VW surpasses Toyota as number one in sales 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Interesting.

A solid rear axle plus a frame is nice.

IMO, problem is they are missing diesel. Those cars are made for diesel engine.
GX470 I had was super nice vehicle, but used gas like fighter jet and had mediocre brakes at best. New 4Runner has V6 engine and it is seriously under powered. GX460 uses V8, but as far as I know it had some serious stability issues at least here in the U.S.
I know they were redoing suspension and ESP several times.

I also wish they had more diesel options. Heck, I wish we had more diesel options from many manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I know you're being obtuse, but I have to ask: surely you don't actually believe a valve cleaning is $7k?

Even a dealer wouldn't be that much.

Kudos to VW
Competition is good
It's a new year already
All the negativity....smh

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I know you're being obtuse, but I have to ask: surely you don't actually believe a valve cleaning is $7k?

Correct, it was $6,893 in 2011 for my S4, but it was paid by corporate after a legal action. They also covered my other expenses.

The question was this: do they use the same fuel quality argument in Oz? What kind of VW and what assembly was that, please?

TIA

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Correct, it was $6,893 in 2011 for my S4, but it was paid by corporate after a legal action. They also covered my other expenses.

The question was this: do they use the same fuel quality argument in Oz? What kind of VW and what assembly was that, please?

TIA

I'm struggling with what you're saying, and stopping just short of calling it a flat-out lie. Your numbers are not even within the realm of reality, unless there were multiple issues addressed. I've never seen a 4.2 valve cleaning cost more than $1500... That's 10hrs labor @ $125 with the misc parts required... And that's a rip off. It's 4hrs book time for intake removal and 0.5hrs for each valve.

So unless your local labor rate is $600/hr, what other work did you have done?

TIA

$6,893 for valve cleaning? What did they used? Gold solution?
The reason why Toyota does not have those issues is because they are waited for 12 years since DI became mainstream for others to solve problems.

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. What VW is yours? Assembly?
TIA

P.S. I have been always curious about VAG engine stats in Oz - do they also blame fuel quality in case their motors need the pulverised nutshell cleaning for another 7 grand outlay?

2016 Tiguan (new model year), 110TSI, 6-spd DSG. Built in the motherland, W - vin number.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
TIA

P.S. I have been always curious about VAG engine stats in Oz - do they also blame fuel quality in case their motors need the pulverised nutshell cleaning for another 7 grand outlay?

2016 Tiguan (new model year), 110TSI, 6-spd DSG. Built in the motherland, W - vin number.

And what went wrong?
I have Tiguan 2011, I drive it like I stole it, saw temperatures from -47c to +49c, skiing, desert, etc. Only thing that died was drip hose for AC which I punctured when I was cleaning it.

TIA

I'm struggling with what you're saying, and stopping just short of calling it a flat-out lie. Your numbers are not even within the realm of reality, unless there were multiple issues addressed. I've never seen a 4.2 valve cleaning cost more than $1500... That's 10hrs labor @ $125 with the misc parts required... And that's a rip off. It's 4hrs book time for intake removal and 0.5hrs for each valve.

All I can think of is they did the cam chains at the same time for the rattle. That would knock a hole in 7K easy at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Trav

TIA

All I can think of is they did the cam chains at the same time for the rattle. That would knock a hole in 7K easy at the dealer.

Yes, I know that would get you there, however...

HIS assertion was that he was hit with a $7k valve cleaning bill and that Audi in turn said was caused by "bad fuel." It also took legal action for Audi to take ownership of his particular issue and fix the car.

I asked a question regarding the legitimacy of his VW/Audi bash, and his reply was, "go away, I wasn't talking to you." Not to mention Y_K's only post about an S4 was regarding one he DIDNT buy due to potential D.I. cleaning and associated cost.

The reason why Toyota does not have those issues is because they are waited for 12 years since DI became mainstream for others to solve problems.

Toyota/Lexus has been using DI for at least a decade. Dual injection, port and DI, did not have the the carbon problems that the DI only engines had. In my opinion, they solved this problem years ago.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I'm thinking $1500 would be all the money for that job even at a dealer.

https://store.034motorsport.com/service/...ed-engines.html

You're right, and I know I'm right because I've worked at a dealer. I did a 5.2 and it wasn't $1500.
wink.gif

Our labor rate was only $97.50 at VW though.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

Toyota/Lexus has been using DI for at least a decade. Dual injection, port and DI, did not have the the carbon problems that the DI only engines had. In my opinion, they solved this problem years ago.

Good for them, but their way of introducing DI was reluctant.
As for DI only, BMW has it in N54, N55 but do not have carbon related issues like VW. On top of that, choice of oil in VW make huge difference.

As for DI only, BMW has it in N54, N55 but do not have carbon related issues like VW. On top of that, choice of oil in VW make huge difference.

The N54 does need regular carbon cleanings. The N55 system is much improved.

The N54 does need regular carbon cleanings. The N55 system is much improved.

They all develop some carbon, all DI systems. However, N54 never had such problems like TFSI first gen. in VW.
N55 is much improved system.
However, in all these engines it comes down also to oil choice and driving patterns. BMW even had SIB about driving patterns in the U.S. They were warning customers to actually drive cars more on HWY because they had slew of issues due to grocery getting driving patterns.

They all develop some carbon, all DI systems. However, N54 never had such problems like TFSI first gen. in VW.
However, in all these engines it comes down also to oil choice and driving patterns. BMW even had SIB about driving patterns in the U.S. They were warning customers to actually drive cars more on HWY because they had slew of issues due to grocery getting driving patterns.

I'm not really here to get into it with you. The N54 has the EXACT same problems as the first gen TFSI, but there are less BMWs sold overall and the owners of the N54 335i, especially the ones that still own them, are typically "enthusiasts" so there isn't much squawking at service costs.

I've seen it, and have cleaned them myself. Matter-of-fact, here's THE FIRST result on Google when you query "N54 Carbon Build Up."

I'm not really here to get into it with you. The N54 has the EXACT same problems as the first gen TFSI, but there are less BMWs sold overall and the owners of the N54 335i, especially the ones that still own them, are typically "enthusiasts" so there isn't much squawking at service costs.

I've seen it, and have cleaned them myself. Matter-of-fact, here's THE FIRST result on Google when you query "N54 Carbon Build Up."

That and walnut blasting the intake isn't a huge costly item on the N54. There are a few DIYs on youtube. I'd say most 335i owners are more concerned about when their turbos will fail.

That and walnut blasting the intake isn't a huge costly item on the N54. There are a few DIYs on youtube. I'd say most 335i owners are more concerned about when their turbos will fail.

It's not expensive on the 2.0 VW either, but the owners are typically more "budget conscious."

There was a big stink regarding the Audi 4.2 carbon problems, and to a lesser extent the 5.2, but there aren't many of those around....

Originally Posted By: crinkles
TIA

And what went wrong?
I have Tiguan 2011, I drive it like I stole it, saw temperatures from -47c to +49c, skiing, desert, etc. Only thing that died was drip hose for AC which I punctured when I was cleaning it.

aircon failed at 2000 miles - compressor replaced. aircon worked again for about 500 miles. then failed again.
aircon expansion valve now needs replacement. they tell the the 2nd compressor is fine, jsut the valve that needs replacement. Brand new car is being garaged and used on school bus run (it's hitting 40 deg C here routinely - i need aircon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back