Headlight washer nozzles

He always made a point that the cars needed to get cleaned good and a good coat of wax before winter especially the lights also. He would always make sure there was a rag for wiping headlights and taillights as needed when you stopped for gas etc.
Those were probably glass headlights.
Current vehicles have plastic headlights which means a higher chance of scratching the lenses.

I've replace them on Porsche Panameras - they do the same thing shoot them in the air. Bumper removal necessary to replace the unit but if you are careful you can fish around and install the jet. My 08 Cadillac CTS has washers but they are fixed in the bumper so nothing to wear out - nice system but it automatically cleans the light at every 3rd windshield wash and I hate not having control because it usually goes off after the car is washed and spray waxed down real good lol. I guess only the SRT GC got the washers? My GC Overland does not have them and of course your bumper is a different design. I want a GC SRT or Trackhawk so bad lol

Headlight washers are the most useless thing ever made up! They should be on pickup trucks to clean the lights when covered in muck and mud from a trail....instead we get this

After spending a lifetime driving with dim halogens behind a yellow'd housing I can't imagine just what this is needed for... cripes, I don't use high beams on my new car, these LED lights are like laser beams.

But I can get how, once you have them, you'd never go back. I have definitely cleaned off headlights more than a time or two with a windshield squeegee at the gas station (and been yelled at for doing that too). If I did that then I made sure to get the brake lights too, although I guess today I could just leave them dirty and have a natural "smoked" look rather than pay stupid money to defeat what is arguably a good safety feature.

They work great in the winter to blast the salt and slush off the lights, so I definitely plan on keeping them. This is the first time I've had a problem and hoping it's a fluke (I'd be surprised to hear this is a common mode of failure).
I think in many Scandinavian countries the headlight washers were required by law when hids became prevalent. I remember when Volvos had headlight wiper blades.

Check this out:

I don't know if Saab being the first is true (though it wouldn't be surprising), but headlight wipers were a feature during the 80s, predating HIDs.

During the grey market import craze back then, there were easily spotible telltale signs that a car in question wasn't a U.S. model -- slim non-DOT bumpers, E-code headlights possibly with wipers, and sometimes, hubcaps on steel wheels, when the alloys weren't on the original order sheet.

Even Mercedes equipped their mid-80s models, like the E-class, with wiper systems on the DOT headlights.

Europeans have a different philosophy when it comes to lighting and safety, with cleaning systems, and the assumption that bulbs are maintenance items, not expected to last the lifetime of the car.

IIRC, didn't headlight washers start in Europe, being mandatory when HID lights were approved? Concerns about glare from dirty lenses..I could be wrong. I like them, but would prefer them optional.

There's very clear control of when they operate in a Toyota/Lexus. You must have the headlights on and there's a specific button on the dash you press, which activates the headlight washers.

There's very clear control of when they operate in a Toyota/Lexus. You must have the headlights on and there's a specific button on the dash you press, which activates the headlight washers.
These only activate if the headlights are in the on or Auto position (thanks to @Nick1994 for suggesting to check that). However, like with my bimmer, they are used based on some pre-determined period of time or number of windshield sprays, there is no separate button.

Vehicle goes in today to replace the broken one.

Vehicle goes in today to replace the broken one.
So, big fail by the parts department, they ordered the driver's side after the SM told them it was the passenger side 🤦‍♂️They did remove the screw from my front-right tire though so the service visit wasn't a complete waste.

So, now another 2-week wait for the right part to arrive, ugh.

Back