Welding ATF drain plug bung onto pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outstanding. I've played around with C3 and older Vettes for years. No drain plugs, for tranny and rear end... Big fat brain [censored].

I'm not even to the first fluid change and it's already saved my butt. I mistakenly followed the refill chart (fluid temp vs dipstick level) for the 42RLE trans instead of the one for the 62TE. The difference is approx an extra 0.75 qt. I realized the error just as I was done filling it-- I didn't remember having to add to the 40+mm mark the last time.

Probably wouldn't have hurt anything, but removing a little fluid is so easy now, why not?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Outstanding. I've played around with C3 and older Vettes for years. No drain plugs, for tranny and rear end... Big fat brain [censored].
Lifetime fluids are nothing new apparently.
lol.gif

People were tougher back then! Drain plugs are for the weak!

I had someone who had been welding for 40 years you weld my b&m drain plug on the bottom of my pain and it leaked. I always thought it was the npt temp fitting, until one day I crawled under the truck for 5 minutes and watched it leak. At that point two months had gone by and disassembly wasn't really an option. I gobbed some rtv sealant on it and painted it black. No leaks. Lol I guess I'll bring the pain back to that guy and tell him it leaked since I'm due for a fluid change.

I'm pretty confident in my welds, but I did a water test just in case. If water won't leak, neither will oil. Knowing my luck it would have leaked if I hadn't!

I suppose one advantage to welding the nut inside the pan is no chance of leaking. You'd really only need enough weld to hold the nut in place since all the sealing is done via the bolt to pan.

Good job,but I dont know. I have a little pump to put down the dipstick hole. Works for me. I dont plan on full change of ATF that often so no real need for a drain plug IMHO. To each his own. Glad it worked out for you. I plan on frequent (every other engine oil change) sucking 3qts of ATF out and replacing with fresh. Should be a no mess way of keeping the ATF clean. 2001 dakota 4.7 4x4. The pan is a pain by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back