Stripped transmission drain plug

Over sized plug would be my choice, next would be a teflon tape. It's a 20 year old beater and that drain bolt is not used often. OP will probably never have to touch it again.

People were truly trained not to repair anymore. It's just replace.
Both of your recommendations may suffice for a 20-yr old car where the drain plug will never be touched again, but neither of them restores the threads to their intended purpose.

I don't know if I would call them "repair options."

Both of your recommendations may suffice for a 20-yr old car where the drain plug will never be touched again, but neither of them restores the threads to their intended purpose.

I don't know if I would call them "repair options."
I just don't like to over-complicate my life more than I have to. If a teflon tape or an oversized plug stops the leak, how is that not a repair?
It's quick and easy.
But instead I should over-complicate the repair with a new pan, drain the ATF, deal with the mess, possible gasket quality issue and who knows what else on such an old car, just to have it done "properly" and perhaps impress some strangers on the internet?

Not likely and I'm pretty confident in my abilities and tool set to deal with the possible setbacks, OP doesn't sound like he has much experience and tools available to him.

Then, you and I define repair differently.

A one-time “fix” that stops the leak, but renders the plug unusable, is not a repair, it’s a hack job.

Not a fan of hack jobs. There are those who think a hack job is fine (like our favorite car-flipper) but a JB weld “fix” buggers up the pan. Which means that any future service requires a new pan. That’s expedient, but costs more time and effort in the long run.

It’s not about over-complicating, it’s about doing the job right.

I just don't like to over-complicate my life more than I have to. If a teflon tape or an oversized plug stops the leak, how is that not a repair?
It's quick and easy.
But instead I should over-complicate the repair with a new pan, drain the ATF, deal with the mess, possible gasket quality issue and who knows what else on such an old car, just to have it done "properly" and perhaps impress some strangers on the internet?

Not likely and I'm pretty confident in my abilities and tool set to deal with the possible setbacks, OP doesn't sound like he has much experience and tools available to him.

Only #3 is an option. Like many steel oil pans, there is a welded nut on the interior of the pan. Generally speaking, you cannot enlarge those holes to install a thread insert - there just isn't enough material to support a thread insert. Thread inserts are best reserved for aluminum pans.

Timesert does make two kits that are specific to metal oil pans (#0765 and #1485), but neither are applicable to this application.

A few choices here.

You'll need to guesstimate at length of threads and trim a Helicoil. Quality dykes work fine. Don't let it run wild on either side -- it'll never work properly

I'd leave the pan on and try to run an M12 tap in there. You have virtually nothing to lose as long as you don't hit the valve body. You can use a bottoming tap or don't be afraid to sand the point off a starter tap, and even the first one or two "psuedo-threads." It's common in the industry to modify a tap a bit to get the job done.

I might even just try M12x1.75 to avoid the need to drill......this was used on engine pans, albeit with almost surely greater length of thread engagement.

I might even just try M12x1.75 to avoid the need to drill......this was used on engine pans, albeit with almost surely greater length of thread engagement.
Avoiding the need to drill will probably be key. There just isn't very much material in this type of pan design:

1704219230974.jpg

You'll need to guesstimate at length of threads and trim a Helicoil. Quality dykes work fine. Don't let it run wild on either side -- it'll never work properly

I'd leave the pan on and try to run an M12 tap in there. You have virtually nothing to lose as long as you don't hit the valve body. You can use a bottoming tap or don't be afraid to sand the point off a starter tap, and even the first one or two "psuedo-threads." It's common in the industry to modify a tap a bit to get the job done.

Avoid the need to drill ??? Just ratchet that sucker on ? Im all for whatever will stop the leak with the minimum amount of work. It has 300K plus miles and this will be THE last drain and fill I will do. Next one will be at 360K I dont think I will have the car for THAT much longer. I bought it at 38K :ROFLMAO:

Avoid the need to drill ??? Just ratchet that sucker on ? Im all for whatever will stop the leak with the minimum amount of work. It has 300K plus miles and this will be THE last drain and fill I will do. Next one will be at 360K I dont think I will have the car for THAT much longer. I bought it at 38K :ROFLMAO:
Tap at M12x1.75

I can't say exactly what I would do without being there in person, and I can't guarantee success, but it's not ludicrous to try. Worst case you replace the pan ANYWAY

Thanks for ALLLL of the replies guys its VERY appreciated !!! Whats bugging me is that the plug is pretty darn snug and it felt firm all the way until it bottomed out, indicating that I have a good bite on the threads ? I didnt cross thread it because it flat against the pan. I would have thought that it wouldnt have leaked at all being as tight as it is. Thats why im afraid of tightening in down more and risk stripping the pan threads. Could it be possible the crush washer failed or defective ? Didnt seat correctly ? The inside diameter of the crush washer was bigger than the thread bolt size and it wiggled a bit. Maybe not centered ? I had to move it around to center it before it mated with the pan. I have a oil drain plug washer with the blue felt....I might try ditching the crush waster and try that too. Thoughts ???

Tap at M12x1.75

I can't say exactly what I would do without being there in person, and I can't guarantee success, but it's not ludicrous to try. Worst case you replace the pan ANYWAY
Gotcha ! and thx!

When tapping a hole, you need to start with the right size hole. Unless you have a tap that has a drill on the end of it (honestly not sure if that's a thing), you need to drill the hole with the tap drill size and then cut the threads. Taps only cut threads, not holes.

I believe the correct tap drill for a M12x1.25 is 10.8mm (but this can also vary depending on what kind of material your cutting into). Once you have a 10.8mm hole, you run your tap through.

There are sources online for determining the correct tap drill size for what your doing. Almost all of these are considering that the hole will be a load bearing hole and this certainly isn't, so you probably don't have to be as exact.
Drill/taps are a thing. I'll cost more to repair the buggered up pan than to just replace it.

Untitled_38.jpg

I regularly use 10-32 combo drill taps for a particular product I make. It allows me to drill, flip to the back gear and power tap.

That said, in a hand drill they are NOT as awesome as one might think. First, if tapping a blind hole the length of the drill is a significant problem (hello Mr Valve Body). Plus the drill portion is short, so you can't always drill all the way through thicker pieces. Finally, if you FLY into the tap at "drill" speed, you're likely to find how easily taps shatter or strip threads ;)
20240102_121843.jpg

Three options:
1. Helicoil
2. Time-sert
3. New pan

There is no goop that takes the place of threads. The above three offer a proper repair.

Of those three, helicoil offers the lowest cost. About $20. Get a new drain plug, so the threads are clean, and undamaged. Get a proper sized helicoil, use a bit of grease on the drill and the tap to capture the chips. Go slow, keep it square.

This would be my first choice, in that same order.

Back