I estimate another 25 to 35K miles on the pads. The rotor hats, both inside and outside still have the black coating and almost zero rust. The rotor edge and vanes are now solid, light rust. My other rotors would be heavy scaling rust. Should have taken pics on my recent tire rotation.

Here's a pic of my OEM rotors at 6 years/84K miles, very typical of rust belt rotors. I could have actually reused these rotors, but in old age saving $$ takes lower priority over doing things "once and done".
IMG_4246.JPG

Last edited:
Back