VALVOLINE OIL FILTERS AT INSTANT OIL CHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure of the manufacturer (my guess would be Tear-o-lator, or Champ), but in my experience, WIX, OEM, or go home for Elantras/Hyundais. All the others make one heck of an obnoxious racket on startup.

My experience is different, no issues with noise or otherwise with the VO filters or any other aftermarket ones on any of my Hyundai/KIA owned throughout the years.

Manufacturer depends on how old stock is because I've removed same part number Valvoline filters that were obviously manufactured by different companies.

Originally Posted by Baseball17
Can anyone tell me who makes Valvoline filters and are they as good as OEM for my Hyundai Elantra Sel 2018?

I don't think any filter at a quick lube will be as good as OEM. You get what you pay for.

I don't know who's making them now, could be Puro US or perhaps Champ Labs. Whatever the case likely ok for ~5k mi. oci. That said, probably not as good as OEM from the standpoint Hyun/Kia uses silicone adbv which VIOC would be nitrile. And the latter may use a consolidated/downsized application like 6607 size instead of spec 9688/3593a size.

I suppose if really concerned could buy the Hy/Kia oem from WM or dealer (whichever less) and bring it with you. I don't know VIOC procedures, but WM TLE allows that and gives a small credit (~$2) for BYOF.

I doubt its as good as OEM, but itll work for reasonable intervals. They came by when I opened my shop to try and get me to stock their filters. They were in the neighborhood of 45-85 cents a filter, when the decent Manns/Mahle/Hengst run anywhere from 4-19$. Even the cheapest NPN A-02 for the hondas is still about 2.50 a can.

They were Purolator, last I was there they were Champ (at VIOC). They did OK, but I wouldn't push them much past 5K, they're like any other lower end Service Champ or private label Purolator, cheap cellulose, quick hardening nitrile ADBVs.

There have some Valvoline branded filters cut and posted here over the years if you want to look, but as mentioned vendors change every time the wind shifts.

On a side not, we have used Fram 9688s on a 15 Kia Soul since new and never an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back