Was I scammed by Shell Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new car with direct injection. I wanted to run a "Top Tier" gasoline. The owner's manual suggested the website "toptiergas.com"
SO, I went there and found that Shell and Exxon are the only companies in my area now that have top tier gas (I used to use Chevron exclusively, but they have pulled out of my area.)
Anyway, I've been using Shell in my new car, hoping to stave off deposit buildup on the valves and injectors. I've been using Shells regular 87 octane. I noticed today that the "V-Power" sticker is only on the 93 octane premium pump. I came home and did a little looking and it looks like to me that ONLY their premium gas is "Top Tier."
What a scam. If this is the case I will avoid buying any more gas from Shell. I was tricked and have been using low grade fuel in my new car!
Am I right? Is Shell's 87 octane a top tier gas? Doesn't look like it to me.
So, Shells telling me that only high performance cars that require a high octane rating need Their Top Tier additives?

I always assumed that Chevron and Exxon have the same detergents accross the board in thier 87, 89, and 93 ocatane varieties. Is this true?

Someone help expain this situation to me. I'm not real happy with the Shell Oil company right now!

Set me straight on this one.

All my reading has lead me to believe that Top Tier gas, and in tank additives are not going to help with DI carbon build up. The problem is associated with design, and how the fuel is delivered in these engines. Some are better than others.

As far as Shell being Top Tier, around here I've seen Shell get late night drops from tankers with no name on the side. Then that same tanker drops fuel at another no name station a few miles away. FWIW

You are using the best fuel. Their 93 octane has more detergent but hurt my fuel mileage because my vehicles are spec'ed for 87 octane. Your motor oil is going to have something to do with your deposit control also and if you need 5W30 I recommended dexos1 spec. oil. Top tier stations are supposed to be for all grades.

All grades of Shell are top tier. Any station displaying the Shell sign (or any other top tier brand name) must meet top tier standards.

It is common to see a "no name tanker" dropping fuel at a name brand station. I had heard the additive package for each brand was blended in prior to delivery. One day I saw a tanker dropping fuel at a station so I stopped in an asked the driver. He confirmed that each brand of gas has it own additive package added at the plant and is hauled in separated compartments to each station.

Personally I only use top tier (Shell 90% of the time) unless I am in grave danger of becoming a pedestrian.

I just looked a little deeper and Shell's website says all their grades are top tier.
So, whats the deal? Is the premium with V-power supposed to really be THAT much better than a "normal" top tier gas?
Is there any proof anywhere that V-power is a truly "Super Detergent?"
All Shell has done is confuse me. If V-power is THAT good I want to see some evidence.

So, can someone confirm that Shell 87 octane gas is gonna reduce deposits similar to Chevron 87 octane?

-confused by the Shell marketing department.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
All grades of Shell are top tier. Any station displaying the Shell sign (or any other top tier brand name) must meet top tier standards.

It is common to see a "no name tanker" dropping fuel at a name brand station. I had heard the additive package for each brand was blended in prior to delivery. One day I saw a tanker dropping fuel at a station so I stopped in an asked the driver. He confirmed that each brand of gas has it own additive package added at the plant and is hauled in separated compartments to each station.

Personally I only use top tier (Shell 90% of the time) unless I am in grave danger of becoming a pedestrian.

Interesting to learn that the no name tankers can carry different brands at the same time. A few stations here were fined for pumping 87 Octane at premium prices, so I'm always a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the gas stations around here. Another guy got nailed from the Dept of Weights and measures for pumping a bit less than a gallon, and charging for a gallon. Funny I asked a guy dropping fuel at Valero the same question you asked and he said its all the same carp, go figure! Sorry I'm going OT.

I just visited the Shell site. It's pretty clear as to what you get.

To be honest with you, I think you're getting a little deep regarding proof and all that. It's gas. It makes your car go. They advertise 5 times the cleaning agents required by the government. I would say they probably live up to their claim. Whether or not that is benefitial to YOUR vehicle is another story. Personally, I shop by price (but I also don't have a DI engine). I have never had an issue with SOPUS regarding rebates, etc. In fact, their rebate process has always been the fastest with 0 issues. I'd like to think that they're not screwing people with their gas. I'm sure if they were, the independent test labs that sample would have a field day - and be all over the news, especially with today's gas prices.
I think you can rest easy.

I'm sure the driver doesn't know what's in his truck. He gets the fuel from the same depot, so it must all be the same. A standard fuel tanker will have a capacity of 9,000-10,000 gallons and have usually 3 to 5 compartments. Most gasoline storage tanks at the fuel station are 15,000-25,000 gallons in capacity, so even if the entire tanker had one product in it, he wouldn't be able to completely re-fill an entire storage tank.

Anyway, he picks up fuel at his depot and knows he needs to drop CMP1 at the Shell on Main St, CMP2 at the Exxon on Elm, and CMP3 at Dad's Gas and Snacks out by the interstate. To the driver, it's "all the same". But it's not.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
All Shell has done is confuse me. If V-power is THAT good I want to see some evidence.

I have yet to see any definitive proof that Top Tier itself is anything more than a marketing tool. I drive between 25K and 35K miles a year depending upon business conditions. I use whatever gas I come across when I need it. Outside of a single instance of contaminated fuel (from an Exxon station no less) I have had zero fuel related issues. My fleet company calculates fuel economy, and it rarely fluctuates tank-to-tank unless I experience unusual driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

I have yet to see any definitive proof that Top Tier itself is anything more than a marketing tool. I drive between 25K and 35K miles a year depending upon business conditions. I use whatever gas I come across when I need it. Outside of a single instance of contaminated fuel (from an Exxon station no less) I have had zero fuel related issues. My fleet company calculates fuel economy, and it rarely fluctuates tank-to-tank unless I experience unusual driving conditions.

X2 When I had a road job. From what I said earlier, it may have 5 times the gov. cleaning spec, but do you NEED it?
That's why I shop on price.

Originally Posted By: VR1
O and those fancy lab coats I bet there ISO 9001 lol.

haha,, Only if they're labeled with a approved font type and size and then stitched in a facility that is also ISO approved.

To be a Top Tier Gas station all grades must meet the requirements, not just a single grade. Shell V-Power as 5 times the government requirement of detergents while the reg and mid have twice as much.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
To be a Top Tier Gas station all grades must meet the requirements, not just a single grade. Shell V-Power as 5 times the government requirement of detergents while the reg and mid have twice as much.

This is correct.

V-power is strictly marketing toward those who buy cars which require 93/91. A mazda 3 owner won't care, but a mazdaspeed3 owner will.

I will say Shell gas makes you get less MPG because of the Nitrogen enriched part of it burns cleaner but, Nitrogen is light so its a trade off for less mileage I have noticed.

Are you saying they bubble in nitrogen gas in gasoline? Like soda?

OK, this is a joke.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

I have yet to see any definitive proof that Top Tier itself is anything more than a marketing tool.

So you can explain why, if it nothing more than a marketing tool, that when one goes to one of the stations on the list, there is no mention of Top Tier.

Not on the property. Not in the commercials.

I don't know about all the bubbles deal but, I know that the nitrogen is not that great yea it might burn a little cleaner but, it marks your engine burn more fuel. I know alot about nitrogen use it at work and it evaporates easily and doesn't last that long at all and this is a big dewar so imagine a little 20 gallon tank. I'm just saying. I don't trust Shell never have and never will.

I don't know about all the bubbles deal but, I know that the nitrogen is not that great yea it might burn a little cleaner but, it marks your engine burn more fuel. I know alot about nitrogen use it at work and it evaporates easily and doesn't last that long at all and this is a big dewar so imagine a little 20 gallon tank. I'm just saying. I don't trust Shell never have and never will.

The "nitrogen enhanced" gas refers to the molecular structure of the cleaning agents which allow them to perform better at higher temperatures. It has no bearing on gas content or milage. This formula can be beneficial to DI engines as it allows the cleaning agents to work better in combustion chambers. In my little bit of research, I found that many see mileage increases simply from the cleaning effect.
You should do some research on the subject matter before posting. Shell doesn't simply mix nitrogen into the gas and call it top tier.

That must explain why all my past efforts to inhale a certain "oxygen enhanced" substance (H2O) have always ended badly.

Who is that guy and girl plugging the "Nitrogen" in Shell gas? I would prefer a chemical engineer to tell me about it, personally.

I don't know about the ISO 9001 certification, but knowing that they brag about it at my work, and knowing the poor quality of our products, I just disregard an ISO certification when I see it.

Further about the gas... I'm still using Shell gas since it looks like all grades are supposed to be Top Tier, but it unnerves me when they act like the V-Power supreme is "ALOT" better. Makes me think their other grades aren't "good enough." I mean, they even say so themselves.

I really wish Chevron wouldn't have pulled out all of their stations in my area, because thats what I'd be putting in the tank to avoid all this marketing hype or whatever Shell is doing with their additives.

Anyone know why all the Chevrons have pulled out of the Huntington, WV area?

I think you are getting exercised about nothing.
In a DI engine, the intake valves never see fuel, so the fuel you buy could have 999X the detergent required by EPA, and it wouldn't matter.
The intake valve deposits form as a result of the crankcase vapors delivered via the PCV system.
About the only thing you can do to help is to try to use a low volatility oil, although that may not be all that helpful either.
New applications of a clever technical idea without sufficient development will often result in problems in service.
I don't think that Shell scammed you, but what about GM?
Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back