Weed Sprayer for Rustproofing Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That will apply far too much oil, and at a great cost.

I use an automotive paint gun, connected to a separate reservoir also sold at Princess Auto. I find the pressurized reservoir helps keep the T40 flowing better. It will work from a regular gun (not a high volume one), but the oil needs to be quite warm.

With the paint gun, you can adjust the spray pattern from a cone shaped mist (great for inside panels to "fog" areas), or a wider spray for quick application over larger areas. You don't need to apply too much though - or it will all just drip off. I can typically do a car with little more than 1L of product. With the price of that stuff, you don't want half of it on the ground!

I've done this for several years with good success. I think there are two sizes of reservoirs at P.A. I have the larger one, and I removed the regulator on it as I found it limited flow too much. I just regulate the pressure to about 45PSI from the compressor (just below the limit on the container), and that seems to work great. I'd stick to the "mist" setting on the gun until you're more familiar with it, or else you'll end up putting on far more than you need to.

I tried another product once (initials R.C.), but found it wouldn't atomize the same way from the gun as the Krown does. It would tend to "sputter" a lot. I've used the T40 for about 10 years now. Keeping it warmer tends to help too - close to freezing temperatures make it a bit thick for spraying at low pressures.

Hope this helps! If you don't have a compressor, I'd try a good spray bottle first. The sprayer you're talking about will be WAY too fast!

John

Most sprayers made for water based fluids won't handle mineral based fluids. If that's a cheap price for you, use it once and see what happens - if it's still good you can keep it.

I'd be curious to hear back about the Carquest product. I may need to replenish my stock by the end of this year, and I too had noticed how much less that sells for if it's comparable...

I usually buy a 20L pail from Krown, but I believe it was about $230 the last time I got some - which is why I don't want to waste any! Even at that price though - 2 sprays and it's paid for compared to taking the car in.

John

Originally Posted By: George7941
My Krown dealer wanted $235 for a 20l pail of T40. $235 is the list price and he would not budge on the price. I pointed out that it made no sense for me to pay $235 when I can walk into any Home Hardware store and pick it up for $230.

I ran into the same problem when I wanted to order Mobil products directly from our local Mobil distributor. I was even ready to buy enough product (40 gals) to qualify for free delivery. Their price on Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil was higher than the shelf price at O'Reillys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back