Weird things people do with their cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: quint
He's had it for 30+ years, drives it like he stole it and is running for his life, but the poor car has over 200,000 miles and just takes it and takes it, its hard to tell him what he is doing is wrong.

That right there is what I find weird. Treating an inanimate object as if it were a person. Giving them names or calling "their babies". Freaky if you ask me.
There is no right or wrong way to treat things, they are just cold, lifeless, emotionless objects.

With classics it's different,they are more than just lifeless objects specially for me since my car has been in my family from new, lots of my family members who have sat in those seats are gone now

Sentimental value and pride are real indeed.

The last time my kids visited my parents, my mom sent back a change of clean clothes with them in a Kroger bag. My mom passed shorlty after. That bag of my kids' clothes she packed is still sitting on my table. Its one of the last things she touched.

Originally Posted By: quint
He's had it for 30+ years, drives it like he stole it and is running for his life, but the poor car has over 200,000 miles and just takes it and takes it, its hard to tell him what he is doing is wrong.

That right there is what I find weird. Treating an inanimate object as if it were a person. Giving them names or calling "their babies". Freaky if you ask me.
There is no right or wrong way to treat things, they are just cold, lifeless, emotionless objects.

With classics it's different,they are more than just lifeless objects specially for me since my car has been in my family from new, lots of my family members who have sat in those seats are gone now

Don't get me wrong, I am also not immune to the nostalgic effects of old artifacts kept in the family or from my youth, but I'm not gonna get emotional about how someone else is treating their property, even if it were a classic or antique worth millions.

Originally Posted By: maximus
The last time my kids visited my parents, my mom sent back a change of clean clothes with them in a Kroger bag. My mom passed shorlty after. That bag of my kids' clothes she packed is still sitting on my table. Its one of the last things she touched.

When my dad was going through his last dose of chemo,all his hair fell out. I gave him a bottle of shampoo and conditioner (high end salon stuff that I use) and told him to use it and that all his hair would grow back thicker and healthier than ever,and I was right. It grew back SUPER thick and healthy!! Shortly thereafter he lost his battle with cancer and passed away. When we cleaned out his house I took it home with me and put it up. There it will always sit untouched because it's a happy reminder of him to me. Not a day goes by that I don't miss him.

Always keep that bag of clothes from your mom just as it is.

Might sound weird but i keep the last stick that i used with my dog to play fetch a few weeks before she passed, man this has turned into a sentimental thread lol
I also keep her leash and her favorite tennis ball

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I know a guy who runs premium in his Lincoln Town Car 'because it's a Lincoln'. With the same 4.6L that went into the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis of the same year.

I'm one of those guys. Owned 4.6L Lincolns for the past 15 years. Always used 91 Octane (or a blend of 87 and 93 to get there)...because that's what the owner's manual calls for. I've also owned one 4.6L Grand Marquis which didn't get the 91 Octane....because the owner's manual didn't call for it.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

In the low-rider culture, some of these creations receive a blessing from the priest, much like christening a boat before its launch.

Only a christian would understand the blessings, When a priest came to my house to give my father his last rites he asked if I would like my house to be blessed with holy water which I gladly accepted, here in the valley they have the annual blessing of the grapes by the armenians, there's also the annual blessing of the animals, local motorcycle group always have a blessing of the bikes they ride, lowrider community are very devout catholics.

I can't believe how many "hoarder cars" I've seen over the years!
Whole top of the dash covered to eye level, and the rest of the car filled with garbage up past the windows, with just a small spot for the driver to sit, with the car riding on the bump stops and the tires half flat. That is the kind of stuff LEO's should be reprimanding. It takes a long time to get that much [censored] in a car.

Last edited:
you mean like this?

article-2253520-16A780A2000005DC-299_306x423.jpg

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
you mean like this?

I worked with a guy like this. Had a Tercel I think, back seat and hatch area was packed to the ceiling, passenger side was about shoulder high, just enough he could see out the pass side. It was gross.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
you mean like this?

That's what I think about most people driving sedans where the owner barely has any riders or mostly drives by their self. 25% body transportation appliance / 75% trashcan space.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I know a guy who runs premium in his Lincoln Town Car 'because it's a Lincoln'. With the same 4.6L that went into the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis of the same year.

I'm one of those guys. Owned 4.6L Lincolns for the past 15 years. Always used 91 Octane (or a blend of 87 and 93 to get there)...because that's what the owner's manual calls for. I've also owned one 4.6L Grand Marquis which didn't get the 91 Octane....because the owner's manual didn't call for it.

Yeah, I remember that little tidbit now. There were a few years of the town car that required premium, though the HP rating was the same as CV/GM. Its been hashed a few times and I don't think anyone figured out why that was.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yeah, I remember that little tidbit now. There were a few years of the town car that required premium, though the HP rating was the same as CV/GM. Its been hashed a few times and I don't think anyone figured out why that was.

It must have been to make the owner's feel special.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
When changing the oil, my dad drains the oil and then starts the engine dry for a bit to "get all of it out" before refilling with new oil.

15.gif

Might sound weird but i keep the last stick that i used with my dog to play fetch a few weeks before she passed, man this has turned into a sentimental thread lol
I also keep her leash and her favorite tennis ball

He passed away in 1999, but I still have my red tabby cat Arizona's wire toy, the Cat Dancer (which I also use to play with the current felines), and the little stuffed Pegasus that he used to carry around in his jaws as though it were a rat he'd killed.

And for 30 years I've kept my mother's bronzed desk name plate and her short woolen cape from her nursing school days in the 1930s.

Carburetors that were good for 50 mpg but were never produced because of big oil opposition. One of my dad's favorites.Run diesel in the crankcase to clean out engine deposits. Another biggee.

The lazy characters in my apartment complex load their garbage bags onto their roof or trunk and drive the bag around to the dumpster -- a 2 minute walk. With a work pickup or van, I suppose it'd be fine, but I don't want anything scratching the trunk or roof of my personal car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back