VW surpasses Toyota as number one in sales 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Quote:
And?

I'm not denying that Toyota had sludge issues. It was you who stated that VW turbos break due to owners using wrong oil. Toyota sludge problems are a separate issue, not sure why you are bringing that up.

To run this to a conclusion: are you saying that my turbo snapped due to just old age or a lark? That, despite proper oil usage, it failed due to defect?

Could be defect. Could be fuel. I had turbo failing on PD TDI due to fuel.
Could be manufacturing defect. Point is, all manufacturers have issues, however, many of issues on VW's and other are avoidable only if drivers paid just a bit more attention.

So you agree: VW has issues, just like everyone else?

But I'm still an idiot for buying a Toyota. Or I'm brain dead, mindless, whatever. That'd be your next point to make, right? That I drive 10 under the limit, in the left lane, etc, wouldn't know a good car if it ran me over, so on and so forth.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If you knew how to work a wrench, your "arm and a leg" repair costs would decrease by about 400%.
smile.gif

Really. How does that work?

What does a Euro car dealer charge per hour?

It was ~$700 to do the TB at the Volvo dealer. I swallowed my teeth.

I did it for ~$130. Volvo parts purchased online.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The only Lexus I like (and by like I mean love) is the LS.

It's a proper luxury ride. All the rest are tarted-up Toyotas.

Euro IS are great RWD saloons. I wouldn't mind one at all. Good alternative to the 3series.

Originally Posted By: supton
Quote:
And?

I'm not denying that Toyota had sludge issues. It was you who stated that VW turbos break due to owners using wrong oil. Toyota sludge problems are a separate issue, not sure why you are bringing that up.

To run this to a conclusion: are you saying that my turbo snapped due to just old age or a lark? That, despite proper oil usage, it failed due to defect?

Could be defect. Could be fuel. I had turbo failing on PD TDI due to fuel.
Could be manufacturing defect. Point is, all manufacturers have issues, however, many of issues on VW's and other are avoidable only if drivers paid just a bit more attention.

So you agree: VW has issues, just like everyone else?

But I'm still an idiot for buying a Toyota. Or I'm brain dead, mindless, whatever. That'd be your next point to make, right? That I drive 10 under the limit, in the left lane, etc, wouldn't know a good car if it ran me over, so on and so forth.

Of course VW has issues. Apparently peopel here think that somehow Toyota is much more reliable car then VW, which is not true, and especially if you take into account Toyota's diesel engines which when they make more then 100K, is a news. As soon as Toyota needs to make competitive car that needs to utilize modern technology, there is a slew of problems.
Who said you are an idiot? However, problem with Toyota drivers is not that they drive 10mph below speed limit per se, but that they do not pay attention what is happening around them at all. 90% of Toyota drivers is appealed by Toyota because of simplicity, because driving is hurdle, because they hate to bother with that exercise. However, that is a problem when you are one of the participants in traffic and they do not pay attention. Subaru drivers are becoming like that since Subaru switched to "build as boring as possible car" strategy.
Toyota's are good cars, that is it. Good because they are outdated. When you pack 20 yrs old technology in the car, etc. it is easy to claim reliability. There are people like that, but whether you like it or not, majority of Toyota drivers are menace on the road.
Toyota is so superior to Euro cars, that it is using BMW engines, platforms because of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
...mention Toyota resale?

I am buying car to drive, not thinking about resale. You saying Toyota's are like boat: happiest day is when you buy it and sell it?

No, it was the 400% decrease I was asking about.

Math is hard.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
If you knew how to work a wrench, your "arm and a leg" repair costs would decrease by about 400%.
smile.gif

It's the case with most Euro cars.

On the BMWs I service, oil changes are $150 at the dealership. When I do it, the oil and filter costs $50 max.

No, it was the 400% decrease I was asking about.

Math is hard.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
smile.gif

It's the case with most Euro cars.

On the BMWs I service, oil changes are $150 at the dealership. When I do it, the oil and filter costs $50 max.

Front brakes in my local BMW are $900 with labor.
Textar pads (OEM supplier) online are $76, and two Brembo rotors are $180
Brake fluid change is $175. ATE TYP200 fluid is $18 for liter, and you need one time investment of $45 for vacuum pump.
Fluid change in transmission is $1500 in local BMW. 7 liters of ZF6 fluid is needed, 7X$25= 175. They do not change filter (integrated in the pan) which is OEM BMW $300, while ZF made (manufacturer of transmission) is $98 on Amazon. My Indy is charging $170 for labor for pan +fluid, so 175+98+170= $443 (again BMW does not consider pan necessary to change, but pan would be $300+1500=1800 plus additional price for labor to take out pan).
However, best example. BMW charges oil change for diesel $90 here, but $250 for DEF+oil. 1.5 liter of DEF in BMW is $15. So instead of filling DEF in BMW, you go to local Wal Mart and you get 2.5 gallons of Peak DEF for $8, +Mobil1 5W30 ESP is sometimes on sale in NAPA for $5.99 a liter or Valvoline 5W40 MST goes for $4.99 a quart. OEM filter in BMW is $17.
So, buy DIY or taking to trusted Indy, you save a lot! Sometimes it is 400%, sometimes more then 400%, sometimes 50%, but you get the point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
...thing about a simple Toyota is they run.

Let me rate my Toyota experience....

Safety. Not fast enough to be dangerous, Slow enough to get you killed.
Brakes. To much front brake bias, Eats front pads, Rear brakes are noisy.
Handling. It doesn't!!
Steering. Vague, No "Center"
Ride Quality. Like [censored].
Engine noise. LOUD, Sounds like marbles rolling around in a tin can.
Engine performance. LOL........A 1989 Grand Am with a Quad-4 would walk this car.
Transmission. OK...Probably the best part on the car.
Interior. CHEAP.
HVAC. A/C performance is marginal on hot days, Heat is OK...Surprised the hamster could produce adequate heat!
Entertainment. Speakers blew in a couple years, Radio display dead, Auxiliary jack dead, CD player dead.
Dealer & Corporate experience. VERY POOR, Oil leak since new, Dealer & Corporate refused to fix it after pleading with them & proof it was getting worse by the mile.......Took it in for some "Recall" work right after the powertrain had expired, Got a estimate for repairing a serious oil leak.

In fact, I can't drive it right now because the "Anti Theft" chip in the key is screwed up.

I can't say what I really think of Toyota of America or Freeman Toyota in Hurst TX. on this site, Use your imagination.

It may be just a Lemon, I had a Dodge Diesel pick-up that had a lot of issues once.....But at least Daimler-Chrysler & Dealer made several attempts to correct the issues no matter how small. Toyota blew me off on every complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: pete643
Customers were not defrauded, they received a VW car with more power and mileage. Who buys cars because of emissions specs? The only entity that was defrauded was the government.
I do.
So do other VW Customers who were interviewed and said, "I thought I was getting Clean Diesel, and now it turns-out my car is polluting the air my neighbors breathe."

Also when they drive their VW into an emissions test and it FAILS, costing them thousands to repair (and it's VW's fault for cheating the test/car/customer), even customers who don't care about dirty exhaust will be angry.

The problem with people like yourself, is you think its OKAY to spit soot & ground-level ozone out of your car, and cause breathing problems for asthmatics & other fragile people.

You lack sympathy & empathy.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
PURE DATA doesn't lie.

No, but people certainly do. They also like to conveniently omit details that are paramount

The Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens we drive in the US come out of the same factories as the Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens the UK drives. The engine reliability will be identical, because the engines are all designed by the same Japanese and German engineers.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Give me a break. Is Toyota perfect? Nobody is, but they have fewer problems than any automaker.

I boycotted Toyota when they had a sludge-engine
and then voided customer warranties for ten years (until sued by the U.S. government).
I don't like when a trillion-dollar megacorp screws the working class.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
The Japanese, on the other hand, have focused on simplicity and sticking with what works. For comparison sake, a '16 Camry in my neck of the woods with 1AZ-FE 2.0L engine that utilizes SFI technology and produces 145 hp and 140 ft-lbs of torque. A '16 Passat with the 2.0 TSI BlueMotion, on the other hand, utilizes TSI (direct injection and turbo charging),,,,

Your post is so hilariously wrong.

- Who owns the record for the highest-MPG car ever made? Japanese company (Honda Insight at 70 MPG old test/61 mpg new test).
- Who pushed forward new technology and sold the very FIRST hybrid in 1997? Japanese company (Toyota prius)
- Who keeps winning Wards Best V6 Engine award? Japanese company (Honda won 7 times in ten years)

- Who wins Wards Best Engine Awards for best hybrid? Japanese companies (Prius G1, G2, G3, G4, and Honda Insight, Civic, Accord)
- Who leased the first Hydrogen fuel cell for customer use? Japanese company. (Honda in 2008)
- Who sold the first hydrogen car? Japanese company. (Toyota Mirai in 2016)

Yeah the Germans are the ones doing all the innovating, while those lazy Japanese do nothing innovative at all & never win any awards.

504.00/507.00 can be used in 505.01 applications, except that PD engines love heavy Euro oils (5W40), which 504.00/507.00 is not and cannot be.

507.00 coils are not available in 5W-40 grade?

The reason PD engines like a heavy grade is because VW engineers screwed-up the lubrication of the camshaft, causing premature wear and eventual failure. (Yet another example of VW's poor engine reliability.)

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
PURE DATA doesn't lie.

No, but people certainly do. They also like to conveniently omit details that are paramount

The Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens we drive in the US come out of the same factories as the Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens the UK drives. The engine reliability will be identical, because the engines are all designed by the same Japanese and German engineers.

You need to get your Toyota and Honda facts right.
Honda in Europe is what you know here as Acura. Europe does not have the U.S. Accord and similar riding pieces of plastic.
Only car that Toyota offers in the Europe that resembles cars offered in the U.S. is Corolla, but European Corolla is heavier (sound isolation etc.) has diesels etc. European equivalent of Camry is Avensis which is completely different car, that that HUGE issues with 2.2 D-4D engines same as RAV4 had and IS with same engine. Toyota decided to jump to Munich to ask BMW to borrow some engines.
So, no my friend, Toyota and Honda in the U.S. do not have anything to do with European versions which are much more sophisticated, and with that have same if not even more issues then European counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back