Volvo trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Don't they come with Cat, Cummind or Detroit engines only? I've never seen a Volvo with a Volvo engine. Most have Detroit S-60's.

The most common engine you will find in a Volvo road tractor is a Cummins N14 in the older trucks and Cummins ISX in the newer trucks. The rest were a minority of Cats, Detroits, and even Volvo motors. Volvo now no longer has an option for the Cat motors and honestly I'm not sure if you can even get a detroit any more in a Volvo.

Hammer

At the risk of dragging this further off topic, Volvo seems to be increasingly pushing their own engines and drivetrains in place of the traditional Cat/Cummins/Detroit engines and whatever combination of drivetrain you chose. Also, Volvo owns Mack trucks, the lone major domestic manufacturer that has traditionally produced its own engine and drivetrain components. Which means though they may be under another name, Volvo engines and components now have a decent chunk of the domestic Class 8 truck market. Also, Detroit is owned by DaimlerChrysler, which through its Freightliner Group owns Freightliner, Western Star, American-LaFrance (fire engines), and perhaps some others I cant think of. As a result, you are seeing Detroits being less and less available to other manufacturers and perhaps they have ceased to become available at all in any trucks besides the Freightliner brands. I guess vertical integration of the heavy truck industry is well underway. As opposed to the traditional model of the truck manufacturer making the cab and chassis and the customer picking and choosing most other components. And that's a darn shame if you ask me.

Volvo's are made in my home town. Half the guys I went to high school with work there. You order which engine you want, including a Volvo engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back