Turbo GT86 best available 5W40?

Hey guys,
I track a Turbo GT86/BRZ with a built engine, and Im recommended using 5W40.
I currently run Motul 8100 X-Cess, but the valvetrain and engine is extremely noisy.
We don't have too many available oils around here, the most common and available options are:
Castrol, Motul (8100/300V), Valvoline, and LiquiMoly, while I can perhaps get Mobil1 Super 3000 and Shell Helix Ultra. We have Amsoil, and Rowe Racing oils, but they cost $160 for 5L which I cant justify.

Which of the oils would you recommend using, which is the best available option out of the limited selection we have here?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
A similar oil from Castrol, Valvoline, Shell Helix, or LM should fit the bill nicely. I wouldn't stress out by trying to find the "best oil". 300V would be good as well, although you could probably run a thinner oil since it is so robust.

Not sure if any of them will help with noise though. Any reason that you don't like a noisy track car?

5w40 A3/B4?

Castrol in 5w40 don't recommended if not cheap (nothing special).
  • Meguin Megol Super Leichtlauf 5w40 (PAO)
  • Shell HX7 and Helix Ultra 5w40 (GTL)
  • Valvoline All Climate and SynPower 5w40
  • Petronas Syntium 3000
  • Motul X-Cess gen2 5w40
  • Mobil Super 3000 5w40
I would try 0w40, most PAO or semi-PAO:
  • Meguin Megol Super Leichtlauf Driver 0w40
  • Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0w40
  • Elf 900 FT 0w40
  • Valvoline Synpower 0w40
  • Motul X-Max 0w40
  • Castrol Edge 0w40
  • Mobil 1 FS 0w40
  • Shell Helix Ultra 0w40

A similar oil from Castrol, Valvoline, Shell Helix, or LM should fit the bill nicely. I wouldn't stress out by trying to find the "best oil". 300V would be good as well, although you could probably run a thinner oil since it is so robust.

Not sure if any of them will help with noise though. Any reason that you don't like a noisy track car?
Do any provide more protection or additives than the Motul 8100 I currently use?
And I don't feel like the ticking noise is healthy or is supposed to be that loud, and really worried the oil may be the cause of it.

5w40 A3/B4?

Castrol in 5w40 don't recommended if not cheap (nothing special).
  • Meguin Megol Super Leichtlauf 5w40 (PAO)
  • Shell HX7 and Helix Ultra 5w40 (GTL)
  • Valvoline All Climate and SynPower 5w40
  • Petronas Syntium 3000
  • Motul X-Cess gen2 5w40
  • Mobil Super 3000 5w40
I would try 0w40, most PAO or semi-PAO:
  • Meguin Megol Super Leichtlauf Driver 0w40
  • Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0w40
  • Elf 900 FT 0w40
  • Valvoline Synpower 0w40
  • Motul X-Max 0w40
  • Castrol Edge 0w40
  • Mobil 1 FS 0w40
  • Shell Helix Ultra 0w40
Why would you recommend 0w40 over 5w40?
And which oil from the list I wrote would you recommend most?

In 5w40 Meguin Megol (Liqui Moly cousin but cheaper). After Valvoline and Petronas.

About 0w40 is a big history.

In 5w40 Meguin Megol (Liqui Moly cousin but cheaper). After Valvoline and Petronas.

About 0w40 is a big history.
I dont have Meguin or Petronas, so I can get Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech, and Valvoline SynPower
and Valvoline SynPower

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5w40 is similar to others 5w40 but not Meguin. The Meguin PAO cousin is LM Synthoil High Tech 5w40. After Valvoline Synpower.

Do any provide more protection or additives than the Motul 8100 I currently use?
And I don't feel like the ticking noise is healthy or is supposed to be that loud, and really worried the oil may be the cause of it.
300V will be the biggest difference. It has higher levels of moly and ZDDP. But the only way to know if any oil will produce different valvetrain noise is to try it. There is also the possibility of a mechanical issue. Did someone build the engine for you and have you contacted them?

Also have a look on ft86club.com.

Hey guys,
I track a Turbo GT86/BRZ with a built engine, and Im recommended using 5W40.
I currently run Motul 8100 X-Cess, but the valvetrain and engine is extremely noisy.
We don't have too many available oils around here, the most common and available options are:
Castrol, Motul (8100/300V), Valvoline, and LiquiMoly, while I can perhaps get Mobil1 Super 3000 and Shell Helix Ultra. We have Amsoil, and Rowe Racing oils, but they cost $160 for 5L which I cant justify.

Which of the oils would you recommend using, which is the best available option out of the limited selection we have here?

Thank you so much!
In my experience I use Ravenol VST 5w-40 in my daily driver (BMW 528I N20 Motor) with confidence. Also, I have an affinity for Redline motor oil in the 5w-40 flavor as well. RL is ester based and while not suited for long or extended runs--it does very nicely in the crankcase for higher performing motors such as yours. RL is born form and for racing first and foremost.

Some others may chime in to support my views. Also, you may search for UOA on the site to see what has been recorded by members using other 5w-40's for performance needs.

Some others may chime in to support my views. Also, you may search for UOA on the site to see what has been recorded by members using other 5w-40's for performance needs.
Which would only be useful if a UOA illustrated the performance of a motor oil.

In my experience I use Ravenol VST 5w-40 in my daily driver (BMW 528I N20 Motor) with confidence. Also, I have an affinity for Redline motor oil in the 5w-40 flavor as well. RL is ester based and while not suited for long or extended runs--it does very nicely in the crankcase for higher performing motors such as yours. RL is born form and for racing first and foremost.

Well I dont have Ravenol or Redline over here, only the ones I've mentioned in the OP. The oil selection here is quite poor and prices are rather expensive

300V will be the biggest difference. It has higher levels of moly and ZDDP. But the only way to know if any oil will produce different valvetrain noise is to try it. There is also the possibility of a mechanical issue. Did someone build the engine for you and have you contacted them?

Also have a look on ft86club.com.
Could have a try with the 300V then, do any other oils have higher levels of moly and ZDDP from the list I provided or only the 300V?
And I've seen several, they all claim it's standard when having a built engine, especially with performance camshafts and valve springs

50 Mobile 1? As in 5w50?
And I use 98 RON with Meth injection.
The meth/water will be breaking down the oil pretty quickly. Most who use any alcohol, e85 etc usually go up a grade, especially if the car is modified as well. Are you in Australia or NZ?

Last edited:
Meth? Bump viscosity to XW50 or try 300V.
Noise could be from mechanical issue. Of regular oils Mobil1 0W40FS or Castrol Edge 0W40 would be my choice and X-Cess is probably at same quality level. Both Castrol and M1 will have similar ZDDP levels.

We don't have too many available oils around here, ....
Well I dont have Ravenol or Redline over here, only the ones I've mentioned in the OP. The oil selection here is quite poor and prices are rather expensive

Where exactly is "here"? Location has a huge effect on choice and prices.

Motul 300V is hardly any mistake if the price isn't excessive.

(I too would have suggested Redline and Ravenol RCS when available)

Castrol would be my first choice if you want the engine to run more quiet. If that doesn't help not sure what will.

Meth? Bump viscosity to XW50 or try 300V.
Noise could be from mechanical issue. Of regular oils Mobil1 0W40FS or Castrol Edge 0W40 would be my choice and X-Cess is probably at same quality level. Both Castrol and M1 will have similar ZDDP levels.
If I change my oil regularly, would you still recommend changing over to 5w50?
Also, are 0w40s better than the 5w40 equivalent?

Where exactly is "here"? Location has a huge effect on choice and prices.

Motul 300V is hardly any mistake if the price isn't excessive.

(I too would have suggested Redline and Ravenol RCS when available)
Here is middle east (Israel). So 0-20C during winter and 20-45C during summer at most extremes. Oil temperatures, however, never pass around 105-110C even on track.

Back