VW surpasses Toyota as number one in sales 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean for it to come across as mean. I fully thought that the first time I asked about the 400% reduction I thought you would say "yeah I know, I was just exaggerating for effect" or something like that.

You can't have more than a 100% reduction or decrease on anything. A 100% decrease brings it down to zero. You can have more than a 100% increase, but not a decrease.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
My original point does stand however that one can save a decent amount of cash simply by DIY'ing.

Which I do too, especially considering the cars in my garage.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I didn't mean for it to come across as mean. I fully thought that the first time I asked about the 400% reduction I thought you would say "yeah I know, I was just exaggerating for effect" or something like that.

You can't have more than a 100% reduction or decrease on anything. A 100% decrease brings it down to zero. You can have more than a 100% increase, but not a decrease.

I didn't think you were trying to me mean.

I guess I had it the other way around. Buying a $100 part and charging $400 would be a 400% profit margin. That would not equate money % saved though.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
The reality is these two countries share the same engines across 90% of the cars. If a UK version of ____ engine is junk, then the US version will be junk too, because it is the same engine.

......by DIY, or taking to trusted Indy, you save a lot! Sometimes it is 400%, sometimes more than 400%......

I just suddenly realized I'm talking to a special person. No wonder you think US engines made by Toyota, Volkswagen, etc are different than the identical UK engines. You don't have the ability to comprehend. HINT: no such thing as a 400% reduction.

If BMW charges $1000 for transmission flush and you do it for $250, that is not 400% savings.

That is 75%. And most of the engines in UK cars are identical to the engines found in US cars: Insight, Fit, Civic, Prius, Camry, Focus, Fusion, Beetle, Jetta...... all the same engine & all the same dam reliability.

I guess I had it the other way around. Buying a $100 part and charging $400 would be a 400% profit margin. That would not equate money % saved though.

I'm not much of an accountant, but I do believe that's a 75% profit margin
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
PURE DATA doesn't lie.

No, but people certainly do. They also like to conveniently omit details that are paramount

The Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens we drive in the US come out of the same factories as the Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens the UK drives. The engine reliability will be identical, because the engines are all designed by the same Japanese and German engineers.

No, they don't. VW's for example, for the North American market, mostly come out of Mexico, as do the engines. As has already been pointed out, the engine options and model lineup are also significantly different.

Let's take a look at one of your examples:

Honda:
North American market:
- Accord, base engine is 1.8L i4, optional is 3.5L V6
- Civic, base engine is 2.0L i4, optional is 1.5L turbo i4
- CR-V, base engine is 2.4L i4, optional is 1.5L turbo i4
- CR-Z
- Fit, base engine is 1.5L i4
- HR-V, base engine is 1.8L i4
- Odyssey, base engine is 3.5L V6
- Pilot, base engine is 3.5L V6
- Ridgeline, base engine is 3.5L V6

UK Market:
- Jazz, base engine is 1.3L i4
- Civic, base engine is 1.8L i4, optional is 1.6L Diesel i4 and 1.4L i4
- HR-V, base engine is 1.5L i4, optional is 1.6L Diesel i4
- CR-V, base engine is 2.0L i4, optional is 1.6L Diesel

Do you see ANY engines in the same models that overlap in the above list? Because I don't. Which tosses your claims, and any credibility you might have had on this topic right out the window. You obviously are not looking any of this up. All of the above was pulled directly from the Honda America and Honda UK websites. You might want to take a few minutes to check them out.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I'm not much of an accountant, but I do believe that's a 75% profit margin
wink.gif

Well, those accountants are a tricky bunch and if you're using the gross profit margin formula, then you can never post more than 100% profit. even if you sold the $100 piece for a cool $1mil, you would only achieve a 99.99% profit.
Common sense and accounting don't always go together.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
The reality is these two countries share the same engines across 90% of the cars. If a UK version of ____ engine is junk, then the US version will be junk too, because it is the same engine.

......by DIY, or taking to trusted Indy, you save a lot! Sometimes it is 400%, sometimes more than 400%......

I just suddenly realized I'm talking to a special person. No wonder you think US engines made by Toyota, Volkswagen, etc are different than the identical UK engines. You don't have the ability to comprehend. HINT: no such thing as a 400% reduction.

If BMW charges $1000 for transmission flush and you do it for $250, that is not 400% savings.

That is 75%. And most of the engines in UK cars are identical to the engines found in US cars: Insight, Fit, Civic, Prius, Camry, Focus, Fusion, Beetle, Jetta...... all the same engine & all the same dam reliability.

I just suddenly realized I am communicating with a tool. It was figurative example and in my post I clearly stated that sometimes you save 50% etc. I agree that proper language should be 4x expensive not 400% decrease.
As for engines, you literally have no clue what you are talking and what is available to buy there.
As of last 2-3 years you have uniformity you are talking about, because VW, Ford etc. figure that they can offer 1.4 turbo, 1.5 turbo, 2.0 turbo etc. on all markets. Until latest Fusion, go to engine in the U.S. was 2.3 and 3.0. In Europe was 2.0 and that was like 10% of sale, if even that, rest were diesels. You talking about Jetta. European Jetta has rear independent suspension and unlike the U.S. version, and on ALL models rear rotor brakes, not drums like in the U.S. Just example how things are different.
You need to figure out that 70% of cars in Europe are diesels, so no, engines are not the same.
However, the most amazing thing is that for two days you are constantly mentioning Camry, which cannot have same engine like one in UK because it is NOT offered in UK!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Silk said:
But does Toyota Land Cruiser use it? I've seen it only in a Prado, which is not a Land Cruiser.

It's called a Landcruiser Prado, not just Prado...it's a Landcruiser. I've seen Nissan Safari's with an RD28, the Japanese put smaller engines in their local vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Silk said:
But does Toyota Land Cruiser use it? I've seen it only in a Prado, which is not a Land Cruiser.

It's called a Landcruiser Prado, not just Prado...it's a Landcruiser. I've seen Nissan Safari's with an RD28, the Japanese put smaller engines in their local vehicles.

He is referring to LC 200 I think.
It was available in Europe, but I think they pulled it out. Probably poor sale due to size. But I know current LC generationw as available in Europe, both with V8 and 3.0 D-4D.
I know it is available in some markets (Australia, South Africa) with V8 diesel engine. We in the U.S. unfortunately only get 5.7 V8. If we had diesel here I would seriously consider that car or Prado diesel.
My brother has LC Prado 2004 with 3.0 D-4D and no question it is good SUV, more for rough terrain then hwy, but I manage it to get it to 115mph, which is quite good. Actually it got there pretty fast for size and power.

Last edited:
Y_K said:

No, it's a 4Runner or Lexus GX
smile.gif
Those are not LandCruisers. You can put 2 of those engines in either of 80, 100, 200 engine bays -- but they never had this engine in them. So, the claim of Landcruisers having this engine isn't correct. Just fact-checking the esteemed orators above.

Not every American is so ignorant about the rest of the world as you think

Y_K said:

No, it's a 4Runner or Lexus GX
smile.gif
Those are not LandCruisers. You can put 2 of those engines in either of 80, 100, 200 engine bays -- but they never had this engine in them. So, the claim of Landcruisers having this engine isn't correct. Just fact-checking the esteemed orators above.

Not every American is so ignorant about the rest of the world as you think

First of all, Prado IS Land Cruiser. Regardless that the U.S. gets GX Lexus with all fancy stuff, Prado is much more capable then Lexus GX and 4Runner. Just because something is offered in the U.S. does not mean it is same in the rest of the world.
I had GX 470 here, and my brother drives LC Prado 2004 in Europe. WHile Prado def. does not have fancy leather like GX, nor Mark levinson (at least his car) it has more capable 4WD.
Though, that GX470 was one of my favorite cars. Too bad it was using fuel on rate with MIG-21

Last edited:
The 4Runner and GX are the same? The Lexus always appeared a bit more stubby to me.

4Runner and GX in the U.S. are when it comes to nuts and bolts, same car.

I was stupid enough to buy a VW late last year. I thought, I'll give them 1 chance...

Is going for its second warranty repair soon... it's garaged now waiting for parts. I'm back to driving my 2005 camry with 120,000 miles and loving it again.

I will never again do it and will discourage let's say 10 more people to do so... Poor reliability will kill VW one day and they just are not getting better at it.

Interesting.

A solid rear axle plus a frame is nice.

IMO, problem is they are missing diesel. Those cars are made for diesel engine.
GX470 I had was super nice vehicle, but used gas like fighter jet and had mediocre brakes at best. New 4Runner has V6 engine and it is seriously under powered. GX460 uses V8, but as far as I know it had some serious stability issues at least here in the U.S.
I know they were redoing suspension and ESP several times.

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. What VW is yours? Assembly?
TIA

P.S. I have been always curious about VAG engine stats in Oz - do they also blame fuel quality in case their motors need the pulverised nutshell cleaning for another 7 grand outlay?

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. What VW is yours? Assembly?
TIA

P.S. I have been always curious about VAG engine stats in Oz - do they also blame fuel quality in case their motors need the pulverised nutshell cleaning for another 7 grand outlay?

I know you're being obtuse, but I have to ask: surely you don't actually believe a valve cleaning is $7k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back