used motor oil experiment

I have ran old 2 cycle mix in my 4 cycle lawn mower, just to burn it up. It is the 48:1 mix, and I have had no problems. I figure one tankful of 2 cycle mix each season, followed by 25+ tanks full of ethanol free gas, isn't going to hurt anything. I've done this 2 or 3 times in the 15 year life of my mower, and the engine shows no sign of wearing out. Still going strong.

I totally get running experiments on an engine. But for me, the experiment would be to see what type of engine renewal cleaners may actually work, to make the old engine run better. Something like BG products. Or Seafoam.

project farm on YouTube has done most all engine treatments. im trying some experimental ones (maybe homemade seafoam)

"I put used oil in the gas tank and now it leaks water from the air cooled engine."
no it already did that before the oil in the gas lol. the water was in the exhaust and in the storage compartment under the seat.

no problems related to the oil yet, the scooter runs nice and smooth. I have increased the dosage of gas to oil. no, I didn't measure it, but there is about 1/2 cup of oil in 1.3 gallons of gas.

no it already did that before the oil in the gas lol. the water was in the exhaust and in the storage compartment under the seat.

no problems related to the oil yet, the scooter runs nice and smooth. I have increased the dosage of gas to oil. no, I didn't measure it, but there is about 1/2 cup of oil in 1.3 gallons of gas.
That would be a ratio of about 41:1 - 42:1. Standard ratio is 48:1. Is this what you have used before?

before I was running about 64:1 ratio. this scooter is a 4 stroke. i pulled the spark plug today and there is some carbon buildup on the insulator but the electrodes look good. the threads were oily. the electrodes and insulator on the plug are bone dry, and the exhaust isn't smoky and smells normal. i checked the plug before and it looked the same other than the threads were dry. i forgot if the plug had carbon on it before the oil experiment, but the piston too had a normal amount of carbon (smooth even coating with a clean spot by the intake valve recess and no chunky buildup.)

took it for a long ride today, smokes when you floor it after a long idle, doesn't smoke the rest of the time. took the plug out and it has slightly less deposits than it did this morning, i think from the time spent at WOT and fully warm. usually i just ride the scooter around the yard and it's not running for more than 5 minutes.

if the oil carbons up the engine then we can see what cleaners work the best. im not buying cleaners though, snake oil is getting expensive, so i might try diesel or water something (through the intake)

and the whole point of this thread is to do stupid stuff for science

still no problems with the scooter, used nearly 1/2 gallon of fuel oil mix. exhaust pipe fell off after a long and muddy ride, probably because I jumped the scooter. it runs the same as before the oil experiment.

your idea of yielding power via combustion of the oil portion is staked on the idea that the engine will combust the oil. I understand that since it comes at no additional cost, something is better than nothing. However, your engine may break down some of it, and that might provide you some no-cost power, but what doesn't break down is not negligible. A remainder portion of that partially cracked and coked oil and ash is going to bond together on the metal, in the chamber by the rings, increasing blowby, which allows cylinder pressure to bypass in combustion. Without rotation of the rings, the surface finish of the liner will be marred. Meaning, the engine power will be lost, and it is permanent until the surface finish is restored by an engine overhaul shop. Gasoline engines are not meant to process less vaporizable, high MW hydrocarbons like diesel and oil. Gas additives have to be carefully picked to aid lubricity without jeopardizing long-term cylinder cleanliness.

I had a moped with a Sachs 50cc engine and a Bing carburetor about 25 years ago. It ran better with twice the 2 stroke oil that was recommended. I drove that moped all over my neighborhood in Niedermohr Germany.

your idea of yielding power via combustion of the oil portion is staked on the idea that the engine will combust the oil. I understand that since it comes at no additional cost, something is better than nothing. However, your engine may break down some of it, and that might provide you some no-cost power, but what doesn't break down is not negligible. A remainder portion of that partially cracked and coked oil and ash is going to bond together on the metal, in the chamber by the rings, increasing blowby, which allows cylinder pressure to bypass in combustion. Without rotation of the rings, the surface finish of the liner will be marred. Meaning, the engine power will be lost, and it is permanent until the surface finish is restored by an engine overhaul shop. Gasoline engines are not meant to process less vaporizable, high MW hydrocarbons like diesel and oil. Gas additives have to be carefully picked to aid lubricity without jeopardizing long-term cylinder cleanliness.
So tcw3 in a gasoline vehicle is a no no too?

Back