Used Motor oil for chain saw bar lube????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ran out of bar lube for my Husky chain saw. I have a gallon of used Redline 10w40 in my shed...was wondering if anyone has ever used motor oil for bar lube?

I have. I've also used old odd heavy weight (60W) oils handed down to me for disposal. It may not be ideal, with the staying power that chain saw specific lubes have, but lube is lube. Though 10W-40 may be more appropriate for the winter months.

I do. I typically make a mix. After the tornado went through Mass a couple of years ago, I found that it helps when cutting green pine.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Making sure you don't run out while you're cutting is what you have to do.
We've all used motor oil (new and used) as bar & chain oil. Kira
Yah, the obverse of that is , that if it doesn't leak, it may be empty. This is an oil forum. You're preaching to the Choir
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
So....I've given my mother quite a bit of used motor oil to use as weed killer...you guys are saying that all I'd have to do is add some STP and I'd have bar and chain lube?

Finger some "real" bar and chain lube and feel how it's sticky. This is what you hope to replicate with STP.

I don't suspect it's perfect, and I don't suspect the science behind bar & chain lube is NASA-level anyway.

Originally Posted By: Red91
So....I've given my mother quite a bit of used motor oil to use as weed killer...you guys are saying that all I'd have to do is add some STP and I'd have bar and chain lube?

STP type stuff in used 15w-40 works for me.

You are using used motor oil to kill weeds!!

The secret ingredient in chain/bar lube is tack additive to keep it clinging to the metal parts before it is cut or rubbed off.

I think STP is costly enough that it's probably cheaper to buy cheap chain/bar lube by the gallon from Walmart or any other place if/when you see it on sale.

Originally Posted By: Red91

Is used motor oil carcinogenic? I think so, is your Mom or neighbors on a well? I think there are better products to kill weeds.

Originally Posted By: JLDJ
Just ran out of bar lube for my Husky chain saw. I have a gallon of used Redline 10w40 in my shed...was wondering if anyone has ever used motor oil for bar lube?

No, use bar oil, its cheap enough. Bar oil has a tacky component that helps it stick to the chain better than plain oil. Plus used motor oil has bad contaminants in it.

Just like oil for an engine, anything is better than nothing. I'm not a lumberjack so my gallon of Stihl winter blend bar and chain oil has lasted me years.

I've done the "used oil and STP" thing many times. Not worth it, IMHO. I swear it resulted in more rapid chain wear, but of course I have no way to prove that. And, it makes a mess, as used oil is very black.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: JLDJ

No, use bar oil, its cheap enough. Bar oil has a tacky component that helps it stick to the chain better than plain oil. Plus used motor oil has bad contaminants in it.

Agree.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I am currently using free non-detergent 40wt in my chainsaw...

Any opinions on that?

That type of oil is going to sling off the bar/chain much easier, than actual bar and chain oil, causing more wear on the bar and chain. I have cut wood for years and have never used anything but bar and chain oil. At the speeds the chain is moving around the bar, you need the actual bar and chain oil to stick to the moving parts as much as possible. I do not see why anyone would use contaminated motor oil or anything other than bar and chain oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back