People don't like 5 quart oil jugs....what?

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Went Black Friday shopping at NAPA for a gas cap with a tether, some fool forgot to put it back on the Jeep and it flew away. Decided to pick up next OC since the sale prices on NAPA oil put it in range. Couldn't find any jugs of 10W-30 HM on the rack so grabbed a quart (takes 6) and went to the counter. Asked the counter guy to get me a jug since there wasn't any out and he said we're stocking fewer jugs since people prefer the quarts. Wait, what? And he made no effort to tell me he'd order me one in. I told him I'll put the quart back and just take the gas cap. First substandard experience I've had at the local NAPA. Maybe their customers aren't at all price conscious? :unsure: I've preferred the jugs since they came out.

Most cars takes less than 5 quarts, so the remainder is stuck in a big jug.

With quart bottles, the remainder stays in a smaller bottle and takes up less space :)

When the capacity is close enough to 5 qt (for example, 4.9 or 5.1), then I just pour in a 5 qt jug. If the capacity is less than 4.5, then you want the single quart bottles.

Well there could be another reason. Qts will cost you more than a 5qt jug. I don't think do-it-yourselfer's will give two thoughts about 1-3 qts left over in a jug. I don't.

I'm just the opposite. I prefer the 6qt boxes over bottles. The Ranger takes 6qts, and the Honda cars around 4.5-5. That little bit extra from the Honda's get used in my OPE. 5Qt bottles wouldn't let me do that.

Hmm. I’ve owned one vehicle that took less than 5 quarts in my life. Maybe the guy wasn’t telling a tale but he could have offered to order me one. Lost sale.

So much for personal experience vs reality I guess.

Last edited:
My car has a Honda 1.5L engine and only requires about 3-1/2 qts. It's actually pretty common for engines to use less than 5 qts these days. I tried filling my engine from a 5 qt jug once, and it was a major P in the A.

I would consider buying my oil in a 5 gallon bucket to save money, if that were an option. Then I could pour or pump it into a pitcher or something.

Sadly, my local Napa doesn't stock 5 gallon buckets of the oil that I use. What the hell is wrong with them? I told the counter guy that him and all of his customers were morons, and all I got was a blank stare and a shrug of his shoulders, like he didn't even care. This was the first time I ever got substandard service anywhere.

Oh well, I guess they lost a sale!

Last edited:
Jugs are better value, and as for pouring, I just use a funnel. Two or three extra quarts in the jug isn't a bother either, and depending on the quantity, may actually be easier to manage in terms of shelf space.

But I've mostly stopped paying attention to what "people" like or dislike in most cases, and NAPA's customers' likes don't necessarily apply to say, Walmart, or the other parts chains, whose shelf space is filled with jugs. On the whole, I'd guess Walmart has much higher volume sales, so NAPA's customers are probably in the minority in any case, or even just that store in particular.

Unless there's a specific reason to buy a six-pack, or suitcase, a two-liter bottle of soda is cheaper, and easier to manage, so it's not just oil.

But, the market gives us those choices, which is what makes life kind of great, isn't it?

With quart bottles, the remainder stays in a smaller bottle and takes up less space :)

When the capacity is close enough to 5 qt (for example, 4.9 or 5.1), then I just pour in a 5 qt jug. If the capacity is less than 4.5, then you want the single quart bottles.
Most? I've never owned a vehicle that took less than 5.

I don't think do-it-yourselfer's will give two thoughts about 1-3 qts left over in a jug. I don't.
If you are gonna waste that much oil, mind sending some my way?

My car has a Honda 1.5L engine and only requires about 3-1/2 qts. It's actually pretty common for engines to use less than 5 qts these days. I tried filling my engine from a 5 qt jug once, and it was a major P in the A.
My Honda also uses the same amount.
I just use a funnel and cap off the rest for the next change.
🤷‍♂️

I prefer quarts but by the 5qt jugs as it's cheaper. Fill until full, the rest stays in the bottle until next OCI.

If one has an oil stash, then it should be trivial to have some open oil in the front of the stash. Nuisance maybe, but nothing that bad.

Back