Old Craftsman Chainsaw

Had to cut up a branch that fell during some winds. Choices of electric HF chain saw, Milwaukee 18V pole saw, Milwaukee Sawzall with pruning blade, hand saw....or dads late 70's early 80's Craftsman. I think it's a Homelite from when I had to work on it. Hasn't been started in about 1 year but when last used was full of bar/chain oil and run on either VP or TruFuel premix.

This thing was ALWAYS a PITA to start. Dad would get frustrated but eventually always started. It saw a lot of wood cutting, lots of chains and some blades. There is no chain brake, no throttle trigger hold to help start. Once it starts and warms up, it idles good, will crank right up on first pull. When it's cold sucks. I did have to replace the fuel line about 7-8 years ago and find a gas cap that didn't leak gas from vent. The cap was a challenge since all was discontinued.

Either way it still works, great to have for emergencies. Lots of flashback memories cutting wood with dad, complaining as a kid but always learned and did it. Wish I could still do that with him.

Need to start it more often. BITOG - using ST Bar and Chain and VP premix currently.

IMG_3134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's quite a story behind those old saws! They were all made by Poulan, and there were millions made and rebranded to be sold under different names.
I still have an original one that I use myself. Take the fuel out of the tank when you store it, and leave the gas cap off! Otherwise it will swell from the alcohol in the fuel. Not easy to find one anymore.

^This. I had a Craftsman saw exactly like that only mine was a yellowish/tan color. Mid seventies Poulan and Mine was a good little trim saw.

This. I still have my dad's Poulan. Only difference between the Poulan and the one pictured, is the Poulan is green.

Yup, that’s a Poulan 25D labeled as Craftsman. I have one also. It’s a hard working little dog and have cut a LOT of wood with it. Has no safety features and is loud as a cob, but starts and runs great. Has a point ignition but is generally very reliable.These are great little saws. Mix mine at 50:1 with Supertech oil..ports are very clean.

Back