Used Octanium madditive by accident. How screwed am I?

Was having boost knock in my 2003 JDM Subaru and wanted to make sure it wasn't the tune since it's been an issue for a while. The easiest way to rule this out was to drastically increase the octane rating since I'm tuned for 91.

I grabbed what I thought was octanium unleaded but after using the full tank and throwing out the bottle I had in a box in the trunk I noticed I somehow grabbed madditive.

Just recently did new plugs so I'm pretty annoyed at myself.

How much damage did I do with the MMT and Tetraethyl lead?

It was one can in 3/4 tank of fuel in a 16 gallon tank.

so 32 oz in 12 gallons

All of their octane boosters are called Madditive, including the Octanium.

You can dilute by refilling your tank when it gets down to 1/2, then refill again when the next tank gets down to 1/2, over maybe 3-5 tanks. And then don't use any other octane booster for at least the rest of the year.

For the sake of being able to replace the spark plugs, I hope your JDM engine is SOHC :sneaky:

so 32 oz in 12 gallons

All of their octane boosters are called Madditive, including the Octanium.

You can dilute by refilling your tank when it gets down to 1/2, then refill again when the next tank gets down to 1/2, over maybe 3-5 tanks. And then don't use any other octane booster for at least the rest of the year.

For the sake of being able to replace the spark plugs, I hope your JDM engine is SOHC :sneaky:
It's not sohc, I've diluted it twice now and everything seems to be running fine, not sure I'll bother replacing the plugs unless I start noticing issues just because they are a month old and it's a PITA

If anything the 02 sensors may have trouble and unfortunately the cat could get damaged. Plugs are the least of the possible issues.
From the reading I've done people have contacted them and they say around 30k miles of use for real damage. Seems like one bottle, while not smart, won't have caused any real damage. Will be calling them tomorrow to confirm.

Was having boost knock in my 2003 JDM Subaru and wanted to make sure it wasn't the tune since it's been an issue for a while. The easiest way to rule this out was to drastically increase the octane rating since I'm tuned for 91.

I grabbed what I thought was octanium unleaded but after using the full tank and throwing out the bottle I had in a box in the trunk I noticed I somehow grabbed madditive.

Just recently did new plugs so I'm pretty annoyed at myself.

How much damage did I do with the MMT and Tetraethyl lead?

It was one can in 3/4 tank of fuel in a 16 gallon tank.
You didn't hurt anything with just one tank.

I use Boostane though, the Marine variant which is O2 and cat safe (since I have both still). With the boostane Marine, it takes .4 ounces per gallon to go from 93 to 99 Octane.

But did it help the ping?
No but it helped me narrow down that it wasn't tune or fuel related and that led me to sit under the thing for a day pulling on heat shields and checking motor mounts. Ended up being a loose heat shield on the inner side of the up pipe.

Last time I used the unleaded version a few years ago for the same thing, was a bad knock sensor. Easier to try this first than troubleshooting without process of elimination

You didn't hurt anything with just one tank.

I use Boostane though, the Marine variant which is O2 and cat safe (since I have both still). With the boostane Marine, it takes .4 ounces per gallon to go from 93 to 99 Octane.
Yeah the stupidest part about this is I have boostane premium (similar chemicals) here for my drift WRX and I specifically drove to get unleaded stuff and still grabbed the wrong bottle.

Live and learn from such mistakes.

That fuel must be up to about 150 octane by now.
I think the VP stuff is weaker, the whole bottle only treats 15 gallons (my tank is 16.1) for 8 octane points. I just needed to get near 94 to rule out tuning/fuel issues.

I think the VP stuff is weaker, the whole bottle only treats 15 gallons (my tank is 16.1) for 8 octane points. I just needed to get near 94 to rule out tuning/fuel issues.
The Boostane Marine version raises octane the same amount per ounce as the Pro version but is cat and O2 safe.

And it’s 10 octane points = 1 octane rating higher, right?
The Boostane stuff is full octane points, it take .4 ounces per gallon to raise octane 6 full points (93 to 99 for me). After 6 points, the curve of how much is needed per gallon goes up tremendously.

Well starting with 91 octane fuel that wouldn't even bring you to 92. 10 points per octane

Back