Was I scammed by Shell Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: j_mac

Anyone know why all the Chevrons have pulled out of the Huntington, WV area?

All Texacos and Chevrons were pulled from the east coast, not just your area. They claim that they were focusing on the western US for business reasons.

Like you I was a Texaco and Chevron man... The first full tank of Shell 93 I put in my Z06 my gas gauge malfunctioned and dropped to "E." It is a well known probably with those cars. Probably a coincidence, but still...

Shell is now the best option here in the mid-atlantic.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Originally Posted By: j_mac
Is there any proof anywhere that V-power is a truly "Super Detergent?"
All Shell has done is confuse me. If V-power is THAT good I want to see some evidence.

I have yet to see any definitive proof that Top Tier itself is anything more than a marketing tool.

So you can explain why, if it nothing more than a marketing tool, that when one goes to one of the stations on the list, there is no mention of Top Tier.

Not on the property. Not in the commercials.

The shells in my area run little printed ads on top of the pumps that say "Top-Tier" or something. Also including a picture of a clean valve. And the v-power is supposed to have like twice or three times the additive that the 89 and 87 have.

We're starting to get quite a few conoco phillps around here and those have consistantly given me 1mpg better than any other station to date. If I can't find a conoco phillps I'll try to find a shell. Other than those its either sinclair, cenex, or what ever fuel Caseys and Kum n Go uses. Kum n Go uses Flint hills gas, not sure about them as I dont know much about them.

Originally Posted By: bandz7
All Texacos and Chevrons were pulled from the east coast, not just your area. They claim that they were focusing on the western US for business reasons.
really...? hmm....I got a local beverage mart in my area that still carries the Chevron branding, signage at the street, and the "fancy" Chevron pumps....could this be a "counterfeit" station? lol...

I will say though, a "more local" Chevron station closed up in my area, was a "Kangaroo Express" on premises, but I guess, no need for 4 gas stations in a 5 mile radius (yes....really...and then go another mile or 2 outside that radius and there's another one down the road) so perhaps the reason for the closing.

Furthermore, on the topic of being "scammed" I will say, I'm sure the "V-Power" (is it 93 AKI?) likely has more detergency to it, if you run 93 in a car that isn't "designed" for 93...you'll be left with a helluva bunch of "unburned" fuel, seeing as how 93 "burns hotter" than 87...and so, if the engine (to include injectors, throttle body, spark plugs, etc...) can not completely burn away the 93 AKI fuel, you will be left with carbon build up/deposits on the injectors, pistons, etc...EVEN THOUGH that 93 AKI may possibly contain a higher detergency...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
hmm....I got a local beverage mart in my area that still carries the Chevron branding, signage at the street, and the "fancy" Chevron pumps....could this be a "counterfeit" station? lol...

Here's an article from GasBuddy.com on Dec. 7 2009

After review of its U.S. portfolio, Chevron has decided to withdraw its motor fuels operations in some areas of the eastern United States, including Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, New Jersey, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington, D.C., and parts of Tennessee. Approximately 1,100 independently owned and operated retail stations will be debranded.

I guess it's not the entire east coast, but a solid amount of states.

Originally Posted By: VR1
I will say Shell gas makes you get less MPG because of the Nitrogen enriched part of it burns cleaner but, Nitrogen is light so its a trade off for less mileage I have noticed.

FALSE. Nitrogen is an INERT GAS. It is not actually present in the fuel. The additives are "enriched" with Nitrogen. Thats like aerating a red wine. You add oxygen to it(by twirling it in a wine glass(thus the shape of a wine glass)) to open it up and enhance the body and taste, but oxgen is not present in the wine.

Nitrogen DOES NOT burn cleaner. It is an INERT GAS. It does not react to anything. STOP trying to sound like you know what your talking about.

Go to their website to learn about fuel and you see a zipper head looking guy with some white middle aged housewife telling you about their product. Its quite comical to say the least lol.

o0o0o0o0o FANTASTIC!!! Now you resort to racial slurs!!!! Can we can a BAN hammer over here!?!?!?

I know that the nitrogen is not that great yea it might burn a little cleaner but, it marks your engine burn more fuel. I know alot about nitrogen use it at work and it evaporates easily and doesn't last that long at all and this is a big dewar so imagine a little 20 gallon tank. I'm just saying. I don't trust Shell never have and never will.

EVERY post I read of yours is as useless as the last.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
FALSE. Nitrogen is an INERT GAS. It is not actually present in the fuel. The additives are "enriched" with Nitrogen. Thats like aerating a red wine. You add oxygen to it(by twirling it in a wine glass(thus the shape of a wine glass)) to open it up and enhance the body and taste, but oxgen is not present in the wine.

Nitrogen DOES NOT burn cleaner. It is an INERT GAS. It does not react to anything. STOP trying to sound like you know what your talking about.

While I don't disagree with some of your comments about what VR1 has to say, you are absolutely WRONG when you say Nitrogen is an inert gas. The inert gasses are: Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, and Radon.

Nitrogen is in a family of elements which sits between Carbon and Oxygen and includes Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Arsenic, Antimony, and Bismuth.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

While I don't disagree with some of your comments about what VR1 has to say, you are absolutely WRONG when you say Nitrogen is an inert gas. The inert gasses are: Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, and Radon.

Nitrogen is in a family of elements which sits between Carbon and Oxygen and includes Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Arsenic, Antimony, and Bismuth.

Hmmm. You are correct!

I would have swore it was an inert!

Nitrogen gas (N2) is considered inert. Nitrogen as an element is not, trinitrotoluene being a good example. Argon is not completely inert either. I have to deal with argon compounds formed at high temperatures all the time, ArO and ArCl being the most troublesome as they have the same mass/charge ratio as Fe and As respectively.

Ed

Why do we go through this over and over?

EPA additives are not enough to keep valves clean if you keep a car for longevity.

Short term, it doesn't matter.

Long term it does.

Will you feel anything in a tank? No.

Will you notice it over time? Yes, but it only becomes obvious when there is an obvious driveability problem. The rest of the time, you are getting worse and worse mileage and throttle response.

It is that simple.

That's why they have beyond EPA additives (Top tier, Sunoco, BP, etc.)

Shell V-Power cleans the crud from the past. Non-V-Power prevents more additives, but less cleaning of prior additives.

Shell gave me cooties
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back